INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failing to play DSD files, over HDMI with my reciever  (Read 8433 times)

wiseben

• Recent member
Failing to play DSD files, over HDMI with my reciever
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:38:28 am »

Hey all!
I got Denon AVR-X3000 reciever that support dsd (thats what i read)
When i try to open DSD file, im hearing nothing but that white noise.
How can i solve this?
Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Failing to play DSD files, over HDMI with my reciever
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:17:59 am »

PCs cannot output DSD over HDMI.
Have Media Center convert to PCM. (i.e. don't enable the DSD Encoding or Bitstreaming options)

wiseben

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:30 am »

PCs cannot output DSD over HDMI.
Have Media Center convert to PCM. (i.e. don't enable the DSD Encoding or Bitstreaming options)

That means i cant listen to DSD files with DSD sound at all?

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:00:27 am »

Not via HDMI. From a PC, you would typically use a USB connection for DSD bitstreaming.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:41 am »

If you enter the DSD on PC world..you'll rapidly see the pitfalls. DSD was developped by SONY as format for SACD. Clearly one main focus was the fact that the format was only playable by dedicated hardware. This resulted in the fact that there has never been internal pc drives which could play SACD's. (An exception were some vaio models). Also SACD were advertized to be unrippable. But there's always a flaw somewhere and funnily it had to happen on sony hardware...some clever guy found out that an SACD could be ripped with certain models of playstation 3. Remember that at that time you could not legit buy or download files in DSD.
Once this was known it was immediately closed by firmware update but some of us still have the old ps with the "i'm wondering why i don't update" firmware and rip their sacd collection to NAS be it in iso or in dsf files.
NOW :
How to play these files ? JRiver is by far the most evolved player to do so. But you won't be able to bitstream DSD over HDMI because there is as far as i know no hdmi audio driver (intel, nvidia, amd) which has implemented it. (It is foreseen in the hdmi spec though). So all of us having av receivers which accept dsd over hdmi we are screwed. Of course you could still decode dsd in jriver and send pcm over hdmi...
I don't want to open the discussion what sounds better...it's useless and endless but let's just say that DSD bitstreaming from pc to AV receiver over hdmi is still impossible.
Now that dsd is becoming available to legit buy and download...av receivers implement it in their internal media player. This is where manufacturers most take us for fools. Some advertize that dsd is supported but you'll find out that it only applies to files stored on a usb stick plugged into the av and not stored on a nas (by ethernet). For others it's part of another product release : op'S DENON X3000 cannot read dsd through ethernet but x3100 can.

Once you have that fixed and you want to go to the most exclusive and exotic format which would be dxd or dsd 5.6 or above and multichannel you even are more standing in the rain.

If you download or have ripped your sacd collection and want bitsreaming BE VERY ATTENTIVE to the av's user manual. When on the first product sheet itS written accepts dsd it mostly only should read "accepts dsd over hdmi"

I have given up bitstreaming directly to the AV and have invested in a dedicated DAC (USB). I have choosen the exasound e28 which just does it all and my AV is fed by analog.

I would still love to see somebody coming up with an hdmi audio driver which would pass dsd bitstream.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:32:32 am »

Once you have that fixed and you want to go to the most exclusive and exotic format which would be dxd[...]
DXD is 24-bit, 352.8kHz PCM. Media Center converts 1x DSD to 64-bit 352.8kHz PCM. (better than DXD)
And if necessary, it can then be output at whichever is the highest format that your playback device supports, such as 24-bit 192kHz.

There is nothing but noise above 30kHz or so in a DSD signal. This can be stored in an 88.2kHz file without loss.
Bitstreaming DSD is overrated. Same goes for formats like DTS-HD.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:11:01 am »

There is nothing but noise above 30kHz or so in a DSD signal. This can be stored in an 88.2kHz file without loss.
Bitstreaming DSD is overrated. Same goes for formats like DTS-HD.

please don't start...I was just saying exclusive and exotic because DXD and 256DSD represent...dunno...0.5% off readily available files on download. And you still need specific DACS which are able to handle PCM at 352.8.

be it overrated or not some just want to see the freaking AV receiver display "DSD" or "DTS-HD Master". If it's better to their ear ...we don't care...but for sure for them it's better to their eyes ;)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:50:53 pm »

As I read the Denon manual, your receiver accepts 2.8 MHz DSD over usb, but not over HDMI. This is not just a JRiver limitation, it is a limitation of your receiver. It also says you cannot connect a PC to it via USB. You need to connect a usb disk drive to the receiver to play DSD over usb. There may be a network option via airplay, but I don't know about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up