INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: iTunes for Win to use WMA?  (Read 1558 times)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
OT: iTunes for Win to use WMA?
« on: October 08, 2003, 06:11:51 am »

Hey all

I was just reading an article on Business 2.0 discussing the new Napster, here is an excerpt:

"One final piece of the puzzle is missing, however: Apple's wildly popular iPod portable digital music player is not currently compatible with Microsoft Windows Media. MusicMatch and BuyMusic both use the Windows Media format, and it is expected that Roxio will as well (a Roxio representative wouldn't comment on the service before its launch). For these services to truly resonate with the masses, they'll need to work on the iPod. That's expected to occur when Apple launches its Windows version of iTunes, which is scheduled to happen before the end of the year. "

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.business2.com/subscribers/articles/web/0,1653,52671|2,00.html

Does this mean that Apple will release an update to the iPod that will allow the iPod to play WMA?  This is the first I'm hearing of this....has anyone else heard this?

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Re: OT: iTunes for Win to use WMA?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 06:19:53 am »

For these services to truly resonate with the masses, they'll need to work on the iPod. That's expected to occur when Apple launches its Windows version of iTunes

I think that this is wrong.  Apple DOESN"T want to have the other people's services "resonate with the masses".  They are selling their own service, and want people to have to use that service.  I don't really see them updating the iPod for WMP files, particularly if the reason is that they need to support MusicMatch/MusicBuy/Roxio.

Apple isn't bringing out iTunes to make the iPod compatible with those services, it's bringing it out so that they can sell their own iTMS service.

at least, that's my $0.02 NZD (so it's really $0.01 USD)

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up