INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie set-up question  (Read 1655 times)

jkrumm

• Recent member
Newbie set-up question
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:05:15 pm »

I'm not new to JRiver (used to use it a with my old iRiver device) but I'm much more new to the world of DAC's. I like to see what I'm playing near the stereo, and my old Logitech slim device, while pretty good, just gives me a line of text. Is there anything sub-par about finding a cheapish, small laptop, putting all my music on it, give it a home by the stereo, and run the files to a decent usb DAC? I don't care about setting up multiple zones for now.

Thanks,

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie set-up question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

That would work. 

Another nice choice is to use Gizmo or JRemote on a tablet as your remote control.  The wiki has a topic on "Remotes", with links to other pages.

jkrumm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:05:25 am »

Thanks, just downloaded JRemote and it's a pleasure to use. So I think I see how this could work, network streaming wise.

jkrumm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:45:39 am »

And one more thing, I've been looking at the Id, but one advantage to just using a laptop/DAC setup is I have access to things like Rhapsody (from the laptop keyboard, say), and I can still control JRiver with my JRemote. But I do really like the very low power consumption of the Id.
Pages: [1]   Go Up