INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: one-click update/import  (Read 1398 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Feature request: one-click update/import
« on: October 07, 2003, 06:49:29 am »

One feature I remember from MusicMatch which I miss in Media Center is the "Watch Folders" option - basically you would tell MM to monitor a defined list of folders for changes, and it would automatically update/import files as appropriate.

The way this feature would work is as follows - you'd have an option to define what folders you use to store your music, that you want MC to keep track of.

Then, with the press of a button, MC would:

1) Carry out an "update" operation on all files in those folders (they have those folders in their filename path, in the database) using settings from the last update
2) Carry out an import operation, once again using the default settings from the last operation

For bonus points, use the Media Scheduler to trigger this operation (maybe it can do this already?)

For even more bonus points, add a feature to "update library" that looks for files that have been moved - use the defined folder list to narrow the scope ie. look only for files that were in the "watched" folders, and if they're not where they're supposed to be, search for them only within the watched folders.

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Feature request: one-click update/import
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 07:21:12 am »

Watchfolders watchfolders!

MMJB and WMP9 both have 'em.  You can put in a list of paths (not just one path) to watch.  Works recursively with subfolders, of course.

Please put 'em in MC9.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

LisaRCT

Re: Feature request: one-click update/import
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 08:15:17 am »

This is a nice convenience.

My work-around has been to make a folder named "IMPORT"

Within the Import folder are three sub-folders:
"Downloads", "Ripped", "Process"

I set these as the defaults for all my download and
audio ripping/converting software

I then set a Favorite within MC pointing to my Import folder so I can easily go there to tag, import

finally I use MC's "rename files from properties" including the folder settings: \artist\album which relocates the files to the library.

Cumbersome, Yes indeed.

I imagine someday computers will be able to do things like this for us automatically   :P

::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up