INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac USB Outputs Always Live?  (Read 1773 times)

rockitdoc

• Junior Woodchuck
Mac USB Outputs Always Live?
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

Are the USB outputs on a Mac Mini always live?  I ask because of the selection window under Apple>System Preferences>Sound>Output.  I have two USB output devices connected and they show up under the 'Type' column: a Peachtree amp and a DAC which feeds another amp.

I ask because I am getting no output from the DAC and am wondering if I need to turn a software switch on somewhere or if my DAC is not working.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac USB Outputs Always Live?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »

in OSX, you can only select one output at a time in system settings.  All system audio will go to the selected device.

Inside MC, you can set up zones and direct the output of that zone to a specific device.

On my system, I am connected to a Denon receiver via SPDIF and I also frequently have my FiiO E17 connected as well.  I have a zone set up for the E17 for when I want to listen using that.  Using the zone also lets me use one set of output settings in MC when playing to the Denon vs the E17 (the bit rates each support differ and I use headphone specific settings for the E17).

MikeBRG

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 03:17:05 pm »

I think there is another Mac tool that may help you. There is a more powerful set of tools in the audio MIDI setup app to be found in your utilities folder. Click on the plus sign at the bottom left and bring up the 'aggregate device' box.

This flexible fellow allows you to combine your USB inputs such as two microphones for simultaneous recording or two USB outputs, such as you are seeking. It may even allow you some tricks on the thunderbolt issue you are looking at on the nearby thread.

The apple support website gives basic instruction on the use of 'aggregate devices'. Once you have set the devices up, they then appear on your sound>output listing. I have only used it for combining inputs when recording but it may well give you a way of achieving a common output.

There may be a penalty as the system might be generating two outputs by multiplexing and you may lose something along the way but its worth a try.

Good hunting.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:38:21 pm »

Looks like in addition to the aggregate item, there is a multi-output device you can add as well.  Only drawback I can see is that you have to choose only one sample rate to send to all devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up