INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SQ shift as a result of S/W & H/W resets.  (Read 1693 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
SQ shift as a result of S/W & H/W resets.
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:33:15 am »

I mentioned a while back that I noticed a SQ change after shutting MC down and restarting the app.
I also noticed that a complete H/W restart also had a similar effect.
And that I'd 'study' this a bit more before I'd add any further insights.

That was then…

Now it seems that an internal RAM reset may be a major reason for this qualitative improvement in the SQ.

When I reduce the amount of ram I'm using, by ≈1GB (or more) just to run MC & email & safari etc., the SQ takes a step up.

Now this probably only applies to computers that rarely get turned off in the first place, so if you shut your mac down at night, or on a 'regular' basis, then this probably does not apply.

But, if this applies to you, then try it and see if after a computer reset/full shutdown and start up, if the SQ improves,
or not.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

jayla

• Recent member
Re: SQ shift as a result of S/W & H/W resets.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:04:02 am »

Hi JJ,

I can commit the same experience with my MacMini. And to be honest since I updated to Yosemite it is even more important to regularly reboot the machine. (Just have a look at all the programs that Yosemite is now starting once the OS is coming up. Even more you can see that the internal sandbox applications are growing fast since the introduction of Yosemite - and this takes for sure also influence on the behaviour of the overall applications in terms of the handling of ram)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »

Yeah 10.10 is gunna need MUCH more time to mature before I'll start using it.

But this is happening on 10.9 as well and perhaps even earlier OS's as well.

So I thought I'd 'alert' those users who would be interested, that this is an issue.

JJ  :thumb
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

tony_harman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:56:02 am »

Hi JJ,

This is really interesting, as I'd planned on just leaving my MAC mini on or asleep and never rebooting!

Are you using the MAC to 'drive' the audio, or are you using an external DAC? I see you have your hardware list there, but I'm not familiar with your kit and it's easier just to ask!

I have an external, asynchronous DAC, so I've always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the sound quality could not be affected by any computer activity. So long as it plays at all, quality should be 100% as it will be bit-perfect to the DAC? But if the computer is doing the digital to analogue conversion, I guess what you're saying could happen and it's a good case for buying as much RAM as you can afford!

Cheers,

Antony

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:37 am »

Hi JJ,

This is really interesting, as I'd planned on just leaving my MAC mini on or asleep and never rebooting!

Are you using the MAC to 'drive' the audio, or are you using an external DAC? I see you have your hardware list there, but I'm not familiar with your kit and it's easier just to ask!

Yes my Mac Pro feeds my external DAC directly thru a Wyrd Schiit usb 'decrapifier'.
Say that 10 times fast!   ;D

I have come to think of it as a discombobulator for the usb data path.

I have an external, asynchronous DAC, so I've always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the sound quality could not be affected by any computer activity. So long as it plays at all, quality should be 100% as it will be bit-perfect to the DAC? But if the computer is doing the digital to analogue conversion, I guess what you're saying could happen and it's a good case for buying as much RAM as you can afford!

Cheers,

Antony

The Wyrd usb 'problem solver' device was a significant step up.  
But so were the rest of the steps (better usb cable and cooking the cable etc.)  

And some laptops if used as the music source to the dac can be especially 'noisey' on the +5volts which can 'bleed' into the dac.  The Wyrd can really help in that situation.
Plus it's got a 2 week return window, but the killer deal is it's only $99.

Worth a look see in my experience and opinion.

JJ

tony_harman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:02:48 am »

Great info, thanks! I've been looking at the decrapifier, funnily enough.

My MAC mini is fairly quiet on USB, my Sony laptop is horrendous! I tried an Olimex isolator, but it didn't make much difference and would have needed an additional power supply to work with my DAC, so it went back.

Maybe I'll give the decrapifier a go. . . . . .

Cheers,

Antony

Pages: [1]   Go Up