INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manage links  (Read 3464 times)

bobkatz

• World Citizen
Manage links
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:51:08 am »

I posted this a week or two ago in what I think is a dead thread as there were no replies so I'm posting again:

I have no idea how and why the URL links appear and disappear in the links bar near the top of standard view. When I created a new zone to play YouTube videos recently the YouTube link disappeared from that bar...  When pressing the start button that creates a new tab there are no links at all in the bar. It's a mystery to me. The topic "Manage Links" is not in the Wiki and searching for the word "links" gives me a lot of information that I don't know what it's for or how to do it. Clearly this is a part of MC that I've never used up to now and all I'm trying to do is get the YouTube link to appear and stay in the links bar!

I can right click on a link and choose "manage links" but for the life of me I can't make the Youtube link appear in the bar although it is showing in the manage links window. I see no options to put any of those links in the bar....   I can change to some other zones I have created and used which have the Youtube link but can't figure out how to keep that link in my preferred zone. Right now after adding some tabs and taking them away, the links are all gone in the links bar in my preferred zone! The only way I can access Youtube so far in my preferred zone is to choose from videos/connected media in the left hand column.

Must be something basic I'm missing! Thanks for any help. MC 20 PC.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Manage links
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:06:15 am »

No replies? I replied, on the 6th, right after you ask...
is any expert actually reading this topic and looking for new posts?

I wrote:
We all read. Generally, if there's no reply, it means no-one knows.

The links will appear and disappear based on the media types in the file list. When setting up links, if you specify in the search that "[Media Type]=[Audio]" for example, then those links will only show when you have a list of audio files. That way, the links are always relevant to the content you are browsing.

??

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »

No replies? I replied, on the 6th, right after you ask...
I wrote:
??

Sorry, Marko... I didn't see your reply. So, no one knows the answer to this question? In that case I'll show you some screenshots to elucidate.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:25 am »

Is this solved? I have the very same issue e.g. links are appearing / disappearing randomly (using only default links)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:39:37 am »

So, no one knows the answer to this question? In that case I'll show you some screenshots to elucidate.

They appear and disappear depending on the Links templates you've created.
MrC made this guide, and it all still applies:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83371.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:45:36 am »

As I mentioned I use only default links (even tried to reset them) e.g. I have not created any links myself at all.
By appearing / disappearing I mean "showing them all / showing none"

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:23:43 am »

OK, so at least in my case the issue is related to Split View - if more than one is used, links get lost (even if there seems to be enough space for them next to tabs) so now I know how to workaround it.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »

OK, so at least in my case the issue is related to Split View - if more than one is used, links get lost (even if there seems to be enough space for them next to tabs) so now I know how to workaround it.

Dear Johnny: Can you please illustrate your workaround to see all links? I think I follow but I'd welcome an illustration. Thanks.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »

Well basically either use 1 view only (e.g. no split view) or narrow one view enough so the links would have the space to appear.
Also be aware that (even default) links do (not) appear with regards to the content shown - for example in my split view showing Playing Now tab only I got confused by showing no links at all (with empty playlist) however once a track is placed in Playing Now, (some) links suddenly appear (very confusing); also others appear / disappear when switching different already open tabs (audio, video)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 06:40:48 pm »

The links are specific to the type of content visible or selected.

So, yes, if there are no files in the list, then no links will be visible.
Also, if you select a Video file, a different set of links is shown than if you select an Audio file.  You can make different links for all different kinds of things.

For example, I have an HBO Go link for TV Shows in my library that are HBO shows.  When I select any episode of Game of Thrones or The Sopranos, I get an HBO Go link (which, when clicked, takes me to the HBO Go page for that series), but when I select an episode of Homeland, I do not (because Homeland is on Showtime and so it doesn't show that link).

The links shown are based on a search. This is covered in MrC's tip thread linked above (I even provided my HBO Go link in the thread).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:37 pm »

And, I get my Links with Split Views unless the view is very small (where there is obviously no room for the links to appear).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:33:10 pm »

They appear and disappear depending on the Links templates you've created.
MrC made this guide, and it all still applies:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83371.0

It looks like at least the Rotten Tomatoes link needs updating.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83371.msg674035#msg674035
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:47 pm »

Cool. Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up