INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone running vinyl into JRiver?  (Read 7868 times)

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
Anyone running vinyl into JRiver?
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:03:14 pm »

Hey Guys

I'm thinking about incorporating a vinyl setup into my JRiver-based system and was curious if anyone else is doing it currently.  I've got a Steinberg UR824 which has a line input on it and currently use convolution filters for output into my amps->speakers. 

Would love to check out the power of DSP on vinyl.

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Anyone running vinyl into JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:54:40 am »

I run vinyl through JRiver, but I have a USB turntable which is cheating.  As long as you have a phono pre-amp you should be able to feed it through the Steinberg's line ins.

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »

I run vinyl through JRiver, but I have a USB turntable which is cheating.  As long as you have a phono pre-amp you should be able to feed it through the Steinberg's line ins.

Thanks mwillems!!  Was hoping it would be that "easy". 

-Jim

pelsjeger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 11:14:02 am »

I was wondering how to do this exactly? How do you set up line in?
I have a RIAA with support for usb, but I cannot figure out how to tell JRiver to use this as an input?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:09:11 pm »

Set the JRiver WDM driver as your default output, then set the USB input as your default input.  Then open the input options dialog in windows and select the "listen on" option and it should start playing to the WDM driver automatically.

pelsjeger

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:15 pm »

Thanks. I was hoping that the USB-riaa and the loop-back from Tidal did not have to share the WDM-driver. But now I know that is an option, I know how to make it work.

What about the old wasapi/ASIO loop-back option that came before the WDM-driver? I never had use for it then, so I never learned how make it work. Since the RIAA is a isolated input device, I thought maybe there was some way of doing it the following way:

Zone HDD playback: Main library ->DSP studio -> output to PS Audio DAC
Zone Streaming:      Tidal -> WDM-river -> DSP studio -> output to PS Audio DAC
Zone Vinyl:             USB RIAA -> DSP studio -> output to PS Audio DAC

Any ideas how to make this work?

pelsjeger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 05:24:30 am »

Just wanted to let you know that this worked nicely.

Set the JRiver WDM driver as your default output, then set the USB input as your default input.  Then open the input options dialog in windows and select the "listen on" option and it should start playing to the WDM driver automatically.

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:16:25 pm »

Further to this, what about bypassing a traditional analog stage and running the turntable's outputs into the mic inputs?  Enough gain?  Then use a vst to perform RIAA correction?  Something like this:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/curveeq/

-Jim

mike.spcr

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

I got this to work, but it means messing with the JRiver settings every time I want to play vinyl instead of the digital files, then having to change them back again for digital. Is there no other way to do this? I'm using a Teac UD-501 DAC & Tascam UH-7000 ADC.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 04:00:05 pm »

Why do you have to change JRiver's settings?  Do you have JRiver set to output to the default audio device or something? 

Just set JRiver's audio output to your Teac and never change it.  Leave the WDM driver as your default output. 

mike.spcr

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »

Why do you have to change JRiver's settings?  Do you have JRiver set to output to the default audio device or something? 

Just set JRiver's audio output to your Teac and never change it.  Leave the WDM driver as your default output. 
JRiver's audio output is set to the Teac DAC, but the level difference between the ADC output into JRiver and the digital audio files output is quite large. The vinyl level ends up being something like 6~8 dB lower, with the Tascam input level set to ensure it never overloads. This is with its output level set as high as it can go. I guess I could experiment with setting the Tascam inputs higher.
Pages: [1]   Go Up