INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interact, help me cut the cable!  (Read 1223 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Interact, help me cut the cable!
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »

The last thing left for me to do with MC is TV then it's officially my media source in the house

I've tried tuner cards (hauppage) but very unsatisfied with the results (Canada...not so good for choices of content)

I'm just wondering if any of you have suggestions for TV content...I currently have Netflix but that's it for streaming.  Streaming services are cheap, I'm happy to get as many as needed (or useful in Canada) to get the right content

What is that?  Disney XD!  That is a non starter right there, kids are all up in that garbage.  And CNN (even better would be BBC).

If anyone has any suggestions or links to information on such things I would be obliged.  I'm starting to research a bit more what I may be able to do with my tuner card

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Interact, help me cut the cable!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »

The last thing left for me to do with MC is TV then it's officially my media source in the house

I've tried tuner cards (hauppage) but very unsatisfied with the results (Canada...not so good for choices of content)
The big thing you are missing in your post is what you want.

What is that?  Disney XD!  That is a non starter right there, kids are all up in that garbage.  And CNN (even better would be BBC).

That paragraph only makes sense to people you talk to every day.  Usually a "non starter" means something that is not wanted, which is reinforced by the characterization as "garbage".  I might assume that "are all up in" means "want", but often when kids want "garbage", that means the parents want to keep it away.

If you are saying you want it, forget it.  It is owned by ABC/ESPN/Disney and it is restricted to paid subscribers of cable or satellite.   (This applies to most kids programming, other than Public TV.)

CNN and BBC can be found in various places on the Internet, do a search.

Ultimately, "cutting the cord" means that you are giving up on the concept of "channels" in favor of "programs" (e.g. Netflix, etc.).  The exception is the local Over The Air broadcast, i.e. through your Hauppauge tuner.  If you don't like the Canadian local TV or Canadian Public TV, then "cutting the cord" means a total shift to programs instead of channels.

The one exception currently is HBO, which now allows subscription over the Internet without a cable/satellite subscription (although that may not include Canada).  I would guess that runs US$15-US$20 just for HBO.

Of course, getting TV over the Internet requires pretty good Internet speed.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Interact, help me cut the cable!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

I checked and HBO will not be available over the Internet in Canada (and, it is an On-Demand service, i.e. individual programs).   Hulu and Hulu Plus are not available in Canada, and Amazon Instant Video is not available in Canada.

Your best bet is to find a Forum about TV alternatives in Canada.   I expect they involve "grey market" subscription to US TV, and cost significant money (which is contrary to the "cutting the cable" concept).
Pages: [1]   Go Up