INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing CDs???  Do's?  Don't's?  (Read 2451 times)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Storing CDs???  Do's?  Don't's?
« on: October 06, 2003, 07:44:41 am »

OK, so I'm slowly ripping all of my CDs and putting them into boxes.  Is there anything that I should know about storing them?  

i.e. Does it matter how dry/wet it is? (of course w/i reason)  How about cold?  And heat?  I was thinking of putting them in either the garage, basement or attic, but figured I'd see whether anyone knows what to do, and/or what not to do.

thanks,
kiwi

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Storing CDs???  Do's?  Don't's?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 07:58:51 am »

I have a Box Of Memorex here and it tells you how to care for your cd-s right on the box.

Direct Sun Light Is Bad
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 01:23:42 pm »

Does it matter how dry/wet it is?

Humidity is bad. People who live in very humid, tropical parts of the world can have a problem with "cd rot".

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=2490

For long term storage, I would say a stable environment (light, temperature, humidity) would be something to strive for.

Rob

phelt

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 03:21:05 pm »

Yes, humidity is a problem for storing nearly anything. You can throw some dessicant packets in the boxes to help reduce dewpoint. These are the little packets that are often found in shoeboxes.

Temperature is another significant factor. Heat obviously could warp the plastic which protects the reflective layer of a CD, possibly causing it to separate and allow oxidization. Even a small degree of warping could have very negative effects if the disc is later used in a high-speed CD drive. Unbalanced discs rotating at high speeds have an annoying propensity for 'explosion'. Not sure what impact freezing might have, but with enough ambient humidity the results would probably be unwelcome.

Short answer: store in a cool dry place.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 11:07:14 pm »

Definately DON'T store them in a large metal cage suspended on chains within the mouth of a volcano. I've read somewhere on the 'net that this can lead to problems playing back on most consumer-grade CD players.
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up