INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist view  (Read 2515 times)

Biff

• Recent member
Artist view
« on: March 21, 2015, 03:53:30 am »

Hi, I've spent an hour trying to figure this out! I've imported 4 flac Jimi Hendrix albums but when I use the artist view, 3 of them are in 'jimi Hendrix' and one is in 'Hendrix jimi'. I've gone to the folder the albums are stored in and notice that one was named 'Hendrix Jimi' so I've changed it to 'JimI Hendrix'. I then deleted the album from jriver by right clicking on it and 'removed from media library' and then imported again, but I still have two artists - 'Jimi Hendrix' and 'Hendrix Jimi'. I also have this happening with a couple of other artists.

How do I sort this?  I've had a good look around these forums and can't find an answer. Sorry if this is a dumb question!
Thanks for any help....

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Artist view
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:35:26 am »

This is about Tagging, adding information to the audio file
As it is written inside the file it has no relation with the file name

Right click on the album and choose Tag
Change the Album Artist tag to "Jimi Hendrix"

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:38:07 am »

Naming the files differently doesn't change their embedded tags. Use MC to fix it.
When you see both Artists, "rename" (F2) the one you want to match the other, make it match, and when done Jimi will be all together.
Just edit what you see in the Artist view, and the tags will be changed. No need to reorg the files themselves, but you could.

After I get an album or set of albums just the way I want them, then I "Rename, Move and Copy Files", and tell it to:
Make a folder under the root "Music", for the Artist. If one is there already fine,
Make a folder for the Album under the Artist,
Put all the songs in that folder and follow this template:
[Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] - [Name]

That way if I ever ruin my tags somehow, or have to import my files into some other DB, the actual file name is all I need to import correctly.

Hope this helps.

Don

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:26:27 am »

Thanks for the replies. I did try right clicking on the folder to rename it but that option is greyed out. I have also sorted the tag out by renaming it from 'Hendrix Jimi' to 'Jimi Hendrix' but no joy. Still have two folders for Hendrix. Not understanding this...

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:05:31 am »

And there's more.

I have an album in the artist view which was not tagged. I've right clicked on it and clicked tag and tagged it correctly but it's still sitting in artist view as 'unknown artist'. If I right click the folder and try to rename it I can't because the option is greyed out.

And....I had a stray untagged file from an album I've imported, so I right clicked it and hit tag. Tagged it with artist name and album but it's now gone into a completely unrelated album!

Seems I'm not understanding how this naming/tagging works. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:46 am »

your view is probably an Album Artist View and not an Artist View.  Album Artist and Album name create a unique identifier. Artists do not although often they are the same.  You might have Jimi Hendrix as Album Artist but The Jimi Hendrix Experience as the artist. That would group the albums individually, but would keep the experience albums and Band of Gypsies in one place.

either you use the built in albumartist(auto) to fil it in for you .. or for more control tag the Album Artist field.  see http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68609.msg462218#msg462218 http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Tag=metadata, not filename as explained above. As forbrigd said be simple yet consistent in your filenaming, and with backing up both the media AND the JRiver library you can rebuild if disaster strikes.  so eg. x:/Music/ALBUM ARTIST/ALBUM then files and I prefer artwork too. I use Track#_Track Name_Album_Artist  some people add a date its not so important as long as it is consistant

If you choose "Multiple" or "Various Artists" for the AlbumArtist field for your you compilation albums, stick with the your choice and create whatever you choose as a primary subfolder like

x:/Music/Multiple Artists/ALBUM. You may need to create a folder to separate classical albums if you organize by composer, but thats fo another day. You don't need to lengthen your file names by adding genres or subgroups.

I have no idea where you are trying to rename the folders btw Windows, inside JRiver explorer, though Library tools in JRiver? The latter 2 you won't have any issues, Windows greys things out when another program is accessing it ... in this case JRiver probably.

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:58:26 am »

Thanks Arindelle, but I'm just using the normal artist view, as far as I know. I've not added or tweaked any other views. The only settings I've changed are in Audio for my DAC.
What should I be looking for? Please bear in mind I'm completely new to all this...

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:30:44 am »

Just got back home and had a look. I'm in Audio and under that I have a choice of Albums, Artists, Files, Genres etc. These are the view options, correct? I'm using Artist view.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:35 am »

ok I loaded the out of the box view and its "main sort field or tag is indeed on the Album Artist NOT the Artist.

So if you are getting "unassigned" it is because the Album Artist field is empty. Just fill it in using the tagging window. If you need to know how see the wiki please :)

If you want to create a view based only on artists (good for finding things on compilation albums etc., thats pretty easy to do later on.

So lets take some examples using Jimi H and going a little further

Woodstock - lots of Artists  - including Hendrix. The album is a multiple or various artist album right? If nothing is either in the Album Artist tag or [Album Artist (auto)] field did not fill out correctly (read the links I posted for info), the album could be split up  and you'd have 20+ versions of the same album cover on the screen - not great. Hendrix has two or three songs that would be grouped together. If the Album Artist tag was the same for the whole album (eg "Various Artists" it would show up underone album cover. K?

Lets say you have a compilation album of Hendrix some tracks may say the Artist tag = The Jimi Hendrix Experience some may just Jimmy Hendrix or they might say Jimmy Hendrix, Buddy Miles, Billy Cox (for the live Band of Gypsies album). As mentioned to avoid difficulties you should have one "Album Artist" so for example you would probably just put Jimi Hendrix in to keep it together.

Then you have some where you actually have to choose eg; Featuring Norah Jones where she has everyone from Dave Grohl to Q-Tip to Dolly Parton. Is the Album Artist Norah Jones or is it simply a Various Artist record ... I use Norah Jones personally, but JRiver will still consider it to be a multiple artist album unless (if I remember correctly) 70% of the tracks have the same artist. Now if by using a separator ";" in JRiver and all of the tracks have more than one artist BUT they are the same it will come out as a single artist album. Again using Band of Gypseys as an example Jimmy Hendrix; Buddy Miles; Billy Cox were in the tag box Artist for every track then the artist would be all three names  -- useful for albums like the ones with John McGlaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco di Lucia.

Personally I always rip so the Album Artist Field is populated. You can also use the auto method described in the links too of course. If the Album Artist tag (field) has a value, the Album Artist(auto) field will automatically retain that value so you can use the stock views. It does not auto fill in the other direction however.

Not so sure "what you should be looking for", but highly recommend either looking at the wiki to understand Views and tagging and maybe look at Vincent's site which has a bunch of info to reduce the time needed for the learning curve http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/ for more advanced topics on tagging.

Oh last thing don't let iTunes mess with your library and "consolidate it" if by chance you have it running. If you absolutely need to have itunes, let it use YOUR library, not the other way around!

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:17 am »

Arindelle, thank you so much for your effort with that reply. I didn't realise there was so much data in tags!!! Yes, the problem was that I hadn't changed the Album artist from Hendrix Jimi! I didn't even know it was there. How silly do I feel?!? I'll have another read through your last reply and do some studying re tagging. Thanks again.
Just one othe question...all album artwork is present and correct except for the four jimi Hendrix albums (wouldn't you know!). All were ripped the same as all the others. Just wondering how I can manually add the artworks.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:02:58 am »

Just one othe question...all album artwork is present and correct except for the four jimi Hendrix albums (wouldn't you know!). All were ripped the same as all the others. Just wondering how I can manually add the artworks.

sure no problem.

Artwork there are 3 (or more ways^^ actually to do this).

1) select the files =>right click=cover art=>get from internet

you can also choose to save the embedded art to the folder using the cover art tools too

2) go to the internet and find it right click copy image flip back to JRiver and with the tracks selected right click=cover art=>paste from clipboard

3) if the file exist on your computer already, load the file right click=cover art=> then either quick find or add from file (why I prefer to name all cover art as folder.jpg and keep a copy in the album folder. But there are a lot of ways people organize their artwork)

happy listening

Biff

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:05:48 am »

Great. Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up