INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change to where library points: Same files but on different drive [SOLVED]  (Read 1420 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Question: How can I point a MC library to the same files on a different drive - files on my NAS instead of the PC - without touching the files?

Background:
I am in the process of upgrading my set up from PC based to NAS based, starting with moving the files but keeping library file and MC 20 on PC. I plan to later add an ID and make that my server.
In this process, I have copied all my media files from PC to NAS already, using Synology's 'cloud sync' function (= same folder and file structure). But the MC library still points to the local files on PC.
Complicating things is that I also back up my PC to the 'real' cloud, and that backing-up takes months. So by all means I don't want to touch all my media files on my PC in this process. Therefore I can't use the 'rename files / copy / move files' option.

Any leads for me?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen

Therefore I can't use the 'rename files / copy / move files' option.

In 'Rename, Move & Copy Files' there is an option in the top drop down 'Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)'. I have not used this option myself (mainly because I didn't know it was there until now) but it would appear to be what you are after.

However, as long as you have copied all the sidecar files to the new location as well as the media and all the other files are tagged correctly, I would probably just delete all the media from the library, making sure 'Remove from Media Library' is selected (this is the default). Then reconfigure your auto-import folders to point to the new locations and then just perform a full import.

Obviously test either option on a few library entries first to make sure nothing untoward is happening.

Good luck

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Re: Change to where library points: Same files but on different drive [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:07:54 pm »

Thanks RussellS - that's exactly what I was looking for. Works like a charm.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:18 pm »

Your welcome.

How did you go about it in the end, 'Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)' or re-import the library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:44:18 pm »

That's exactly what the Update Database choice is for, and it does work correctly, so I'd hope that one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »

The option 'Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)' is what i used,  and it works like designed. Not always the case in Software, but JRiver can be trusted ;)
Thanks again - one worry less (would have hated to re-import the files, as I assume that much of meta data would be lost)
Pages: [1]   Go Up