INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC20 will not play on Mac Mini but iTunes Will  (Read 2330 times)

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver MC20 will not play on Mac Mini but iTunes Will
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to get the music out of the Mac Mini?  I just downloaded MC20 for my new Mac Mini, and can get iTunes to play, but not JRiver.  Configuration is Mac Mini with FW external HDD to Peachtree Grand Integrated via USB. 

Thanks in advance,

S

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
Re: JRiver MC20 will not play on Mac Mini but iTunes Will
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:35:17 pm »

Hello S,

Go to Tool>Option>Audio>Audio Device. It may show the audio device is set up as Built-In Output (Core Audio). Select USB Audio DAC (Core Audio) or similar. Then it should work.

Best regards,
Y. G.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:49:13 pm »

Hello S,

Go to Tool>Option>Audio>Audio Device. It may show the audio device is set up as Built-In Output (Core Audio). Select USB Audio DAC (Core Audio) or similar. Then it should work.

Best regards,
Y. G.

makes total sense. thanks.  

did that, and now I get a message when I try play anything.  "playback problem. something went wrong with playback.  playback could not be ssstarted on the output 'core audio' using the format 44.1kHz 2ch'
This output may not be supported by your hardware.

my 'core audio' is now my peachtree grand which is capable up to 192 kHz. so, not sure what this means.

aargh!

s

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:55:31 am »

Hello S,

It shouldn't be just "[Core Audio]". Is the Grand Integrated you have X-1? If it is, you should be able to see "Peachtree 24/192 USB X [Core Audio]" in the Audio Device setting, you need to select that one.

Even though you select it, if the audio device turns back to "[Core Audio]" again, check whether you have other media player besides JRiver MC on. If not, turn off and turn on Grand Intergrated, and try it again.

If you still don't see "Peachtree 24/192 USB X [Core Audio]", quit JRiver MC and open JRiver MC again.

It should work. Good luck! :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:32 am »

Hello S,

It shouldn't be just "[Core Audio]". Is the Grand Integrated you have X-1? If it is, you should be able to see "Peachtree 24/192 USB X [Core Audio]" in the Audio Device setting, you need to select that one.

Even though you select it, if the audio device turns back to "[Core Audio]" again, check whether you have other media player besides JRiver MC on. If not, turn off and turn on Grand Intergrated, and try it again.

If you still don't see "Peachtree 24/192 USB X [Core Audio]", quit JRiver MC and open JRiver MC again.

It should work. Good luck! :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

Yes.  "Peachtree 24/192 USB X [Core Audio]", is selected, and yes, it's an X-1

But, after closing MC and re-opening, then trying to play something, I get the same message.  But, the message just indicates 'Core Audio' is not capable of 44.1, not Peachtree...

Weird.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:28:06 am »

Hello S,

Are you certain you don't have any other media player open besides JRiver MC? It seems that your Grand Integrated is used by some other media application.

I was wrong on error message part; when other media player already uses the audio device JRiver MC is set up to use, the error says 'Core Audio' is not capable of playing. Sorry about that.

Best regards,
Y. G.

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:04:50 am »

Hello S,

Are you certain you don't have any other media player open besides JRiver MC? It seems that your Grand Integrated is used by some other media application.

I was wrong on error message part; when other media player already uses the audio device JRiver MC is set up to use, the error says 'Core Audio' is not capable of playing. Sorry about that.

Best regards,
Y. G.

I have sonos attached to the optical 1 input and the mac mini connected to the usb input and my turntable connected to the aux. you think theres a conflict with iTunes and jriver fighting over the usb?
sorry im real new at this.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »

Hello S,

No problem. :) I am also learning everyday, so there is no need to be sorry about.

Regarding the matter, it seems strange if you don't have any other media players for audiophiles like Pure Music, Audirvana+, Amarra, Fidelia, BitPerfect, and alike, because if you do, it will fight over the audio device against JRiver MC. These players control the audio device exclusively (which some call "Hog mode"), so either they or JRiver MC need to be closed to play music by your preferred media player, but iTunes doesn't by itself. iTunes will just pause playing while JRiver MC is playing. I moved onto JRiver MC because there are inherent UX and playback problems in them because most of them started out as iTunes integrations, but that's another story. So, please check there are any other application controlling the audio device exclusively opened.

When I set Mac mini audio set up, I use DAC just dedicated for JRiver MC and set OS X's default sound output as built-in output and have either a receiver or speakers hooked up to the built-in speaker/optical output since I don't really care about the sound quality of sounds for the daily use (i.e. an alert, Skype, or whatever), and I'd rather watch movies in Dolby Surround or DTS, so hooking up a surround capable receiver using optical cable really helps.

I understand JRiver is currently developing WDM-like driver for OS X as well that lets other applications to play sound through JRiver MC. Once that happens, I am sure it will definitely attract more people to JRiver MC.

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,
Y. G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up