INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing location of library files (not media files)  (Read 4151 times)

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
Changing location of library files (not media files)
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:28 pm »

I would like to change the location of the folder containing my library files (not my media files) from its present location on my internal drive to another location within the same drive.
How do I do that? Again, this is my library files not the music files which are located on my external drive. I presently have the library files within a folder at the root level of the drive (don't ask how it got there) and would like to move them to the JRiver folder in my documents folder.
Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing location of library files (not media files)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:32:03 am »

Use the Library Manager to clone it to a new location.  Switch to it, and then delete the original.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:17:48 am »

Thanks. Sounds like the perfect solution.

Buckley Palmer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »

When I follow links to location of my JRiver Music Library, I see listed 12000 songs, but 28MB of files? Doesn't make sense to me.

My main library was built using windows media player, and its about 105GB.
I also noticed that new CD's I rip using MC don't go to the same folder as my "big" music folder. I would like to get them all in one place, reformat or reload them to FLAC, and delete the old library. Having a hell of a time figuring how to do that because I don't understand MC's library system. For example, when I clone or backup the library to a new location, it takes about 5 seconds. How is that possible for 105GB? And when I look there I don't see any actual media files. Any enlightenment to this novice would be appreciated.  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »

When I follow links to location of my JRiver Music Library, I see listed 12000 songs, but 28MB of files? Doesn't make sense to me.

In MC, the term Library is the database, not the media files. MC doesn't care where you store the media files, and can import files from a variety of locations.

Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 01:01:01 pm »

This is a common point of confusion; when you read "media library" you're thinking of your files.  When JRiver refers to the "library" it does not mean your media files, it means the database containing the metadata from your files.  You media files are separate.  That's why the "library" is so small, it doesn't have the data in it, just the metadata.

So when JRiver talks about backing up the "library" it doesn't make a backup of your media files (I got caught by that myself once), it just backs up the database.  The issue with CD's not going to the same place is a separate issue, you can specify where you want ripped CD's to land under options, but it's a separate setting from the library location because the library in JRiver is just the database, not the files.  

Changing the ripping settings will fix the file locations going forwards, but if you want to rearrange existing files, look into the Rename, Move, Copy tool in media center: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Edit: whoops, ninja'd

Buckley Palmer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:22 am »

Thanks for the helpful comments. I cannot find the setting for designation of media file location for ripped CD's within MC. Do others use some other utility to load the files from the CD to their media files folder, and then just have MC monitor for new files to add to the MC Library? I'd like to just clean up and delete the other media file software off my PC if I could (Windows Media Player, iTunes).

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:09 am »

Thanks for the helpful comments. I cannot find the setting for designation of media file location for ripped CD's within MC.

Go to Tools > Options > File Location

That description didn't make complete sense to me at first, but it's certainly where MC puts the settings for the place to put newly ripped files from CD.

Do others use some other utility to load the files from the CD to their media files folder, and then just have MC monitor for new files to add to the MC Library?

Yes, that works too.  It's all up to how you want to do it.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up