INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails missing after "Library, Move, Rename Copy" from PC to Mac  (Read 2181 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.

I've moved my Windows library over to my Mac. As a result I have to change the file path names to conform to the Mac naming convention. I use the VERY convenient "Library, Move, Rename Copy" tool to do this. For example:

the file in the PC library was referenced as \\nas2\media\music\Dan Fogelberg\Home Free\Dan Fogelberg - More Than Ever.ape
and now becomes:
/Volumes/media/Music/Dan Fogelberg/Home Free/Dan Fogelberg - More Than Ever.ape
in the Mac library (version MC20.80.)

However, the thumbnails of the albums and tracks don't appear unless I perform a second step to "Rebuild Thumbnails." I've tried both the "Update Database to Point to New Location..." as well as "Rename (Moves files if directory changes)" options in the Library Move/Rename tool. But the thumbnails still don't show up unless I manually rebuild them.

Is there any way, short of begging for a checkbox option in the "Move, Rename, Copy" to automatically perform the thumbnail rebuild without me having to perform this second step? I have over 13,000 tracks to migrate to the Mac. :/ I can only select a handful of albums/tracks at a time to rename and then rebuild thumbnails. If I select too many, MC locks up (and sometimes crashes.) Ten to fifteen albums at a time is about all my MacMini can seem to tolerate. It's going to take me forever to migrate the library at this rate.  ::)

FYI -
a) I did change the location of the cover art in MC options to conform to the Mac naming convention before I started the migration.
b) And I have checked "also store image in the file's tag" in the File Locations options. (Which is the way it was configured before I migrated the library.)

Any insight or fix would be most appreciated.

P.S. Sometime back Jim H. hinted there would be some type of auto converting, or auto interpreting of the filename disparaty between Mac an PC libraries. But I haven't seen anything come of it. Here's the post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93350.0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Thumbnails missing after "Library, Move, Rename Copy" from PC to Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »

Did you try the "Quick find in cover art directory"?  Right click on a file that doesn't have a thumbnail.  It may not just be rebuilding thumbnails, but having to find cover art on the Internet.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:31:25 pm »

Did you try the "Quick find in cover art directory"?  Right click on a file that doesn't have a thumbnail.  It may not just be rebuilding thumbnails, but having to find cover art on the Internet.

Yup, I neglected to post that I tried that as well - no luck. :(  It also might be worth mentioning that on many covers nothing works and I have to go back to "Get art from Internet."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:55:23 pm »

Thumbnails will get built as you view the library.  Or you can just run the rebuild overnight.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:47 pm »

Thumbnails will get built as you view the library.  Or you can just run the rebuild overnight.

Did you try to replicate the problem? I'm more than willing to allow you to connect to my machine and see it for yourself. I would sincerely welcome being proven mistaken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up