INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent Pausing, "Skipping" During Playback And complete Stopping  (Read 4911 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

Since .74 and now with .80 I have been experiencing intermittent passing/skipping during playback and on occasion complete stoppage of JRiver which the only way to escape is via a Force Quit. I at first thought and was concerned about a problem with my HDD. However I decided to try playback with another software and as of the first hour of playback I have not experienced this issue. I'm going to continue to use this software for today to try and be certain whether or not there is an issue beyond JRiver. Is anyone else experiencing this?  Any recommendations or fixes?

Thanks
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

It's possible something is wonky with your soundcard.

Try switching your audio output in Options > Audio.  Pick the basic mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

I had just switched the other day from .74 to .80. I first attributed this to a JRiver issue because I could playback using iTunes or Audirvana without this pausing/skipping problem. Then I had been thinking this may have been a network/wifi issue because yesterday the issue seemed to have disappeared. I had at least a four hour listening session without issues. Suddenly this morning the pausing/skipping has returned and occurred in the second and third song I played. I'm not sure how to proceed. If I'm the only one with the issue it points to something within my setup but why only when using JRiver.

I keep three versions of the .dmg file so I have.80, .74 and the previous version. Maybe I should reinstall the oldest version where I don't recall experiencing this issue (it just happened again on the fourth song). I cannot imagine what has changed to cause this. It is kind of like playing an old LP that has a skip in it for a couple of seconds or fraction of a second and then plays on. Lastly I have stopped a couple of these songs that had this issue restarted play and played through without issue which would indicate to me that it is not a file issue (and now on the fifth song again just one brief hesitation but very irritating).

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"

Hello,

Have you changed anything at the device setting at all? I agree with Matt; something may not be right with the audio settings.

Best regards,
Y. G.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

I made no changes or addition to my Mac Mini or JRiver

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

I'm not sure what else to do at this moment but step back a from .80 and .74 to .67 where I didn't have this skip/pause problem. If it continues then I have to look to my system with my Mac Mini and my HDD. If it does not them something may be up with JRiver. I've read another thread with two people describing something similar. I'm going to listen tonight and tomorrow morning to .80 until the problem comes up again. Then I will do a fresh install of .67 and see what happens.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

I'm not sure how many songs I played through last night but they played without issue. This morning after 24 songs played in the middle of a song it froze up. I had to Force Quit to be able to do anything.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

This sounds similar to another problem that may be a problem with the Surface Pro:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96249.msg663763#msg663763

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

This morning I played about 15 tracks using .80 without issue. I am just starting playback again now and see how far I get. I maybe should mention almost all my playback is from Smartlists in Shuffle mode. If the pause/skip happens again I'll switch to .67 for a couple of days. It is a bit frustrating since I have not made any changes or updates to my system and JRiver had been rock solid for me for quite a while. Who knows it could be something on my side.  I just hope to figure this out.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen

Well it shut down again after 19 tracks, frozen solid. This morning I installed .67. I listened to 14 tracks before I had to leave. I'm starting another session now and I am not sure whether to hope I don't have a problem (which would point to a JRiver issue with .74 and .80) or if it does replicate the problem (then I have a system issue to figure out). I think I hope it's the former (not wishing ill on my friends at JRiver) rather than the latter (because if it is my problem it could be more costly). If it occurs I'm going to listen one or two days with Audirvana/iTunes and see if longer sessions on that will replicate it.

Very confusing. I had a problem some time ago. I never did figure it out but it just sort of disappeared. JRiver has been very stable for me for the most part for awhile.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Intermittent Pausing, "Skipping" During Playback And complete Stopping
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 05:40:44 pm »

So after reinstalling .67 the skip/pause began on track 20 and continued through 22. I shut it down not waiting for it to lock up. I just opened Audirvana/iTunes and played the first file that just began the skip/pause problem to see if I had a file problem but it played through perfectly. I don't know what to do. I think I will reinstall .80 and completely shut down and reboot my system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

Power everything down and back up.  If you're playing from a NAS or over the network, power the whole network down and back up, including the modem and router.  DAC, etc.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »

Power everything down and back up.  If you're playing from a NAS or over the network, power the whole network down and back up, including the modem and router.  DAC, etc.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to do that right now. I just re downloaded and did a fresh install of .80. Everything is going down and then I will reboot/restart everything.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:43 pm »

Hopefully it was something as simple as a reboot and silly I didn't even think of it earlier. I did as I said and I shut everything that had to do with my computers, my network and my audio system down and restarted everything. So far so good. I'm running .80 and I'm on my 31st song without issue. I had not made it past 24 songs without a problem for some time.  I'm done listening for the evening. Looking to see if results will be as promising tomorrow and going forward. If this is it and it's okay about all I can do is shrug my shoulders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up