INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video issues on new Mac Mini  (Read 3082 times)

minpete515

Video issues on new Mac Mini
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:05:29 am »

Hi there - I went for it on Saturday and treated myself to a 2014 Mac Mini (the basic one) to replace a Fujitsu laptop for using with MC. Been running MC on the PC very successfully to be fair, but always preferred the Apple experience. (No more-pop ups about Norton - hurrah!!) Until now Windows was a more accessible way into the whole home hub/media experience for me. I hardwire the Mac via HDMI to a Panasonic Viera for Video and likewise I have the server going through a DAC hooked into my amp/hi-fi for audio - the only streaming I do is to my IOS phone or tablet using the JRemote app. Anyway - I can now no longer stream videos (MPEG) to said devices and the video on the TV is unwatchable - flickering on a regular cycle as if copy protected. My FLAC audio works perfectly still both direct and streamed (I reckon it sounds even better than before but that's probably just me justifying buying the Mac!) It is currently the trial version of MC for MAC I'm using, but I'm thinking this shouldn't matter?? Any ideas??

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video issues on new Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:34:10 pm »

Video playback in the Mac version of Media Center is at a very early stage right now, so this is not unexpected.
I know that it's probably not what you want to hear, but I'd recommend installing Windows on the Mac Mini if you plan on using it for that purpose.

minpete515

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:20:37 am »

:( Oh - that is very disappointing. Certainly won't be 'dirtying' my nice new Mac with Windows so looks like I'll have to look at a different package for Video output. Such a pity as I love the JRemote app so I'll keep MC for audio - but seems such a backward step to have to use further software - goes against the "Media Center'' idea really. Mind you, I have an XBox One and that still isn't really the media hub is was supposed to be!

FYI however - I've just started looking at Acrok Video Converter (trial version at the moment) for ripping blu-rays - the MP4 file it saved down last night from a blu-ray disc looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and plays perfectly on MC so I'll try retrospectively converting my existing files using Acrok and see if that works. I'll let you know

Thanks for reply

minpete515

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:25 am »

Update - the files I have converted with Acrok play perfectly on MC - the only issue I now have is the mouse pointer icon won't disappear. I have also discovered PLEX though, which works brilliantly with my XBox One - so I think I'll stick with MC for audio and PLEX for video for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up