INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Copy Protection  (Read 2594 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
CD Copy Protection
« on: October 07, 2003, 11:31:49 am »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Princeton graduate student said on Monday that he has figured out a way to defeat new software intended to keep music CDs from being copied on a computer -- simply by pressing the Shift-key.

In a paper posted on his Web site late Monday, John Halderman said the MediaMax CD3 software developed by SunnComm Technologies Inc. could be defeated on computers running the Windows operating system by holding down the Shift key, disabling a Windows feature that automatically launches the encryption software on the disc.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=10&u=/nm/20031007/bs_nm/media_bmg_protection_dc

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
Re: CD Copy Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 11:58:49 am »

Notice how they added that a "Princeton graduate student" discovered it.  I guess it sounded better than saying his 3-year old discovered it...lol

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 12:06:47 pm »

Script writers for comedy shows have to sweat a lot to find such good jokes.   ;D
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 01:53:25 pm »

Well, that doesn't work for EMI's copy control.    :-/
-

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 07:07:15 pm »

I purchased a CD and was met with some copy protection scheme when I tried to rip it into my PC.  Since I no longer own a home stereo, but use my media PC and MC9 exclusively, I felt this to be more than an inconvenience. All this did was make me more determined. Well, I did eventually manage to get this into my PC.  
Hmmmm, I don't think I left that in my shared folder . . . . did  I?    :o

DancingSamurai

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 11:05:31 pm »

I've run into a few of these copy protected CDs too... not sure which scheme it was but MC wouldn't see it as an audio CD (just saw data files). Had to think for all of 10 seconds, load up Nero, and sure enough, it showed all the tracks without difficulty. Rip to .WAV, end of story... although I was annoyed at having to manually enter the tag info.

When will they learn it just inconveniences the customer? If I bought a CD, I expect to be able to listen to it on my computer or burn it to an mp3 CD for listening on my portable... *shakes head*
--DancingSamurai
... Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them.

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 12:53:13 am »

Take the CD back to the store and complain about it. Get a refund. If enuff people do, the record companies may eventually get the message (hopefully). Send them a letter, tell your congressman or senator (or whatever's appropriate in your country). If we don't make our voices heard both monetarilly and vocally, nothing's going to change; you're preaching to the choir here. We really need to put a stop to the bullying of the record companies and the RIAA. Fight back!

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 01:44:20 am »

Is there a list somewhere of all these copy protected CDs?   I'd like to know before I get a CD that it's protected or not... and what it's protected with, i.e. whether I can hold shift down to stop the protection, etc.

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 04:24:39 am »

If it is Copy Protected it will have the Copy Protected information on the back of the disc.

It will also not have the Compact Disc Digital Audio icon on it. Philips seems to be totally against the copy protection.

Has anyone been able to bypass EMI's yet?
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up