INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random files not importing into library from within a CD folder  (Read 1423 times)

Staxxx

• Recent member

Could you please help.
I am a new user of MC. I had v18 last week and upgraded to v20 yesterday hoping it might sort out the problem I have. However, the problem occurs identically with both versions. I used Foobar 2000 before this without any such issue.
My digital CD albums are in individual folders on an internal SSD drive (D:). I imported all the CDs from this drive into a MC library. However several tracks are missing within some CDs after importing. They just do not show up in the library. They do show up if I exit MC and view them through Windows Explorer. I use Windows 8.
They also show up through MC if I open up Explorer from Devices and Drives. Although I can see a small image of a file on the left-most column, they are unidentified with no information showing under the various tag columns. Other track files within the same CD folder show up with the tags/fields populated. On highlighting any of the files I can see the file name while my cursor is on the file.
If I right click and select Import Into Library, I get a message Unknown File Type. When I examine the file names, there appear to be no illegal or even extra characters in the name when compared to other tracks from the same album which have imported normally. As the CD (in this case) was ripped all at once, the file naming for each track is consistent. All the files are WAV64, those that have imported correct (and play perfectly) and those that have not.
I cannot identify the difference between these track files.
Would somebody please have any suggestions. Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Random files not importing into library from within a CD folder
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:06 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

The files are probably in MC but not where you expect them.  Try a search.

Edit the Album Artist tag when you find them.

Staxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:06:49 pm »

Thank you for your help Jim.
The files do not show up with a search - we tried this yesterday.
Note, the files do not appear when I look for them via Albums / Files
The files only can be "seen" if I look for them under Explorer (either through This PC or through Drives and Devices where it says unknown album and unknown artist with regards to tags).
However, the reason given for not importing is as above: Unknown File Type. This seems improbable as the other tracks from the same album have imported perfectly. All the tracks  have consistent nomenclature and file type/conversion within the album.
This is one CD where I can identify the missing tracks (random throughout the album) as the file name actually has numbers in them. There are other CDs without these identifying numbers where I do not know how many and which tracks are missing without crosschecking with the CD information (online or physically). Therefore I will need to fix the entire library.
Regards

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:23 pm »

Is there a consistent file type that doesn't work?

Staxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:49 pm »

No. All the files are in WAV64 and some import and some don,t (from within the same album).
Another discovery - when I go into Playlists - recently imported... there are about 20 files at the absolute end of the list (of about 2,500) which include the files that I am looking for. These files have a file number and then a black box to the left. All the other fields are blank. Can I do something here to those files to "bring" them into the appropriate album please?
Regards

Staxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:19:26 pm »

I was able to investigate further. This appears to be a problem only on a few CDs I think.
While I had the file selected in Playlists - Recently imported, I was able to populate the album and artist fields (using fill tags from file names) and also populate the name of the track using update tag from library. It came up as 1 process completed (1 failure), but the names show up in this view. I then ran an import.
Even though they show up in this view, they still do not show up in the Audio - Album view.
I tried to play the track directly by double clicking the track under Playlist - Recently Imported and got an error message: The Media Types of the selected files are not supported for playback (<none>).
But this is the same as the adjacent track off the same album which is recognized and plays perfectly.
Also in some hopelessness I double clicked the file type tag and typed in w64 and wav, all to no avail. These tracks are just not recognized.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:20 am »

I was able to investigate further. This appears to be a problem only on a few CDs I think.
While I had the file selected in Playlists - Recently imported, I was able to populate the album and artist fields (using fill tags from file names) and also populate the name of the track using update tag from library. It came up as 1 process completed (1 failure), but the names show up in this view. I then ran an import.
Even though they show up in this view, they still do not show up in the Audio - Album view.
I tried to play the track directly by double clicking the track under Playlist - Recently Imported and got an error message: The Media Types of the selected files are not supported for playback (<none>).
But this is the same as the adjacent track off the same album which is recognized and plays perfectly.
Also in some hopelessness I double clicked the file type tag and typed in w64 and wav, all to no avail. These tracks are just not recognized.
How large is the smallest?
Could you email it (bob at jriver dot com) or put in in a dropbox somewhere?

Staxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:33 pm »

Will do so in the next hour.....thank you.
File has been emailed to you yesterday. Please let me know if you have got it. It is via dropbox.

Staxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:52:25 pm »

I identified that there are 5 CDs which produced this problem. These CDs have come from different sources and were converted at various times through last year using DBPoweramp. Some were initially FLAC and some were WAV but all were converted to W64 files.
I deleted two of these CDs off the library and the hard drive and replaced them with the original un-upsampled version (in this case both were initially 16/44.1 in WAV format). All the tracks have been imported into the library without trouble,therefore are visible and play as WAV files. Upsample them to WAV64 and the same few tracks are imported and visible as previous.
The remaining three albums were High-Rez CD files 96kHz and 192k. These were also converted into w64 and possibly resulted in very large files. Could this be one reason that they were not imported into the library correctly? Although worth noting that some tracks did import and while as mentioned others did not show up.
Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:29 am »

I identified that there are 5 CDs which produced this problem. These CDs have come from different sources and were converted at various times through last year using DBPoweramp. Some were initially FLAC and some were WAV but all were converted to W64 files.
I deleted two of these CDs off the library and the hard drive and replaced them with the original un-upsampled version (in this case both were initially 16/44.1 in WAV format). All the tracks have been imported into the library without trouble,therefore are visible and play as WAV files. Upsample them to WAV64 and the same few tracks are imported and visible as previous.
The remaining three albums were High-Rez CD files 96kHz and 192k. These were also converted into w64 and possibly resulted in very large files. Could this be one reason that they were not imported into the library correctly? Although worth noting that some tracks did import and while as mentioned others did not show up.
Thanks.
So the trouble files are all w64. Perhaps the ones having issues are bigger than either 2 gigs or 4 gigs?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 11:14:52 am »

So the trouble files are all w64. Perhaps the ones having issues are bigger than either 2 gigs or 4 gigs?

I guess not since your sample is 200 megs!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

Thanks for the sample.  I can reproduce the problem.

Still not sure on a fix but I'm investigating...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 07:00:44 pm »

Fix coming next build.

Thanks to Hendrik for his wizardry about the w64 format.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up