INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback: Macrovision  (Read 3079 times)

Skeptikus

• Recent member
DVD Playback: Macrovision
« on: October 02, 2003, 02:19:33 pm »

I get an error message:
"This DVD-Video content is protected by Macrovision.
The system does not satisfy Macrovision requirement.
Can't continue playing this disc."

Disc is original, WinDVD and Realplayer can play the disc.
I tried both drives, different DVD's, I keep getting the same message (for rc1 and rc2 dvd's).
It simply comes down to that I can't play DVD's with MediaCenter. Not nice.

Any fixes, workarounds, user instruction etc. so I can play DVD's with MC9?

Thanks

Media Center Registered 9.0.180 -- C:\Programme\Media\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1794 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 628 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PHILIPS  DVD+RW-D01         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD Playback: Macrovision
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 08:29:05 am »

Search for "free DVD filters" on this web page:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/encoding_plugin.html

Install them and see if MC works better with DVD's.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Skeptikus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 09:08:11 am »

Thanks! Downloaded, installed/registered. Didn't work though.
Another piece of software did the trick ("Region-Free",
http://www.dvdidle.com/).

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 10:02:15 am »

Thanks! Downloaded, installed/registered. Didn't work though.
Another piece of software did the trick ("Region-Free",
http://www.dvdidle.com/).

I wonder about the legalities of Region-free...  isn't the whole point behind region codes that the movie mafia wants to prevent you from viewing movies in a region other than where the DVD is sold?

I ended up buying a set-top DVD player that can be hacked with the remote for "region-free" and I bought two DVD-ROM players (one for each of the two regions I'm interested in).

It would seem that Region-free (though expensive at $40) is a better deal than buying an extra DVD-ROM.

I also wonder why MC was being difficult when the other DVD player software weren't.

Scott-

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 10:39:28 am »

NVidia changed thier drivers (post 40.72) to deliver that message if you have some kind of TV out function installed, wether on the video card or a seperate card.  Other media player developers gotten around it somehow.

Let us know what hardware and drivers you are using.

Try this link for a start: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=nvidia+macrovision

Skeptikus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 09:59:24 am »

I wonder about the legalities of Region-free...  isn't the whole point behind region codes that the movie mafia wants to prevent you from viewing movies in a region other than where the DVD is sold?

I ended up buying a set-top DVD player that can be hacked with the remote for "region-free" and I bought two DVD-ROM players (one for each of the two regions I'm interested in).

It would seem that Region-free (though expensive at $40) is a better deal than buying an extra DVD-ROM.

I also wonder why MC was being difficult when the other DVD player software weren't.

Scott-

I've got two DVD players (PC only, don't have TV), RC1 and 2. The whole thing started with a DVD that resulted in WinDVD freezing reliably. Realplayer could play it, sort of, sometimes, or at least chapters. Then I had the glorious idea (well, initially it didn't make non-sense) to try another player...

Buying RC1 DVDs is legal here, making them available for rent is not. To me it seems that the raison d'etre for the region codes is a flawed business model. <optimist>Therefore it probably won't survive.</optimist>

Region Free is a good choice, the package with DVDIdle is a waste of $10 since the cache renders the fast forward function useless.

Skeptikus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 10:22:48 am »

NVidia changed thier drivers (post 40.72) to deliver that message if you have some kind of TV out function installed, wether on the video card or a seperate card.  Other media player developers gotten around it somehow.

Let us know what hardware and drivers you are using.

Try this link for a start: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=nvidia+macrovision

44.03, I never had any problems with WinDVD or Real, but now that you mention it Cyberlink's PowerDVD is unusable (e.g. color and other distortions), perhaps after I upgraded the driver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up