INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC working in tandm with dbpoweramp  (Read 2308 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
MC working in tandm with dbpoweramp
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »

I am a newbie and have just started to rip my CD collection onto a NAS drive using dbpoweramp.  I noticed that there are 6 or 7 "standard" data fields in db that populate automatically.  I am just about to purchase MC 20 and was wondering if I will see all of those fields after I retrieve a file with MC.  Also, I added a field called "Comment" in db, thinking that "Comment" would then continue to be seen in all subsequent files.  But it is not; I've had to add it every time I rip a new CD. (?)  Thanks all!

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: MC working in tandm with dbpoweramp
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:37:42 am »

JRiver Media Center can work in tandem with dBpoweramp.  No problems.  JRiver Media Center can read and display any of the tag fields that dBpoweramp writes to files it rips.

Some of the tags that dBpoweramp writes are not standard tags that JRiver Media Center already knows about.  JRiver Media Center can be configured to display those tags, but you have to tell MC what those tags are so it knows to read that tag and to display it.

Here's the wiki page on Library Fields (a.k.a. tags): http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields
The Manage Library Fields dialog is where you tell MC about which tags you want it to read or write from the files.  That is the dialog where you add new tags.  Add a new tag with the exact same name as the tag that dBpoweramp writes and MC will then be able to read in that tag.

The Comment field that dBpoweramp writes is a standard field.  MC already knows about that standard field and should display what you entered in that field when you ripped the CD in dBpoweramp.

You may need to configure the Tag Action Window (displayed in the lower left-hand corner of MC) to show certain tags.
In the Tag Action Window click where the red arrow is pointing.  That will bring up a menu where you can select which tags are displayed in the Tag Action Window.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:49:46 am »

If you will list the tags, we might add them.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:17 am »

Thanks to you both.  I really was asking two questions, and the second may have got "buried:"  When I ripped my first cd with dbpoweramp I added the field "Comment."  I was hoping Comment would continue to show up in every subsequent db rip screen -- but it has not.  Is there any way to make it repeat automatically?

BTW, I am simply using that new field to indicate the "origin" of each cd.  i.e., was it originally owned by "Wayne" or "Regina" or "Bruce" (etc) before it was ripped.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:23 am »

Comment is a default tag in MC.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:14 am »

Thanks to you both.  I really was asking two questions, and the second may have got "buried:"  When I ripped my first cd with dbpoweramp I added the field "Comment."  I was hoping Comment would continue to show up in every subsequent db rip screen -- but it has not.  Is there any way to make it repeat automatically?

If you're asking how to get dBpoweramp to change it's behavior, you might want to ping their forums.  Someone here might know (I don't), but you've got a much better chance of getting an answer over there if the question is about the behavior of their software.

Frobozz

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:50 pm »

BTW, I am simply using that new field to indicate the "origin" of each cd.  i.e., was it originally owned by "Wayne" or "Regina" or "Bruce" (etc) before it was ripped.

You'll need to verify that dBpoweramp is configured to write the Comment tag to the files
In dBpopweramp click on the Options button on the toolbar
for "Meta Data & ID Tag" click [Options]
Scroll down in that options list to the section for "Write ID Tags"
Make sure there is a checkmark by the "Comment" tag
Make sure there is a checkmark by any other tag you want saved

I've used dBpoweramp for ripping for about a decade I think.  About as long as I've been using JRiver Media Center or Jukebox.  Most of my CDs were ripped using dBpoweramp.  Its ripping and tagging gets along fine with JRiver Media Center.  JRiver Media Center can be configured to recognize and handle any of the tags that dBpoweramp writes.  The two programs work well together.

One command in JRiver Media Center that you'll need to get familiar with is "Update Library (from tags)".  That command will update the JRiver library (the database of your music) with any tag changes that are in the files.
Select an album or a group of files
Go to Tools >> Library Tools >> Update Library (from tags)

MikeO

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:02 am »

Hi

Running Update files from Tags takes a while if its a big library (30k files around 12 hours in my case) , just out of interest does that process do it by difference , ie does it only copy new or changed tags or when I run it does it do the whole library all over again.

I have made a number of changes and I am about to hit the button again !!

Cheers

Mike

Frobozz

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:13 am »

It is only necessary to do the "Update Library (from tags)" if you've made tag changes using some other program.  Like for example using mp3tag or some other tag editing program.  And then need to sync those changes back into JRiver Media Center.  If you do your tag editing within JRiver Media Center then there is no need to do the "Update Library (from tags)" thing.  Because JRiver Media Center is already keeping the library and tags in sync for you.  For that reason I try to do as much tag editing within JRiver Media Center as possible, rather than using outside tools.

You shouldn't be needing to do an "Update Library (from tags)" on the entire library regularly unless you've got some special needs. It shouldn't be a common operation for most people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up