INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to move entire MC20 media files to new SSD Help  (Read 1501 times)

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
Want to move entire MC20 media files to new SSD Help
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:28:44 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a small 160 GB SSD specifically to store my audio files for JRiver and I was wondering if JRiver has a method to consolidate all of the media files themselves, tags, cover art, etc. into a single folder (perhaps with multiple directories inside the main folder, one for art, media, playlists etc) on the SSD where I can set JRiver to access the files. For example, right now my library has media files and artwork etc. from different directories - spread out in different directories on a regular HDD. What I would like to do, is to have all of JRiver's media files, cover art, playlists, tags etc. all on the SSD and set JRiver to access all of the necessary info and files from that directory.

Is there a method within JRiver that can do this? Or does JRiver only backup library data and one would have to physically locate and move each file to the new SSD, then have to create new libraries, new playlists etc. because the directory(s) for the already created library's, playlist(s), etc. would be accessing the files from where they used to be.

Basically I would just like JRiver to have it's own folder on an SSD with all of the media files, cover art, tags etc. within that folder so it is nice an organized in one directory (or multiple folders within a main JRiver folder) instead of the media files being scattered from different directories.

If there is a way JRiver can do this can someone explain the process or direct me to a thread explaining how to do this? And if JRiver cannot do this and one has to move the media files manually, and create all new libraries, playlists, etc. it would be a nice feature to include in MC20 to be able to consolidate all of the media files, artwork, tags, playlists etc. into one neat, organized JRiver folder (with possible folders for each set of data [For example a media file folder within the JRiver main folder, cover art within the main folder, playlists within the main folder etc]).

Thanks

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: Want to move entire MC20 media files to new SSD Help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:02 am »

Explore the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" Tool. You can set different rules for each media to rename/and/or copy or move your files in your respective target
directories.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:43:36 am »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:02 am »

There are two separate sets of files to deal with - you library (contains your settings, playlists, tags, etc.) and your media files (wav, flac, etc.). You could create a main directory (e.g. JRiver) then have sub-directory for the library and a separate sub-directory for the media files. You can clone your existing library and place that on you SSD drive under the JRiver directory. Then, you can move your media files to the SSD.  (Obviously you can clone then move or move then clone. The result is the same.)

To clone you library, click on you main library from Playing Now in the tree. Click on Tools and then Clone Library. It will let you name the new library and enter a path for the new library.

You can then use the Rename, Copy, Move tool to move you existing files to the new drive using the Rename command or you can Copy them using the tool.  Make sure you are using you new library before doing this.  Alternatively,you can just copy the directory and files over to the new drive (using Windows Explorer or the tool) and use the Rename, Copy, Move tool to change the path. That would leave the original copy of the files in place as a backup. Note that the Rename, Copy, Move tool has several options to select from on the top line. That often gets missed.

Of course, back up you current library before doing anything. And move one or two albums as a test before doing everything. With a little testing, this should be an easy task.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:26:57 am »

The Rename, Move, and Copy tool will allow you to consolidate all of your media files to the SSD.

There are two separate sets of files to deal with - you library (contains your settings, playlists, tags, etc.) and your media files (wav, flac, etc.). You could create a main directory (e.g. JRiver) then have sub-directory for the library and a separate sub-directory for the media files. You can clone your existing library and place that on you SSD drive under the JRiver directory.

I would NOT move the Library in this circumstance, unless:

* You know the SSD will always be connected via a fast interconnect.
* You need to access the drive on different computers which all have MC installed and you want to access the same Library.

There's additional information you should probably look at here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Network_and_Slow_Storage

What I'd be wary of is moving the Library to an external disk, even an SSD, if that disk will sometimes be connected via USB2 or some other slow interconnect.  Performance will not be good if access to the Library is slowed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:04:23 pm »

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all who have posted a reply. I really appreciate your time and help. I read the Wiki prior to posting, it doesn't seem like there is an easy way to consolidate files into a JRiver folder without manually moving all of the media files to the SSD. Doing a simple library backup will not work since it only contains library data, and if the media files were moved from the location stored in the library backup, then JRiver would be unable to locate the files since they would have been moved. The difficult thing in my situation is a lot of my media files are in different directories on different disks, which would take a long time to go through and find each file and manually move it, and then to manually attempt to re-create all of my playlists once all of the files are moved. I guess I was hoping JRiver had a function kind of like iTUNES that can automatically consolidate all of the media files into a single folder (with possible sub-directories such as playlists etc.) where the user could then specify the directory for JRiver to look for media files. Even if JRiver consolidated the files automatically on the OS drive, or drive that JRiver is installed, it would be a simple thing to simply move the JRiver folder to a different disk and then modify the directory where JRiver looks for media files. For example, if there was a function for JRiver to consolidate all files to it's own folder, say on drive C:, then one could simply move the JRiver folder to a different drive, say D:, and then in JRiver itself specify where the new location of the JRiver is located say D:\JRiver

Since JRiver already knows what directory each file is in, maybe there is a way to add a "Consolidate Files" operation to JRiver, then perhaps a prompt within JRiver to specify what directory the user would like to consolidate the files. I am not a programmer so I do not know if that would be a difficult code to write, however it would be a nice feature in my opinion if it wasn't difficult to program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up