INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash after a few minutes [Solved]  (Read 11387 times)

DragonOwen

• Recent member
Crash after a few minutes [Solved]
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:55:20 pm »

Hi, having troubles with .67, it's crashing very stable only after few minutes (2-5 at most) of working, tried to reboot a few times, tried to reinstall, even tried to re-download... effect still the same... .64 and earlier versions is working fine... I'm using MacMini (late 2012), OS X 10.9.5 with dCS Debussy DAC via USB... for now using .64 version and turned off auto-update function of JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Crash after a few minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:45:21 pm »

Try turning off auto import.  Try importing a single filetype at a time. 

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:18:53 pm »

Try turning off auto import.  Try importing a single filetype at a time. 
Tried... Seems working fine (15 minutes to the current moment), so probably "problem solved", thanks... But, with new version this issue will be fixed, right? Nevermind auto-import in background, but "importing single filetype at a time" is not too pleasant to me...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:26:36 pm »

We think there is a file type that is triggering the problem.  It may be AIFF.  You could try unchecking only AIFF imports.

If you can find a file that causes MC to hang, we'd like to have a copy.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »

We think there is a file type that is triggering the problem.  It may be AIFF.  You could try unchecking only AIFF imports.

If you can find a file that causes MC to hang, we'd like to have a copy.
As far as I know I don't have any AIFF in my media library  ? I don't think it will be easy to find trigger file in my 1.5TB audio media library  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

What file types do you have?  ALAC?

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:50:42 pm »

Searched for AIFF and ALAC (*.m4a) in folders with my media library... no such files (I found a few m4a files, but it's seems not ALAC  :-\ )...
As for what file types I have, it's various and I might not remember all because some part of my collection is still in "unsorted" state and some lossy part of my collection (part of the past) might also have some not standart file types... Most of my music is FLAC and mp3, I definitely have DFF, DSF, ISO, APE, also maybe have some AAC, WavPack or even TAK or TTA files...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »

Most of my music is FLAC and mp3, I definitely have DFF, DSF, ISO, APE, also maybe have some AAC, WavPack or even TAK or TTA files...
Try unchecking everything except these:

FLAC, mp3, APE

If that works, add in a couple more file types.

I don't know what these are:

TAK or TTA files...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »

Hmmmm... seems to find few m4a files in folders "Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf", this files are strange they about only about 100Kb-1.5Mb.... Damn Pure Music I only tried it for few minutes and deleted it year ago.... now will try to remove this files from media library and try to "auto-import in background" again... if it will not help will try your method...

TTA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TTA_(codec)
TAK - http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=TAK
I probably don't have them, I had an experience with them some years ago, I think I converted all them in FLAC, but not sure...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 05:19:14 pm »

Hmmmm... seems to find few m4a files in folders "Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf", this files are strange they about only about 100Kb-1.5Mb.... Damn Pure Music I only tried it for few minutes and deleted it year ago.... now will try to remove this files from media library and try to "auto-import in background" again...
Didn't help, so now trying auto-import with only FLAC, mp3, APE...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »

Didn't help, so now trying auto-import with only FLAC, mp3, APE...
Crashed again...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »

..... Now it's crashed even with "auto-import in background" off  :'( Rebooted... try to listen for about 10-20 minutes more or until crash, then go to sleep, it's already 2:34 AM here in Russia...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 05:51:33 pm »

..... Now it's crashed even with "auto-import in background" off  :'( Rebooted... try to listen for about 10-20 minutes more or until crash, then go to sleep, it's already 2:34 AM here in Russia...
For now seems to work fine (with "auto-import in background" off), so maybe just some coincidence or result of multiply crashes that JRiver crashed just now with "auto-import in background" off... So, goodnight for now, may try some other methods tomorrow if there will be some suggestions...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »

Try turning off Podcast downloads and audio analysis.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 04:16:21 am »

Try turning off Podcast downloads and audio analysis.
Audio analysis always was off (tried it one time some months ago, then again turn it off).
I don't have any podcasts in JRiver... and in parameters I didn't find where to turn off Podcast downloads, I only see how to change the time between searches of new episodes, should I type zero in there to turn it off?

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:04 am »

Tried manually auto-scan with all audio file types selection... The crash didn't happend at first step of files scan, but crash happend on the next step ("adding files to library") almost immediately (only after adding about 15-25 files out of 1995)... If the crash were to happend on the first step I would probably about finding the location of the trigger file (actually, this was the aim of this experiment), but as the crash happend on the next step the  experiment didn't help me at all  :(

P.S. BTW, my music collection is on NAS... also, I'm using my MacMini via Splashtop app, because it's in the rack with audio equipment and don't have connection to any monitor or controllers (mouse, keyboard, ...)... maybe it matters  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 07:49:39 am »

Try a test without the NAS involved.  They can sometimes have firmware bugs.

Try without Splashtop.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 08:07:57 am »

Try a test without the NAS involved.  They can sometimes have firmware bugs.
Hmmmm, but it will confirm nothing as I see it, because I don't have external drive that will fit all of my media library (not to mention that copy 1.5TB will take a while...), and if I copy some music on my MacMini SSD (about 50-80GB at most, as my SSD is only 128GB) and run auto-import, then if it's crashes it might mean that in this 50-80GB is a trigger file or it's some other issue, if JRiver don't crash then it might mean that it's NAS issue or trigger file is not in this 50-80GB of music..... so what exactly you propose me to do? ?

BTW, I'm using Synology DS414j NAS with latest DSM firmware...

Try without Splashtop.
OK, will try it today, but a bit later, because it quite a hassle, involves moving table near the rack, putting monitor on it and connecting monitor and keyboard + mouse to MacMini....

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Crash after a few minutes
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:03 am »

Testing without the NAS will tell you where the problem may be.  It may be a NAS firmware problem.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 08:26:59 am »

Testing without the NAS will tell you where the problem may be.  It may be a NAS firmware problem.
OK, will try it, but as I said above, because the test will be only with a small part of my music collection I think even if JRiver will not crash it will not necessarily mean that it's a NAS problem...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:15:19 am »

Randomly picked about 45GB of my audio collection and copy it to SSD of MacMini, start auto-import only with folder on SSD at MacMini... no crash... so it means it's either NAS issue or issue with some file/files in my collection (?)... so now I don't need to experiment without Splashtop?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 09:29:13 am »

I'm not sure what to say about Splashtop.

One more possibility is that some network device is triggering the crash.

If it's a file that is causing the problem, you should be able to find it by importing a single file type at a time from the NAS.  If you find a file that causes the problem, we'd like to see it.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 10:02:17 am »

Tried version 20.0.74.... The problem still there, stable crash on auto-import when search step is finished and after about 20 files (out of about 2000) added to library  :(  So probably will stay on version .64  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 10:06:24 am »

Try turning off Podcasting.  Tools > Options > Features.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 11:07:33 am »

Try turning off Podcasting.  Tools > Options > Features.
Tried, no effect, still crashing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:05 am »

Turn off auto import.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

Turn off auto import.
In background? It was done long ago, without it JRiver won't crash until I manually initialize auto-import, and when I manually start it then JRiver (versions .67 and .74) will crash as I wrote above... so I can live with .67 and .74 versions, but I can't use auto-import with it, which is kinda inconvenient (I can do auto-import with .64 version and then install .74 version on it)...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 01:09:50 pm »

Turn off import of video files.

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 02:03:12 pm »

Turn off import of video files.
Done it long ago, right after I firstly encounter the issue, and from that point I didn't turn it on (don't need video in JRiver at all actually)...

DragonOwen

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 05:42:39 am »

Seems like problem solved with 20.0.94 release, auto-import worked with my complete library without crash of JRiver, all audio files types was selected in auto-import.  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 10:06:10 am »

Sweet.  That's good news.

One thing to be aware of with the change logs on the Mac version of MC: They aren't completely comprehensive. Most of the code in the application is identical between the Mac and Windows versions of MC.  The only differences are the "OS layer" changes needed to make the things work that need to be different between the two platforms.  Otherwise, it is the exact same code base.

What this means is that with each update of the OSX version, you also get all of the non-Windows specific changes listed in the same build range of the Windows version (which is reported over on the Windows board of Interact).  The UI layer is different, so that stuff might not always apply, and for now the video playback engine is separate, but most of the rest is equally applicable.

So... Long story shorter, it is a good idea to check out the change log notes on the Windows version too when a new version of the Mac client comes out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up