INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't add Skins with 9.1  (Read 3784 times)

rickscogland

Can't add Skins with 9.1
« on: October 08, 2003, 07:29:44 am »

I've always liked/used the "Astro" skin, but after downloading version 9.1, it will no longer allow me to install ANY skins other than the three it comes with (with previous new versions, I don't even remember ever needing to re-download previously installed skins).  I get a message something like, "Failed to install skin "Astro"  Reverting to default skin."  This happens with ALL available mega-me skins now.  -Rick

Media Center Registered 9.1.269 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 598 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 35 MB
Resource Info: System - 69 %, GDI - 80 %, User - 69 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX140E     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re: Can't add Skins with 9.1
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 07:36:27 am »

Rick,

I believe the skins have to be updated for them to work on 9.1.  They won't work because the window and regions look very different, and the skins need to be re-written in order to function with 9.1.  If you are comfortable with PhotoShop and the minimal XML code involved with doing so, you can edit them yourself if you like.

There are many other skins available for 9.1, however (more than the 3 default ones). Head over to the Third Party Skins board and check that out -- there are some *great* skins available there.

Hope this helps

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 07:38:16 am »

Thanks DJ, I didn't realize it was such a simple change.

crow

**Edit: somehow this post got moved to before DJ's post but it logically belongs after it **

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 07:38:32 am »

The XML-definitions have changed.

Try to edit the first line of the corresponding XML-file in the skin-directory.

Instead of

<MJMS version="2.0">

there should be

<MJMS version="3.0">

The the skins should work.

But i think, this only works with 9.0-skins, not with older skins.

rickscogland

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 08:07:04 am »

I'm not comfortable with Photo Shop or XML and I couldn't find any skins in the third party skins forum with working webpages.  If I just wait a few days, will the existing skins get updated?

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 08:21:00 am »

Rick,

Understood. I'm not totally comforatble myself, but if you make the simple change that DJ suggested (open the XML file using NotePad), it might help.

Here is a post that has a couple of the newer skins (including DJ_Hazlewood's excellent skin):

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Other_Plugins;action=display;num=1062597305

I don't know about the updating of older skins, but my guess would be no; JRiver or other skinners may be able to correct me here. However, I would guess that those who have developed skins for the 9.1 betas will probably release a final version now that 9.1 is official (or, the beta skins may already work with the final 9.1).  If you scroll down that Third Party forum, or go back a page or two, you can see some of the others that I am talking about (Windows, MediaOne, Brushed Metal, PixOS mini-me, etc). These may work with 9.1 (haven't tried them myself yet....)

Hope this helps

crow

rickscogland

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 08:39:34 am »

Unfortunately I think I need even more help.  When I open the XML file (called "main") it opens up in Internet Explorer, and I can't edit it ... anything I click acts like a link.  I could highlight the entire file (which looks like gibberish to someone like me) and paste it into Notepad.  I then changed the 1.0 to 3.0 and saved it as the XML file called main.  Now, when I click on main, there is only one line, and it says there are errors.

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 08:42:50 am »

Unfortunately I think I need even more help.  When I open the XML file (called "main") it opens up in Internet Explorer, and I can't edit it ...

You can right-klick it and select 'open with ...' and then select 'notepad'.

rickscogland

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 09:01:28 am »

For me, this aint woikin' ...

Whether right or left clicking, it only offers the "open" option ... no "open with" option, but no big deal ... I can copy/paste it into Notepad.  However, as I said before, when I change the 1.0 to 3.0 and then save the file as main.xml it only saves one line, and it wont work.  I have no idea why it wont work.  Should I be calling it 2.0 instead of 3.0? (I can't imagine that makes a difference).  I'm beginning to think this is way more effort than it's worth.

Side note:  How come every time I press the "Backspace" button on this forum, it deletes the last TWO charactors?  Every time I make one error and go to correct it, I end up deleting my entire thought before I realize what is happening!
Pages: [1]   Go Up