INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Anyone Answer Question? Handheld Device Sync and Track Order  (Read 1493 times)

senojhrj1

• Recent member
Can Anyone Answer Question? Handheld Device Sync and Track Order
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »

What determines the order of files of an album when synced to a Handheld Device?

For example, I performed a sync of The Endless River to a Flash Drive that was blank.  I want to play the tracks in the order they appear on the original CD.  The order seems to be random.  How do I control this to make the Flash Drive have the files in the same order as the original CD?  

Harry
Marietta GA

senojhrj1

• Recent member
Re: Can Anyone Answer Question? Handheld Device Sync and Track Order
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:01 am »

Matt or someone, please head me in the right direction with an answer to this question.
Harry  :)
Marietta GA

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:24:33 am »

It really doesn't have anything to do with how the files are synced but how the playback device reads the files on the disk.

It depends on a few factors really. How are the tracks named, are the tags filled in correctly and what are you using to read the flash drive and play back the tracks.
Most players will either order the files based on the track number tag or based on the filename in which case you should have the track number at the beginning of the filename.

So, in the case of 'The Endless River' I have the files named as follows:

01 - Things Left Unsaid.mp3
02 - It's What We Do.mp3
03 - Ebb and Flow.mp3
04 - Sum.mp3
etc, etc

Because the media player in my car will read the files in filename order.

Some older players, specifically earlier car audio systems would ignore all this and just read the files in the order that they were saved to the flash drive. This is more a failure in the playback system than in how the files are saved to the flash drive. There are some utilities available that will sort the file order to overcome these limitations.

If this is your problem then have a look at this thread on the HydrogenAudio forums http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=79667 which explains this and offers some solutions.

I hope this helps.

senojhrj1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »

RussellS Thanks!

I have a starting point now.  I am actually using the USB flash drive with my Marantz SR6008 receiver.  It appears the order is based on when each track has finished copying onto the flash drive.   

senojhrj1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

:)I've got this problem worked out!  I added Track Number to front part of the song file name and all is joy.  My Marantz SR6008 reads the music files in alphabetic order from a flash drive without the Track Number.

One can learn lot's of stuff when a problem occurs.

Harry
Marietta GA

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:34:09 pm »

I'm glad you got it sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up