INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Remote Control doesn't work the same way as in MC19  (Read 2635 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
JRiver Remote Control doesn't work the same way as in MC19
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »

Hello

Our JRiver remote control doesn't respond the same way as in MC19 anymore. We just installed MC20 and it is
hard to move to the next line in theater view, we sometimes have to press again and again and nothing happens.
It seems to us that you changed something in catching these interrupts...

Who can help?

Is there a registry fix to solve that problem?

Thanks

PS: we also have new batteries in the remote, so that can't be the problem...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Remote Control doesn't work the same way as in MC19
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:53 pm »

There should be no problems with MC20 and the MC Remote.  I use it all the time with MC20.

Make sure you don't have MC19's Media Server also installed.

Reboot.  Then check the Media Center Remote instructions again.

Make sure Windows Media Center is turned off in MC's options.

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:24 am »

Sorry to warm up this topic, but since installing MC20 my wife and I are fighting with a NON RESPONSIVE JRiver remote control !

We checked everything you mentioned, but to no avail at all

Also the "debounce" registry setting has been set to "0" throughout the whole registry

We press keys on the remote and only rarely a command gets a reaction from the program... it behaves like no key has been pressed
Before in MC19 it worked like a charm, scrolling quickly etc, but like this choosing a movie in a long list is just a real pain!

Who can give us the right hint to resolve our problem? We are just not very keen on installing MC19 again, please understand

Thanks for help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:34:17 am »

Also the "debounce" registry setting has been set to "0" throughout the whole registry

We press keys on the remote and only rarely a command gets a reaction from the program... it behaves like no key has been pressed
I don't know what you mean by the comment about the registry, but I don't think that's an MC issue.

Uninstall MC19 if it's still installed.  Re-read the setup instructions for the remote control.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:37:51 am »

While I only used 19 for 3 months before 20 became available I did not have any issues with the MC not responding to the remote. The non response is not all the time but it does happen on a regular basis typically after stopping or pausing a movie. The only fix I have been able to do is to switch with the remote to my cable box which is on a separate input and then change back. It then responds. Another issue is when I select a movie at first there is no response. The little blue circle appears in the middle of the screen like MC is busy. The Windows task bar appears at the bottom. After a small delay the movie starts. Since the taskbar stays I have to stop the movie and restart to get it to disappear. This is different from the "opening" or the disk spinning up after being idle. I don't have 19 installed nor windows media center.

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:16:04 am »

I don't know what you mean by the comment about the registry, but I don't think that's an MC issue.

Uninstall MC19 if it's still installed.  Re-read the setup instructions for the remote control.

Well, Jim, that "debounce" feature is in fact a "do not respond on multiple key presses" and that tip came like 3 years ago from your crew. Since then and until MC19
it worked flawlessly. MC19 is not installed since installation of MC20. To us it seems that the remote control interrupt is not caught the same way it was in MC19 and earlier!
It is annoying to press keys on the JRiver MC remote control and nothing happens. Or only in very rare moments happens something

Tell us why we should use a JRiver remote control then!?

Thanks for the hint, pfm555, but we simply cannot run all the time to the server room on another floor, just to unplug and replug the remote control box all the time. We'd just like to scroll through Theater View lists, choose a movie and play/pause movies, just the normal stuff everyone would do with a remote control

It is FOR SURE a MC20 issue, because neither the O/S nor anything in the setup has been changed, just the program version

And you should take this problem for serious, please! It seems to me that you try to make me believe that I'm the only one with that non-responsive issue. But the comment of pfm555 should tell you the contrary... not true?

And how do we watch a movie since MC20? We start the movie on the main screen in the server room, hit CTRL-P to pause it, run down into the theater room and press the PLAY button on the remote control for like 3 to 20 seconds, until the command gets caught and the movie plays. Not very convenient, to say the least. I doubt that MC20 should be THAT complicated for the user... just saying

I don't want to rant, I would like you to look into this seriously! It might be a problem on our side, who knows, we admit that - but WHERE?

Thanks a lot

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

Are you using any other software or plug-ins with MC?

Did you check your batteries?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »

NOT saying this is your problem...

... but over 90% of customer service calls about remote controls (for any device) are solved by inserting new batteries.

E.G. Chamberlain/Liftmaster had a problem in 2014 where they had a bad batch of batteries and got constant customer service calls about remotes.

(Otherwise perhaps it has something to do with the program having "focus" in Windows ?)

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »

In regards to my set up I use a Logitech ultimate remote which has a rechargeable battery. there are no issues with battery life (meaning shorter times between charges). While I cant be 100% sure, there does not seem to be any issues with the battery I am running windows 8.1. Magic file renamer and Plex  are the only two pieces of software running on this computer beside JRiver MC.

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 01:02:55 pm »

thanks for the hints, but the remote has NEW batteries in it... I even changed them twice... I thought of that (is also mentioned above!)

there is no problem with the focus...

there is ONLY MC20 running, nothing else...

the only thing which might be different compared to other installations is the size: roughly 500'000 music tracks and 6'000 movies...

but nothing has been changed since MC19, where it worked flawlessly

I'm really clueless now!

The only possible cause for me is that someone changed the way the remote control interrupts get caught in the program... or the JRiver remote has a serious problem inside itself, who knows

globetrotters1

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 01:24:31 pm »

Interesting is that there is no way to change the "anti-repeat time" within the remote control options.
It's set to 25ms and there is no way to change that. I wanted to try "Automatic" or another value, I change and hit OK, look again, and the value is again 25ms...

Probably it's that value... who knows

How can I change this value please?

globetrotters1

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:31:56 am »

bump, sorry

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:02 am »

Can you switch back to MC19 to see if the problem goes away? That would help determine whether something on your system broke when MC20 installed or if there is some programming change in MC20 related to your problem.

I use the Logitech Harmony remote too (the 550, 650, 880 and now Ultimate Home), and I have not had any problems - except that when I first upgraded to Win 8.1 for some reason the "ehome" (IR receiver software/driver) didn't install correctly - but that resulted in no remote function at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up