INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMPORTING METADATA TAGS FROM DBPOWERAMP  (Read 3107 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
IMPORTING METADATA TAGS FROM DBPOWERAMP
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »

What is the easiest way to import the same tags into MC 20 that I used when ripping my CDs with dBpoweramp? Can I copy and paste into the tags section of Auto Import setup? My collection is 80% classical so I need things like: Orchestra, Conductor, Choir, Soloist, etc.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IMPORTING METADATA TAGS FROM DBPOWERAMP
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:34:11 am »

first off, you can't map tags into JRiver at all if you post all caps in the subject line of your posts  ;D ;D

Nan seriously for those fields there is no issue, it should be seamless (both use Vobis comment tags for FLAC) provided you have not created custom fields, but they should be remappable within reason (choir for example might need a special field; better to use the standard soloist field instead of performer etc.). Soloists, Conductor, Orchestra etc are standard tags that may look different in the tagging window but are not ... example : TRACK will lok like Name and ALBUMARTIST will look like [Album Artist] in the tag window of JRiver ... maybe this link would be helpful to you? http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping#Mapping_Tables

Fields like OPUS dbpoweramp doesn't download any way, so if you want to tag that (I create a custom field [Work]; its better to set up a new field in my opinion; tag it in JRiver setting the option to write to the tag in the file itself. If you use custom tags in dbpoweramp, just make sure they exist in JRiver first (or create them in options). No need to paste anything.

Generally what I would recommend (at least at first) is to choose the metadata you want that is provided for via dbpoweramp; then retag in JRiver rather than adding in information in dbpoweramp before.

So to answer your question I would set up profiles in dbpoweramp one for classical and one for everything else. I can paste mine if you want. You could copy/paste it and modify it from there. Set-up your autoimport config to include the paths that correspond to your ripping "masks" -- I "sandbox" and dump it into a temporary path, but depends on your workflow of course. Then set-up a tagging view to retag if necessary that includes the fields you want to maybe modify or at least double check.

Don't forget that depending on how you use the tagging window in MC, you might not see the tag fields. Click on the little icon at the top left of the tag window to show more.

PS - Oh one thing I wish I new a long time ago ... in the metadata configuration for dbpoweramp, click them all ... you might need to use composersort, artistsort etc later ... its possible to semi-automatically populate these fields, but its a lot simpler to have the xtra metadata even if you do not use it. The space taken up is so small and if you become a "geek" about tagging later you might appreciate having it there. :)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:42:07 am »

Thank you Arindelle! First off, I used all caps because given how crappy the zoom function is on the trackpad of my laptop and given the quality of my vision at computer screen distance, it's easier for me to read. I knew I might get razzed so it was sort of a test to see what the response would be. I am a newbie to forums, but I seem to remember that all caps is interpreted as yelling.

That's a lot of good info. :D I will dig into it on Monday because because I will be gardening tomorrow. I will respond in more detail Monday or later.  I am also a newbie to dBpoweramp and MC, having previously only used the all-in-one Olive 04HD, so I am on a steep learning curve with much to absorb and understand.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:00:53 am »

Thanks again Arindelle. The hydrogenaudio link was very helpful. I am now comparing the tag lists in MC and dBpoweramp to make sure they match. If I add custom ones, I am adding them in both places and will write to the tag in MC as needed. I had earlier checked every relevant tag in dB and just now looked at the list again and found that dB had Chorus, so there is no need for Choir. I added Instrument Sort to dB, which already had some other sorts. I didn't see any type of sort listed in MC's tag list in Manage Library Fields and all I see in JRemote is Album, Artist, Genre and Composer. If I copy the various additional sort tags from dB to MC, is there any chance it will be able to sort by these tags?

Please do post your profiles, thank you.

Re seeing the tag fields in MC, I chose "Show only audio fields." in the Manage Library Fields window. I am only using MC for music & spoken word, not video or photos. I also tried clicking on the icon in the Tag window when playing a file. It's great to see all that info at the click of a button. Thanks! Going a bit on a tangent, in dB, in the Meta Data & ID Tag Option window, there is a check box for Pre-Emphasis. I assume this is just to recognize the flag in a file you are ripping so that when it is played, MC will apply de-emphasis (as opposed to actually adding pre-emphasis when ripping the file). Do you know if that is the case?
Pages: [1]   Go Up