INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD file Playback sound weird  (Read 4519 times)

s54yellow

• Recent member
DSD file Playback sound weird
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:24 am »

Dear members,

I am new to JRiver. I am running JRiver on my iMac with i5 core CPU on Yosemite OS, my DAC is Korg DAC-100, both claims support DSD playback.

The software running well on non-DSD file, but when I play DSD file, the sound with some noise. I have update the software to 20.0.067, problem still exist. Can let me know what's wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Andy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD file Playback sound weird
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:07:38 am »

Try a few different DSD files in case you just have a bad one.

Configuring resampling in DSP Studio > Output Format is the only thing to do, but if you hear anything, that means it's working fine.

You should try forcing a sample rate of 44,100 just as a test.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

s54yellow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:17 am »

Thanks for your reply. The problem not yet fixed. The following are the action I did and the symptoms may help you to diagnosis the problem.

(1) I tried to play another 4-5 albums, encounter same problem.
(2) 2 scenarios when I play those DSF files, (a) the music played with a lot of background noise, (b) no sound at all
(3) The sound is normal when I resample them to 44.1 HZ
(4) On Audio Path window, it show that (a) the input is 352.8kHz 64 bit 2ch from source format DSF, (b) the output is 44.1kHz 32 bit 2ch using Core Audio (not using enough bits to output the input directly)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:34 am »

Try resampling to higher bitrates to see what else will work.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:32 am »

The first thing I'd check would be the buffer size. This can happen if it's set too small.
Do you have exclusive access enabled?
Is the audio device set to 100% volume? (not the DAC itself, check the audio and midi setup app - do a spotlight search for "midi" and run the app)

s54yellow

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:11 am »

(1) No sound come out if set to no change for sampling.
(2) The pre buffering set from 6 second to 10 second, nothing improve.

I just wondering if you could remote my desktop to check if anything wrong by team viewer?

s54yellow

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:54 am »

And I wondering another issue on bitperfect. I found that the player output as 32 bits no matter the source file is 16 bits or 24 bits, is that correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:46 am »

It's doing what the driver needs.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

On Audio Path window, it show that (a) the input is 352.8kHz 64 bit 2ch from source format DSF, (b) the output is 44.1kHz 32 bit 2ch using Core Audio (not using enough bits to output the input directly)
It seems you have MC configured to convert DSD material to PCM. Since your Korg DAC supports DSD input I think you would get better results by configuring MC to output DSD material as DoP to the DAC. I have never used a DSD capable DAC myself, but this ought to do it: [Tools]–>[Options …]–>[Audio]–>[Bitstreaming]–>[DSD]. Then in Audio/MIDI in OS X: set the sample rate to 176400.0 Hz and bit depth to 2 channels 24 bits integer.

Also, it seems Korg recommends converting PCM material to DSD before sending it to their DAC. To accomplish this, do this in DSP Studio in MC: [Output Format]–>[Output Encoding]–>[DSD in DoP format]/[2xDSD in DoP format]. The 2xDSD option should give you the best results if your computer has enough processing power for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up