INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When should tag changes be commited??  (Read 1938 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
When should tag changes be commited??
« on: October 07, 2003, 02:12:25 pm »

Taken from 169 bug thread:

database save is not performed until you leave the files and click elsewhere . . . .  
SO, when you change alot of tags at once, then go back to right click for another operation the database save begins . . .  
BUT - It Is Leaving the right-click menu ON TOP even if another application is brought up in front of MC, the right-click menu remains on top.  (LisaRCT)  

Have to agree.  I posted about this in the previous bug thread.  It just seems clunky now.  When editing in the panes it makes more sense to save changes after each change, in the AW it makes more sense to change on file change.  Could it be changed so that tagging in the panes works how it used to but taging in the AW stays the same?

Adam

Comments on this please.  I was ne of the people who suggested it should be changed originally, now I'm not so sure...

;D
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Omni

Re: When should tag changes be commited??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 02:31:11 pm »

Though it is not something that will make the 9.1 release, I think it should stay as it is, but there should be a way to manually save (read:  apply) the tag updates without changing the focus.  (This isn't my original idea.)

Some user here--I forget who--brought up the point, to loosely paraphrase, that we are trained from birth to "save your work, save your work, save your work,"  particularly when dealing with Windows.  ;)   In fact, pretty much all text editors sport functionalty to do auto-backups every ten minutes (or whatever you set it to).

It just doesn't feel, I don't know, normal not to be able to save one's work manually.

For the record, though, my library it pretty small (relatively), so I wouldn't bark too loudly if they changed it back to the way it was I guess. <shrug>

Omni

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 04:00:42 pm »

I agree with the save button. Let me finish my tagging and then I will hit save. Instead you save after adding the date save after fixing the name.. and so on.

Oh well,
-

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 05:32:01 pm »

Yuppers
ya make one change, click on the next and then you:
sit and wait while the db saves,
lose your selections or focus and have to reselect,
make the second change,
etc.

Especially for tag changes, where I usually wish to make multiple changes to a select group of files.
This is prime for a save function or hotkey combo.

Unless, of course, you can find a way to have MC save LARGE databases instantly and completely seamlessly   ::)

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 08:19:05 pm »

From a DB design standpoint...

Saving an entire record (or records) everytime a field is updated is not efficient, plus it can hinder doing a rollback (I know...MC does remarkably well at it anyhow). I have MJ8 here at home and MC9.1 at work, and I prefer MJ's editing system (especially the logic/layout of the Media File Properties dialog box). Could a modernized version of it be resurrected for V10? To be really useful, File Properties would have to be decoupled from the AW (which I would LOVE to see...and...restoration of Alt-Enter for it's exclusive use).

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up