INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to watch tv with multiple zones  (Read 4132 times)

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
how to watch tv with multiple zones
« on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »

I have a central computer which runs all a/v.  If i want to utilize TV in more than one zone with jrm, how does one watch tv independently in 2 zones without causing the other zone to go blank since it requires theater view?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: how to watch tv with multiple zones
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:38 pm »

When you say "since it requires theater view", what do you mean?  Can you use Standard view?  TV is available on Standard View.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

On your original question, running different version of MC requires COM registration each time a different version is run.  There is no way to avoid it.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:38:33 pm »

When you say "since it requires theater view", what do you mean?  Can you use Standard view?  TV is available on Standard View.
NOT if you want the guide or browse recorded shows.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »

On your original question, running different version of MC requires COM registration each time a different version is run.  There is no way to avoid it.

think you're not getting my issue.  i realize each "version" requires a different executable command, i.e. v19 requires mc19.exe /mcc whatever.  "com registration" = ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

There are a few components of the program that are required to be registered with Windows in order for them to function properly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:57:24 pm »

NOT if you want the guide or browse recorded shows.

The guide and recorded shows are in Standard view too.  They are just presented in different interfaces.  If you are trying to say you need to use a remote control to navigate, then I am with you, Theater view is the best.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »

There are a few components of the program that are required to be registered with Windows in order for them to function properly.

okay... so as it stands now i've found a work around which is selecting the allow multiple instances of program to run within v20 so that when it starts it will not kill v19.  Go regardless this problem has taken a back seat but am still curious to know more about this "registration" thing and what that essentially means from a high level for someone like myself who doesn't understand the finer interworkings of programing.  Are you saying v20 should behave this way and killl v19?   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

Try an Internet search for how com controls are registered.  A com control is a piece of software.  Search for regsvr32.exe.

Here, for example:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859484.aspx

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:12:41 pm »

Try an Internet search for how com controls are registered.  A com control is a piece of software.  Search for regsvr32.exe.

Here, for example:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859484.aspx

Hey guys, all i want to know is, is it perfectly fine to run both versions given the fact they are in separate program folders and at the same time?   

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 05:22:06 pm »

I don't understand the problem. Can you be more clear?

Do you have one display and want two shows on it at once? That can easily be done with detached displays. I think 4 is the most shows I've had going at once.

Do you have multiple displays and want TV on each display? This is done with a separate Zone for each display. You also have to turn all displays on at least once and set Tools > Options > Tree & View > Fullscreen > Monitor to the correct display. It took me almost forever to figure this out!

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 05:53:31 pm »

Do you have one display and want two shows on it at once? That can easily be done with detached displays. I think 4 is the most shows I've had going at once.

Do you have multiple displays and want TV on each display? This is done with a separate Zone for each display. You also have to turn all displays on at least once and set Tools > Options > Tree & View > Fullscreen > Monitor to the correct display. It took me almost forever to figure this out!

I'm trying to maintain my sanity here, i've explained both issues very clearly multiple times in multiple threads.  You've touched on 1 of 2 issues.  The one you did not touch on that i'm waiting on one of the developers of jrm to answer is the multiple versions at the same time question i just posted.  Starting to feel like no one wants to say yes or no it's fine to run multiple versions at the same time.  As for the TV issue i believe one of the previous responders answered my question which is i am correct, having multiple "zones" in "1" version of jrm and using "theater view" (which is the only view that is remote friendly) doesn't work well.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:54 pm »

The answer to your question on multiple version of MC is "no".  When you run MC20, it registers the COM components to its own version.  That makes MC19 not able to find its own component.  If we ever do away with the COM registration thing, then it may change, but it will be in the future.  So it is not possible to run MC19 and MC20 concurrently now.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:06:07 pm »

Are you able to run TV in different zones concurrently from Theater View?
The OP wants to run TV in different zones concurrently.  The problem encountered was that Theater view does not seem to run in two zones (I have not tried it myself).  If you know a way of running TV in multiple zones concurrently, then you can help here.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:13 pm »

The answer to your question on multiple version of MC is "no".  When you run MC20, it registers the COM components to its own version.  That makes MC19 not able to find its own component.  If we ever do away with the COM registration thing, then it may change, but it will be in the future.  So it is not possible to run MC19 and MC20 concurrently now.

Is there a particular part of jrm that will not "run" or are you saying the whole program itself should not "run"?  Reason i ask is now that i've got the option in 20 set to allow mutliple "versions" to run i'm having NO PROBLEMS running both "versions" at the same time and operating both at the same time via command lines mc19.exe /mcc #### and mc20.exe /mcc ####.

I realize you're probably asking yourself, so why is this guy asking the question if he's having no problems.  The answer to that question is 2 parts.  1 - I experienced major issues with the TV portion when trying to run both versions and i've removed tv from the equation for now until if and when a solution to my issues above are resolved.  2- Is there something about doing this that is going to come back to bite me i haven't experienced yet.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 06:15:27 pm »

TV will not run correctly.  There maybe other parts, but TV definitely.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:05 pm »

TV will not run correctly.  There maybe other parts, but TV definitely.

THANK YOU! That's what i figured was going on and explains a lot.  Just wish i would have known this a few days ago before i almost started banging my head up against the wall.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:32 pm »

Well, come to think about it, it probably will work if you can put up with the Windows prompts.  Each time any version of MC needs the TV components, it will request a Windows registration.  That will all the version to run.  When the next instance of a different version needs the components again, the same prompts will pop up.  So it is really the COM registration prompts that is the issue.  If you can live with them...

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »

Well, come to think about it, it probably will work if you can put up with the Windows prompts.  Each time any version of MC needs the TV components, it will request a Windows registration.  That will all the version to run.  When the next instance of a different version needs the components again, the same prompts will pop up.  So it is really the COM registration prompts that is the issue.  If you can live with them...

I wasn't getting prompts like that.  i was getting a message saying..... well just read the link at the top of this thread.

thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »

I don't know what you mean by Theater View in zones.  You can't project Theater View to a DLNA Renderer.

The normal way to share TV would be to use Library Server (part of Media Server) to share a library from one server to many clients.

The wiki has topics on these.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »

I wasn't getting prompts like that.  i was getting a message saying..... well just read the link at the top of this thread.

thanks.

You got message that says you need to run MC as power user, and MJTSFileWriter.ax failure message.  That is because COM registration requires higher user privilege.

The message "After this activation, Media Center can be run with only guest privileges" is true only if you do not try changing to a different version.  Once a COM registration is done, it stays registered, until another version tries to change it.  So, if you want to run two versions, and can live with a few prompts each time you switch, you need to run at higher privileges.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 07:33:21 pm »

You got message that says you need to run MC as power user, and MJTSFileWriter.ax failure message.  That is because COM registration requires higher user privilege.

The message "After this activation, Media Center can be run with only guest privileges" is true only if you do not try changing to a different version.  Once a COM registration is done, it stays registered, until another version tries to change it.  So, if you want to run two versions, and can live with a few prompts each time you switch, you need to run at higher privileges.

i attempted to set the guest account to "power user" but didn't work, only as admin does this work.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »

I don't know what you mean by Theater View in zones.  You can't project Theater View to a DLNA Renderer.

The normal way to share TV would be to use Library Server (part of Media Server) to share a library from one server to many clients.

The wiki has topics on these.

maybe we are not understanding one another...  I have ONE computer which runs my a/v, i'm not interested in adding more computers to my setup.  I have several TV's, none of which are capable of acting as a client, i.e. get streams from my network/server.  In order to use the tv program guide or recorded shows, you have to use theater view if you want a favorable way to control "remotely", i.e. not using a mouse/keyboard.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 07:50:18 pm »

I think what's confusing everyone here is that we don't understand what you mean when you say you have "one computer doing all of your a/v."  How is the video getting to all of these TVs?  You say they're not clients; are they smart TVs that you're streaming to? 

Or are they all directly plugged into the one computer via HDMI or something (i.e. you effectively have a multi-monitor setup with several TVs in different rooms)?  If that's your situation that's a pretty unusual setup, and that may be why some of the advice may not be hitting home.  It would help if you could clarify.

If you are effectively doing a multi-room multi-head computer, running multiple instances of the same version of MC (i.e. running MC20 two or three times at once) is probably close to a good solution, but you may run into trouble with that. If it were me, I'd set up several virtual machines and run a separate MC in each one, which is probably the "right" way to do what you're doing.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:06 pm »

I think what's confusing everyone here is that we don't understand what you mean when you say you have "one computer doing all of your a/v."  How is the video getting to all of these TVs?  You say they're not clients; are they smart TVs that you're streaming to? 

Or are they all directly plugged into the one computer via HDMI or something (i.e. you effectively have a multi-monitor setup with several TVs in different rooms)?  If that's your situation that's a pretty unusual setup, and that may be why some of the advice may not be hitting home.  It would help if you could clarify.

If you are effectively doing a multi-room multi-head computer, running multiple instances of the same version of MC (i.e. running MC20 two or three times at once) is probably close to a good solution, but you may run into trouble with that. If it were me, I'd set up several virtual machines and run a separate MC in each one, which is probably the "right" way to do what you're doing.

Fair assessment, my apologize, i see now that that's probably where the disconnect lies.  Yes, i have about a million miles of cable (HDMI, net, etc.) in my home going to various locations in and out of my home.  I have one server ("server" used loosely, well just say it's a pc with a whole bunch of stuff going on) which "serves" several tv's/monitors and a/v receivers in my home.... each independent.  Audio is independent as well either via hdmi or coax or optical... you get the idea.  JRM is a big part of the overall setup since it's responsible for music in my home, iso movies, and was hoping for TV but I digress.  To further explain, i'm using a program called "Touch Control" (just google it and you'll see what i'm talking about) which runs a server on the computer and my apple products work as the client which communicates with TC.  TC allows me to create buttons which call commands like "mc19.exe \mcc whatever".  So a virtual machine for each versions of jrm will not work in my situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up