INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View  (Read 2284 times)

tony_harman

• Recent member
Theatre View
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:52:43 am »

Hi,

I'll start by admitting I did this slightly arse about face:

I trialled JRiver on my Windows 7 laptop and absolutely loved it! Superb sound and absolutely perfect for my intended use on a media PC, displayed via my TV when using the superb Theatre view. All other alternatives I've tried were either not as good, or far too small to be useful when viewed on a TV on the other side of the room..

Then, I bought a 2nd hand Mac mini as my media PC, mainly because the hardware just seems better, as well as more stylish looking! I guess I should have researched this more, but I'd assumed the Windows + Mac versions would be identical, but I've now realised there is no Theatre view in the Mac version :-(

Scouring the internet, I can see this issue has been raised many times before and I appreciate the difficulties faced porting the Windows software to Mac. However, I would like to know if I'm better off:

1. Installing Windows, on the basis that Mac users won't necessarily see Theatre view in the next 6 months+?
2. Holding tight with the Mac + OSX and waiting for the Theatre view to be added?

If I go with the first option, would it be possible to obtain a refund for my recently purchased upgrade to a Master license? This is obviously no use to me if I abandon OSX and the software is no use to me without Theatre view as it's too difficult to view on the TV.

I'm happy to hang on if there is an update planned, but not if it's not going to happen for the next 6 months or longer. Please advise?

Many thanks,

Antony

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:08:38 am »

I don't know the answer, but if you use JRemote for control with an Android or iOS device , then Theater View becomes a moot issue. You have a better than Theater View experience on a tablet or phone.

tony_harman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:42:23 am »

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I don't seem to be able to find this in the Google Play store?

It looks really good, but I already have something similar with my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic player. I was really pinning my hopes on this Theatre View.

Best regards,

Antony

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:29 am »

Hello Antony,

As Jim mentioned in one of the below thread, they are eventually going to have the Theatre view feature on Mac version of JRiver MC as well this year, but he said, it's not close yet.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Y. G.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:38:35 am »

That link is not for JRemote for Android, its an entirely unrelated product.
JRemote for Android is still being developed and tested as I write this, and it should be available to the public soon, but not quite yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

I don't know the answer, but if you use JRemote for control with an Android or iOS device , then Theater View becomes a moot issue. You have a better than Theater View experience on a tablet or phone.

I would respectfully disagree. I love JRemote and the viewing experience on there is awesome. However if you use a large screen HDTV as I do as a monitor and you wish to display in that manner then the lack of Theater View on the Mac side is a big deal, at least to me. I patiently (best I can) await.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »

That link is not for JRemote for Android, its an entirely unrelated product.
JRemote for Android is still being developed and tested as I write this, and it should be available to the public soon, but not quite yet.

Thank you, Hendrik.

I apologize I should have verified it before writing it. I will be more careful from now on.

Best regards,
Y. G.

tony_harman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 03:47:19 am »

Hi,

Thank you to everyone for your helpful comments!

It sounds like mwheelerk and I have exactly the same school of thought on this. The primary reason for buying JRiver over others was Theatre View for use on my TV! I think there should be something to warn buyers about the difference in features when purchasing a Master license, as it is a very big deal for us. I evaluated on my existing Windows laptop, then bought a MAC entirely for JRiver and am now feeling a bit let down. Potential buyers can't be expected to trawl through the forums before purchasing a Master License!

(Unless, of course, this IS mentioned already and it was my mistake, in which case I apologise!)

I'm please to hear it's due later on this year, though, and JRemote does look like it's going to be useful. It may even prompt me to sell my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic player, as it will effectively become redundant when that's available.

Thanks,

Antony
Pages: [1]   Go Up