INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoyance with modifying views  (Read 2364 times)

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
Annoyance with modifying views
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »

When I modify a set view it comes up at the end with a dialogue giving me the opportunity to rename it.  Once a view is no longer a set view and is named what you want when you change it you no longer get that option. to rename.  I was trying to take a view and modify it but not overwrite the existing view.  I could not find an easy way to do this.   What I was doing was splitting an  audio view by genres with one view being the opposite of the other.   Each time I edited it I could apply the change but it would override the existing view.  I either need to be able to make a copy of a view or better I need that renaming dialogue to be available to all edits - why not.

I have found a way to do what I need.  If I copy and paste from the edit menu then it creates a copy one level down which you can rename and the drag up a level and use move.   It still would be a lot simpler that when you alter a view you get the option to rename it.  That can't be anything but a very simple change especially as that is just what happens for set views. Does everybody agree it would be better that way.

Peter Rowan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Annoyance with modifying views
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:49:08 pm »

Drag the view in the tree and drop it onto the parent (or any other node in the tree), and it'll give you a pop-up menu where you can choose to Move or Copy.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Castius

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »

As a side note.
I notice views with larger number of items are a bit slow when you drag and drop.
So it can be hard to tell what you can do with the view once you start to drag it.

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:54:24 am »

Yes the drag works and I did that in the end but it why not keep the option to rename the view so that all edits to views are consistent.   I would be a very small change.  Consistency makes it easier to learn how to use software.   Doing something very simple took me a lot longer than I expected.  I learnt a work around so the function is there but through some frustration.

Peter Rowan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:40:06 am »

Yes the drag works and I did that in the end but it why not keep the option to rename the view so that all edits to views are consistent. 

I don't know what you're talking about with the renaming thing.

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:54 am »

I don't know what you're talking about with the renaming thing.

If you take one of the provided base views - say All Albums when you alter it at the very end there is an option to rename that view rather than overwriting it.  If the view is not a base view that option does not appear so if you edit a view and save you have changed that view. I am just saying that I would prefer to have the option of renaming it provided for all view edits.  This is because I create many views such as Classical, Pop, which have many filters in common so creating one from another is very fast but only if you can keep the original and save the edit as something else.  There is a workaround in that you have to copy the view rename it and then move it and then edit it but even writing it down shows how less simple it is then editing a view and being able to rename it.

Its not a big deal but just input into the process of making software easier to use.   I am a fan of JRiver.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »

Have you thought about saving your views (or some of them) as templates? Then when you want to do a similar one you can just select it like any out of the box view. Afterwards rename all you want .. they become hard files on your hard drive that way ... they can be backed up and put on clients easily too.

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:15:16 pm »

Thanks. That works well

Peter Rowan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:21 pm »

If you take one of the provided base views - say All Albums when you alter it at the very end there is an option to rename that view rather than overwriting it.  If the view is not a base view that option does not appear so if you edit a view and save you have changed that view.

I didn't see your reply before.

I'm pretty sure you can replicate that behavior on your own Media Views by checking Customize View > Settings > Advanced > Lock View.  When you do this, any changes to the View (including the toggling of this option, incidentally) generate this dialog:

Is this the dialog you mean?

Pages: [1]   Go Up