INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi channel using Dolby Digital  (Read 2684 times)

thane108

• World Citizen
Multi channel using Dolby Digital
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:11 pm »

I have a few hi-def albums that are multi-channel.  I'm using spdif optical from my HTPC to my receiver - Realtek Digital output Wasapi.  I have the Realtek Advanced set to DTS Interactive 5.1 surround.

The optical out from my asus motherboard does support dts connect. 

I'm stuck with using optical out rather than hdmi as I have handshaking issues when I turn off the TV while listening to music.  Long story - but it isn't convenient to use HDMI out to the receiver.

So the only way I can get the multi-channel out across the optical is by setting 'Output Encoding' to 'Dolby Digital.  That works, but hen it down-samples my 9600 to 4800.

Questions

1) Is the down sampling just a limitation of spdif optical - a bandwidth issue?
2)  I'm assuming that there is some loss of audio quality when it down samples.  Right?
3) If I'm not going to use dolby digital to avoid downsampling I should change the Realtek Advanced to 2 channel 24 bit 9600 studio quality.  Does that make sense.

What would you do?  Suggestions and opinions appreciated.

Perseverance wins out in the end!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Multi channel using Dolby Digital
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:57:31 pm »

Try an Internet search on SP/DIF optical and DTS.  I believe the connection can't carry the surround sound channels without compression, which is what Dolby does.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:02:38 am »

The only way to get multi-channel over SPDIF is using DTS or Dolby encoding, and those are limited to 48kHz, so it will always need to downsample, which can result in a quality reduction.
Personally, I would prefer keeping the multi-channel and accepting the downsampling and encoding to Dolby, over using stereo without downsampling.

But honestly, thats entirely  up to you, what you feel sounds better!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:50 am »

Thanks for the clarification - it is helpful to confirm that down sampling will be required if I go with multi-channel over spdif optical.  I'll stop beating my head against the wall!

I have a lot more music in 9600 than I have with mulit-channel - so I'll probably stick with two channel 9600 and let the receiver split that to multi-channel.

Could one of you clarify one more area for me.   Should I be able to get full 9600 multichannel if I stream over the network (ethernet cable)?  Would that solve the bandwidth issue for my hi-def multi-channel?

I don't care for the user interface on my playstation 3 or Yamaha receiver, but I could go that route for my few multi-channel albums if that is a solution.

Thanks again.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:48:30 pm »

I tried all the various options in JRiver Media Network DNLA and was unable to stream multi-channel so I guess network stream isn't a work around to streaming hi-def multi-channel at more than 48,000.

Looks like its HDMI or 48.000 using Dolby.

Thanks for the help, though.

Much appreciated.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »

I solved this by running one hdmi cable to the tv from my motherboard and one to the receiver from my video card - then setting windows sound to the hdmi to the receiver - same with JRiver - and video from jriver to the other hdmi (motherboard).

Now I get 9600 and mulit-channel - and can turn off the tV.

Sorry for the multi-posting - thinking that the solution might be useful for others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up