INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question about PEQ settings...  (Read 2418 times)

Velocitydreamer

Quick question about PEQ settings...
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:16:27 pm »

So I have a 5.1ch system, just added the sub... by the way, I knew Sunfire subs were tiny, but JESUS this thing is 9.75" Cubed and is dwarfed by my RTi12's lol, and is a lil monster (no SVS, but still!).  Anyways, I enjoy listening to music in Extended Stereo (yes, I know, hate me whatever), so I decided to create that mode via the PEQ since I hadn't seen any option for it.  I copied the L to SL, R to SR, and moved center to center (stupid and unecessary?), and now the sub... I Copied Right to Sub, and then Low Pass'd it at 40hz.  If I understand this correctly, it'll copy my front right channel (which has full range???) and send it to my sub, and then filter out everything above 40hz?  THAT is my main question, real quick, I also told JRiver not to do any mixing, and no dolby (I don't have a DAC, just straight from the sound outs to the amp)... is this ok?  Considering I want extended stereo, I figured the mixing would mess something up?  I DO watch movies, and would LIKE to have 5.1 proper for movies, so I take it I have to switch back to mixing and turn off the PEQ when I want to watch a movie for those results??  Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated, and I guess its' not really a quick question like I thought... heh, thanks guys/gals!!!  I'm holding off playing audio to make sure I don't mess up my sub, so quick answers are also appreciated :)

Velocitydreamer

Re: Quick question about PEQ settings...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

Seems to work? ... yeah couldn't wait, I love my music too much lol.  But still, is this way a proper way to do a sub channel for extended stereo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »

For switching between audio and video, take a look at ZoneSwitch, on the wiki.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »

Seems to work? ... yeah couldn't wait, I love my music too much lol.  But still, is this way a proper way to do a sub channel for extended stereo?

I'm a little confused about your method; if you only copy the right speaker to the sub, you're not getting half of the bass content (the left).  I would suggest adding the Left to teh Sub channel after copying the right, and then applying the lowpass.

Are your fronts full range?  If so, you may not need the sub in this application (i.e. you may be effectively just "turning up the bass" by running a sub)

Velocitydreamer

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »

For switching between audio and video, take a look at ZoneSwitch, on the wiki.

If I'm wanting 5.1 for movies, setup one way... and then 5.1 for music setup another way, would ZoneSwitch do it?  It almost sounds like it's splitting outputs of my soundcard... and my crappy soundcard (one of the things I'm going to upgrade) only has 6ch.  I'll look more into it, as there's a good chance I'm misunderstanding you.  Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58:21 pm »

If I'm wanting 5.1 for movies, setup one way... and then 5.1 for music setup another way, would ZoneSwitch do it?  It almost sounds like it's splitting outputs of my soundcard... and my crappy soundcard (one of the things I'm going to upgrade) only has 6ch.  I'll look more into it, as there's a good chance I'm misunderstanding you.  Thanks!

Zoneswitch allows you to configure different settings for the same soundcard and automatically switch between them based on what type of content you're playing.  Check out the wiki for more info.

Velocitydreamer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:51 pm »

How do I set up the center in PEQ when doing extended stereo?
Pages: [1]   Go Up