INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer playlists from MC20 Mac to Windows  (Read 1551 times)

beasound

Transfer playlists from MC20 Mac to Windows
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »

Apologies if this has been asked for, I tried several search queries but nothing exactly relevant.

I have an unusual setup because I use JRiver MC for music playback at live events.  I'm an audio engineer, I have 4-5 different laptops that I use for different purposes depending on my client and what I need to do for the particular project.  I have a NAS at home where my music library actually lives, but it syncs from there to several external drives, and parts of it live locally on several of the laptops depending on how much of it they can fit internally.

Getting to the point, traditionally I've done all my music playback with a Mac while I use my PC laptops for other things.  When moving playlists between Macs I can export a playlist as an MPL, then Find/Replace the beginnings of the paths because all of the files and folder structure are the same under the parent mp3/ and AppleLossless/ folders.

Now I have a client who specifically wants me to work with no Macs, so I am trying to move my playlists between Mac and PC versions of MC.  Can anyone recommend a tool to manage converting the slashes to backslashes in filepaths for this application?  Or is there one built-in to MC?  A blanket Find/Replace for "/" to "\" will break a lot of the tags like Field. 

I could fix Field tags with a second Find/Replace afterwards, but what if there are slashes in the metadata inside the fields?  Will an imported MPL play the correct file if the artist or genre metadata in the MPL is incorrect, but the filename is correct?

beasound

Re: Transfer playlists from MC20 Mac to Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:17 am »

How can I possibly be the first person to try and move a playlist between Mac and PC? 

This thread is why forums aren't support.  When I spend $100 on software, I expect to get a response to such a basic issue.  I own thousands of dollars of audio software licenses, none of their developers have ever ignored me a month later when I had an issue.  Or acted smug about providing support beyond a wiki and a user forum.

Thanks for nothing!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:48:27 am »

OK.  The forum is worthless and we're inconsiderate.

There is no automatic way to do what you want.  You might be able to export playlists to a different format, then import them again.  But it will take some experimenting.

An Internet search is worth trying.

Try notepad. 

If you don't get an answer, try "bumping" your post.  If you still don't get an answer, it often means that nobody knows.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:26 am »

one possibility is to use the star rating...of course if u already use it this probally ain't for you...what i did was 5 star all the tracks in the playlist ran my backup then on the other machine used the smartlist to view all 4 or 5 star ratings then rebuilt the playlist on that machine....now there may be a easier way but this worked for me

good luck....

a little sugar is better than a gallon of vinegar
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up