INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time shifting to client PC  (Read 5214 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Time shifting to client PC
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:00 am »

So, as I understand it, time shifting to a client PC using .ts files will stop playback at the point in the recording that you actually started watching it.

Is it possible (and if not, why?), to stream the .jtv file to the client since it is available at least while recording?  It get's very frustrating having to continually restart a program so that I can finish it. 

Or, if that isn't possible, is it possible to have Handbrake able to compress a .jtv file?  That way I could record in .jtv format, and compress to something else for archival...which is what I do now anyways, but it seems that .ts is supported by handbrake, but .jtv is not.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Time shifting to client PC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:59 am »

If you play a channel on a client (without recording) the server definitely streams jtv.  When you have a recording going on, you can still play the channel instead of playing the recording.  And finally, even if you play the recording, MC should stream jtv.  If it does not, something is wrong.  I will have to take a look.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:52:16 am »

OK...this is what I am seeing...as of last night (on build .79)

If I selected the currently recording program from my "Recorded TV" view (in theater view), it would stop at the point in the recording where I started watching.  If I just pressed play again, it would resume from where I left off until it hit the new point in time.  I assumed this was because it was streaming the .ts file to the client, but I don't know that for sure, I guess...

If I went into the guide, and selected the channel, it would start playing from the live point, and not let me move backwards in time to the beginning, or back to any point other than the point in time I actually selected the time.  I am almost positive that this behavior was different in the past.

Thanks for checking into it...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:15 am »

If I selected the currently recording program from my "Recorded TV" view (in theater view), it would stop at the point in the recording where I started watching.  If I just pressed play again, it would resume from where I left off until it hit the new point in time.  I assumed this was because it was streaming the .ts file to the client, but I don't know that for sure, I guess...

That seems to be playing the TS file directly.  You can check by right-click, DirectShow filters.  If you see "JRiver TS Reader filter" it is jtv.  If you see LAV splitter filter, it is TS.

If I went into the guide, and selected the channel, it would start playing from the live point, and not let me move backwards in time to the beginning, or back to any point other than the point in time I actually selected the time.  I am almost positive that this behavior was different in the past.

This is the way it should behave as you are playing a "live" channel.

I just did a test.  There are several ways of playing a currently recording show on a client. 

In Theater view:

Video > Shows > Recent, and selected a show that is being recorded.
Video > Disk, and go to your TV recordings folder and select a file to play.

In standard view:

Television > Recordings, you can a recording from there.
Video > File > ts > select a file and play. 

All of the above methods resulted the video being streamed as jtv.

Is your "Recorded TV" a custom view?  If so, how did you set it up?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:28:03 am »

I'll check this tonight when I get home.  My recorded TV view filters out .jtv files, otherwise I would see duplicates in the view, so I wonder if that is why it plays the .ts file.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:34:53 am »

When you record in ts mode, there is no need to see jtv.  The client will switch to requesting a jtv file when you try to play a ts file that is currently being recorded.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:03:43 am »

So...if it is streaming the .jtv, should the expected behavior be that once you are 'caught up' with the original time shifting buffer, that it should continue to play, or will it think that it has reached the end of the file...currently, I am getting the latter, and playback stops.  If I record in .jtv format, I am fairly certain this restriction doesn't exist, but it does keep me from compressing with Handbrake.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:18:56 am »

What you see seems to be ts file, not jtv file.  That is not expected behavior.  You can check DirectShow filters on the client while playing to make sure.  If you see "JRiver TS Reader filter", we are dealing with jtv.  For ts, you would see LAV Splitter.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 12:05:31 pm »

I copied the filter info below.  I tried playing back 2 ways, one from my custom Recorded TV view in Theater View, and the other from the To be Recorded view in Theater View.  It appears that both are playing the .ts file...please correct me if I am wrong.

Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {171252A0-8820-4AFE-9DF8-5C92B2D66B04}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver URL Reader'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Stream  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'

Filter 'JRiver URL Reader'
        CLSID: {8C60ABF3-CA3C-40E4-8767-7A894CA6EDF1}
        Host:
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Stream  Sub type TIME_FORMAT_NONE, Format type TIME_FORMAT_NONE

--------------------playback from "to be Recorded"-----------------------
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        CLSID: {8303B00A-D9E3-4BD7-A79A-AD7077F54123}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\j river\media center 20\tv\mjtsfilereader.ax
        Output Pin 'Audio Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Video Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »

Read the filter list from bottom up.

The second filter list (watching from "To be recorded") shows that "JRiver TS Reader filter" was loaded.  That is saying the streaming is jtv.
The first list shows "JRiver URL Reader" and "LAV Splitter (auto-configured)", indicating that playback was for a TS file.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:28:10 pm »

OK...so it must be something in my view I created...any ideas?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:59:42 pm »

OK...so it must be something in my view I created...any ideas?

Tell me how you created it.  Then I will try it on my machine.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 07:15:03 pm »

I think this is all you will need...if not, let me know.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 06:43:43 pm »

I created a Recorded TV view using your example (except the folder I am looking for is "TV Recording", not "Recorded TV" since that is where my recordings are).

I am still not seeing any problems.  Playback on a client is through jtv.

?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 06:47:04 pm »

the only other thing I can think of is that under "Shows", I removed all filtering, and moved them to the individual items (Series, recent, etc).  I think I did that so I could move "To be recorded" under shows.  Would that make a difference?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:45 am »

I removed filtering under "Shows", and still no change.  It should not matter.  MC plays a file in the database, if that file happens to be currently recording, we switch to jtv.

Perhaps you can send logs from both the server and the client.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »

I'll try to get logs...but just a little bit more info...

Tonight I tried just starting a program from the "To Be Recorded" view, and while it did stream the .jtv, it didn't start from the beginning, it started from where it was in the episode, just like tuning to the channel live.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 11:20:00 pm »

been a while...but the other night, I noticed that it was working...as I viewed a show that was currently being recorded, the OSD counter continued to grow, and I was able to watch the show till the end.

Tonight, as my wife and I were watching Madame Secretary, it again wasn't working (I was viewing the .ts file).  On a hunch, I rebooted the client PC, and when it came back up, it started streaming the .jtv file, and I was able to watch until the end.

I wish I could narrow it down to what caused the issue.  Next time I notice it, I will just restart MC20, and see if it fixes the issue, or if a full restart is required.

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 05:55:01 am »

So, as I understand it, time shifting to a client PC using .ts files will stop playback at the point in the recording that you actually started watching it.

Just chiming in that I am seeing this behavior as well. I use .ts mode and when I watch a currently recording show from a client PC the playback will end when it reaches the time I started watching the show.
I will try the client restart next time as well. 

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 12:10:31 am »

OK, more info on this.  I started watching the voice tonight while it was still recording.  It was not incrementing time, so I knew it would stop at some point.  I went ahead and just closed MC20 on the client and restarted the software, and then it worked as it should.

Once the Voice was over, Castle was recording, so I tried that show, and it was back to the broken state.

I am unsure if it only works on the first recording after starting the client, or if it is a certain time after it starts, or something else entirely.

I am hoping that you (Yaobing) can maybe try something similar to see if the same thing happens to you.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:20 am »

So it is very consistent...I can stream the .jtv ONLY the first time I start the software...after that, it reverts to the .ts file.

Can anyone else test this and see if it is the same for them?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 10:56:44 am »

I still can not reproduce this.  I just had recordings on three different channels going on the server, and watched all three of them on a client, multiple times, switching from one program to another.  All showed increasing duration.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

so weird.  let me see if I can reproduce this on both of my clients...I know it happens on my intel i3 Win 8.1, but I have a temp client upstairs that is an IvyBridge i7 running win 7 x64, I will report back if it happens on both.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:46 am »

OK, so it does do it on both...here are the exact steps I used to reproduce the issue (all done from client):

1) enter Theater view.
2) go to guide
3) select currently airing program on channel 2.1 (OTA tuner)
4) select record program
5) back out to main menu, and close MC20
6) relaunch MC20, and enter theater view.
7) go to my recorded TV view, and select the program and watch it
8) bring up the OSD and verify that the counter is increasing...which it is.
9) go back to the guide, and cancel the recording of the first show.
10) select a show on channel 5.1 (OTA) and record it.
11) go back to main menu...wait for a few minutes.
12) go into shows, and watch the new show that we are recording
13) bring up the OSD, and the counter is no longer increasing.

I am not sure that all of those steps are necessary, but I just did that, and it reproduces reliably on both of my clients.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »

For an upcoming new build:

Fixed: When an LS client played currently recording shows, in TS format, sometimes the TS files were played instead of jtv files, causing playback to end prematurely since the player of TS files was unaware that the recordings were growing in length.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 05:56:37 pm »

YAY!  I'm glad you were able to find the cause...was thinking I was going crazy!

Hopefully the step by step helped.

I do support for a Video software company as well (but not like MC, more video wall stuff), and I know it can be difficult to work through all the variables!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 11:15:29 am »

Initial indications are that this is working fine now...thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up