INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote: Display grouping in front of track name  (Read 2304 times)

SavantGarde

• Recent member
JRemote: Display grouping in front of track name
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:21:10 pm »

For compositions comprising several movements, it would be very useful if the contents of the Grouping tag (i.e. the name of the composition) were displayed in front of the track name in JRemote's list views. Example: "Concerto in E minor: Allegro" instead of just "Allegro".

As it is now, it's hard to see where one composition ends and the next begins. I have to go through the metadata of all the tracks and look up the Grouping tag (awkwardly positioned below Composer, far away from the Name tag) for each one, to find out.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote: Display grouping in front of track name
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:43:22 am »

It`s not possible to change the tags displayed at the moment.
You could mark each movement as a separate CD#to get a section header before each movement. I know it`s not the best solution though.

For later, we could probably organise grouping fields the same way as cd#, would make sense.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »

I'm guessing that I'm running into a similar question/problem in this thread on the main MC20 board...?

brad

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:19:23 am »

It`s not possible to change the tags displayed at the moment.
You could mark each movement as a separate CD#to get a section header before each movement. I know it`s not the best solution though.

For later, we could probably organise grouping fields the same way as cd#, would make sense.

Being able to display grouping headings on JRemote to group the list of tracks is pretty essential to me and it would be massively impractical to use CD# instead. Any chance this might happen sooner rather than 'later'?!

This, together with being able to display pdf album booklets in the Mac or Linux versions is a deal breaker for me in deciding to commit to JRiver.

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »

Any plans on implementing what I suggested, yet? I like how Audirvana Plus displays grouping, i.e. in a bar above the album tracks with another bar showing where the group ends, as well as preceding the track name in the field that shows the playing track. I would like something like that to be implemented in JRemote. Some of us do listen to other genres than pop and rock, you know … and even some rock and metal has pieces divided into movements. If someone like Damien Plisson can do it, so can you  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »

Probably not.

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:02 pm »

Probably not.

That's a great shame. And rather unhelpful that you don't explain why. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to make JRemote adaptable to displaying groupings like this, given how flexible it is in other ways. It is also very poor at displaying the composer's name in a prominent place - or at all on screen without going to look at metadata. Whereas Audirvana automatically displays the Composer's name in brackets after the Grouping header, which again works very well for Classical. It will be interesting to see if the forthcoming Roon library software is as sympathetic to classical as it promises, and in which case, JRiver/JRemote is going to get left behind.

If there isn't going to be a way of doing this it will mean me switching to Audirvana permanently if the forthcoming remote turns out to be comparable to JRemote in other ways, or to look at Roon.

As I said, it's a shame, because JRemote is so impressive in many other ways.

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 03:09:25 am »

I was just hoping for suggestions about how users should display this sort of essential information if not in the grouping field. A number of download sites uses the grouping field in this way, so it's not merely a whim of Audirvana. And it does provide a way in which Classical works can be tagged and be presented in a helpful and clear way - the form familiar from record sleeves and CD booklets.
I've spent a long time editing the grouping field to hold this 'work title' information. I'd be happy to move it into another field if there was another one in JRemote that could be made to display it effectively.

Earlier in this thread it was suggested using the disk # field, and I've tried this, but of course it's not a text field and you can't change the field type.

My other point was about the composers name. If I play a Beethoven Symphony the composers name doesn't appear on the Main JRemote playing screens, unless it's in the individual track title. Whereas it will be in the Composer field. I've also added it to the front of the album title tag, but the album title doesn't appear on the main screens either, if the orchestra and conductor (album artist) happens to be more than four or five words long.

Leaving aside the specific question about groupings, is it possible that JRemote might at some point allow users more choice about how any of these tags appear on screen?

SavantGarde

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:08:15 pm »

Probably not.
Interesting … since the developer of JRemote earlier in this thread said "For later, we could probably organise grouping fields the same way as cd#, would make sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up