INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Action Window to default to Tag Info  (Read 2444 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Getting Action Window to default to Tag Info
« on: September 22, 2003, 03:13:04 pm »

Using the latest build (9.1.257) the action window no longer defaults to the "Tag Info" properties when I start MC.  Is there a way to get it to default to starting up on "Tag Info," or at least return to the most recent state when starting MC?  At the moment, the AW always returns to the topmost menu whenever I start MC, meaning I have to hit "file properties" then "tag info" every single time I open the program -- not "that" big of a deal, but annoying none-the-less.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Getting Action Window to default to Tag Info
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 11:55:29 am »

I was just told in another thread that this is by design -- that:

"That is intentional.  We had to decide between ease of use for experienced users and clarity for newer users.  For an experienced user, it means a couple extra clicks.  If you want to discuss it, please use a different thread."

I would think that most people would tend to have a "most common preferred state" for the AW window, and would therefore prefer to have it remember the last open view.  I, for example, prefer to keep it on the "detailed tag info" screen almost all the time, so it's more conducive to my way of working to have it come up to this page when starting MC.

If anybody agrees with this, please post your preference here so that this feature (which was the way the AW originally worked a few releases ago) can potentially be reinstated.

Steve -- would it be difficult to offer a "default AW startup page" as an option on the "startup properties" page?

Thanks,

Larry

phelt

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 03:24:33 pm »

Having to click down to tag info every time is very annoying. I can only surmise that the action window is great for some subset of users, but for me it's been a step backwards.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 04:12:47 pm »

Could you use Alt-Enter?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 08:01:39 pm »

I just found out about the Alt-Enter method, and while this does make things a bit easier, it's still annoying to have to do this EVERY time I open the program.  It's one of those psychological things that makes a difference even though it doesn't seem like it would.

Given that so many people use the "Detailed Tag Info" page of the AW so frequently, I have a feeling that most people would end up making it default to this page if given the choice.

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 11:26:46 pm »

Given that so many people use the "Detailed Tag Info" page of the AW so frequently, I have a feeling that most people would end up making it default to this page if given the choice.
I think you're right about this.

That is intentional.  We had to decide between ease of use for experienced users and clarity for newer users.  For an experienced user, it means a couple extra clicks.  
Given that there has not been a flood of posts to this thread it seems that most experienced users are not too bothered about the couple of extra clicks (or the Alt+Enter method).  I have to say that I fall into this category.

Steve -- would it be difficult to offer a "default AW startup page" as an option on the "startup properties" page?
That would be a good solution for the next release.

In the meantime another solution is to use the toolbar button - just one click.

phelt

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 12:39:34 am »

I agree with lalittle's comment about the psychology of things like this in interface design. I lose respect for any given interface's design when I think things like "Why am I performing this repetitive task? Isn't that what machines are for? Isn't "remembering" one of the fundamental purposes of modern computers?"

This effect is made worse if I perceive that a program's functionality has been reduced - I didn't used to have (as much of) a problem with the way tag info was displayed. Now I perceive this function of MC as less efficient than previous versions.

I think J River have a better than average idea of how much impact seemingly trivial functionality changes can have. Remember the "What should pressing Enter in the search bar do?" debate?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 01:33:43 am »

Now I perceive this function of MC as less efficient than previous versions.

Exactly.  I would have wanted this functionality even if I hadn't already gotten used to it, but since it DID work this way before, it's all the more dissappointing to find it missing now.

I think J River have a better than average idea of how much impact seemingly trivial functionality changes can have.

I agree.  They quite obviously have an honest interest in the details -- as shown by their very presence on this forum.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if a "default AW startup page" option showed up at some point.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up