INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis for Albums  (Read 2824 times)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Audio Analysis for Albums
« on: September 22, 2003, 03:07:08 am »

Is there any way to perform audio level analysis by album?  Or calculate the value by album?  I have quite a few classical albums that have some tracks that are quieter than other tracks are.  

If I use replay gain, it causes the quite tracks (that are supposed to be quiet) to be played more loudly.  I'd like to have a feature that let me set the replay gain for an entire album.  

Is this already an option?  Basically, I'd like to have the entire album be adjusted by the value of the loudest track.  That would let me listen to multiple classical albums in a row, with their volumes adjusted relative to each other, but not with the individual track's volumes being messed up.

Can you actually perform calculations and/or find max values w/ calculated fields?

kiwi

kiwi

Re: Audio Analysis for Albums
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 02:50:06 am »

Does anyone have a solution for normalizing albums with respect to other albums, not normalizing the tracks with respect to other tracks?

thanks,
kiwi

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 04:34:50 am »

Unless it's in newer versions (I'm still using 9.0.180), MC does not have an option to perform album-based Replay Gain. If your files are in MP3 format, you can album gain them with MP3gain and then don't analyze them with MC.

You could also just disable the Replay Gain DSP when you playback those albums.

kiwi

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 12:21:32 am »

My files are all APEs, so no MP3Gain.  I like the fact that Replay gain doesn't affect the songs at all, but it administered at playback.

I think that the only thing that you'd have to do is figure out the peak level for the loudest song on the album and then apply that change to all the other songs.

I guess that I could manually go through each album and set the value to the smallest change for every song in the album.  I like to listen to my classical albums shuffled by album, and changing the volume level for each album can definitely be a bit of a pain.  

kiwi

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 01:12:14 am »

You can also use Wavegain to album gain the .wavs before encoding them to .ape.

http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/others.html

Rob

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 04:41:52 am »

Yeah, but unfortunately, it changes the original file.  One of the big advantages I see to lossless encoding, is having access to the raw, unedited data.

I wonder how difficult it is to create a plug-in that looked at an album's measured replay gain and set every track's gain accordingly.

kiwi

Henry_Chinaski

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 05:53:10 am »

I've got the same problem. Replay Gain is switched on by default since it's a great feature if one listens to tracks from different albums.

But if I play a complete album, I want to keep the original volume differences between the tracks because this was likely intended during recording.

For instance, my Dire Straits live album has a range from -2dB to -10 dB for the Replay Gain Value, what results in much different volume levels during playback.
The only possibility is to switch off Replay Gain in those cases.

So I think a great option would be, if MC has a function to temporarily switch off Relay Gain automatically if the playlist consists of full albums only.

kiwi

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 06:26:51 am »

I'm really thinking seriously about creating a plug-in that would modify the replay gain setting for each album, selecting the file that's normalized the least and applying it to all.

Though, I actually think that I could do this simply by selecting each album and going into the tags, select all the files, see what the values are from the pulldown dialog and then pop the lowest value on it.  (Can that, it doesn't provide a pulldown dialog, but I could still type in one value.)

I can never remember what I want... the lowest or highest value?  If I understand it, I would want to apply the smallest value to all the files.  

So if I have an album with the following values:
track 1: -0.4 dB
track 2: 4.4 dB
track 3: -14.4 dB
track 4: -7.5 dB

I would want to apply -14.4dB  since track 3 should be the loudest track.  

If I apply this to all the other tracks, they should keep the same relative volumes, while the album is normailzed w/ respect to other albums?

I hope that i'm making some sense.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up