INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audiophile but amateur audiophile pro in the making  (Read 2690 times)

stevel

• Recent member
audiophile but amateur audiophile pro in the making
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:15:11 pm »

I am an audiophile but a amateur with computer audio. I just added to my already reference equipment new computer audio components. For the time being I went with a PS AUDIO direct stream dac.  I just purchased a new mac book pro retina 2015 16MB ram 3.1. top of the line macbook with 2 external thunderbolt 3TB gdrives etc. I have 1 drive filled with just for Native DSD and analog converted music from audiophile turntable and the 2nd with everything non DSD etc 
As much I read i cant grasp how to set this up with both libraries at the same time if possible or even 1 library combined but i have no idea the BEST WAY to do this. I AM A COMPLETE MORON I FEEL. But at the same time I dont want to screw up my current settings.
Additonally, my Ref MUSIC has many titles that are UNASSIGNED. After reading online I am even more confused on how to fix this. Many of these titles lack a album title but that info shows in the full description.
Please help. It would be greatfully appreciated!

thank you S

Pleas remember if you can help be detailed! Thx

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
Re: audiophile but amateur audiophile pro in the making
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

Hello Steve,

Please try File > Library > Import... > Configure Auto-Import > ADD...
and then, add the external hard drive there, and finish it.
JRiver MC will import the file information to its main library, and if you add files into the external hard drive, JRiver MC will automatically add those files into the library as well.
The music will show up under "Audio" tab on the left pane.

Also, you can make two different libraries by using Playing Now (on the left pane) > Playing from Main Library > Add Library to have separate libraries for both hard drives.

You can make a lot of creative playlists using Smartlists, so for myself, I like to keep all of them in my main library and try to have a good metadata system to play music smoothly. :)

As for the album titles, you can add them to the metadata tags of the files (or to the library database for dff files) by selecting those files and using alt(Option) + Enter to edit the tags. Also, JRiver MC has a robust set of Library tools under the Tools menu. It may become a lot of work depending on the quantity of the files, but it's worth to have a good metadata system. :)

Good luck! :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

stevel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:43 am »

Hi Y.G.:

Thank you for your reply.

Here's where I am at currently. I was able to successfully upload 1 thunderbolt drive. The 2nd external thunderbolt drive seems to be the problem.

I am trying to add an additional library and once I try I am getting an error once I select the drive and the target to upload. (not home now to provide what the exact error said)

So are you saying that its better to keep 1 library and just organize that way instead. If so, can you perhaps understand why the software is having a problem. 

I respond later again with what the problem is...  But it was relating to not accepting the target once I selected the 2nd drive....

Also, if I have one library are they both able to be accessed simultaneously or will there be a delay for 2 hard drives.  Would this possibly corrupt the data. Also, if 2 libraries is there any advantage.

Sorry just rambling my thoughts....

Tx

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:45 am »

Hello Steve,

It's probably because you will need an empty folder to add a library. You can make an empty folder and try importing the drive. It will probably work. The files actually don't move into the folder by the way, which I find fascinating and beneficial.  ;)

Also even if you have two drives in one library, I don't believe there will be a noticeable delay. The main library database will be stored in your system drive, pointing where the music files are located, and it won't temper the files unless you are willing to, so just having one library won't corrupt the data.

Good luck! :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

P.S. Just out of a curiosity, how have you amassed such a vast collection of music?  :D

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:35:55 am »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

First I do not have a MAC available so, MAC users can fill in the blanks.
Hi Y.G.:

Thank you for your reply.

Here's where I am at currently. I was able to successfully upload 1 thunderbolt drive. The 2nd external thunderbolt drive seems to be the problem.

I am trying to add an additional library and once I try I am getting an error once I select the drive and the target to upload. (not home now to provide what the exact error said)

I respond later again with what the problem is...  But it was relating to not accepting the target once I selected the 2nd drive....
Not sure what the error you are referring to, but two things to note I think:

1) when you configure media import you are basically telling it the where and what to import. You can also refine this but hitting the edit button on each "path". If you are setting up one library for each drive. The paths of course will be different for each, as each library must be configured separately. You can only load 1 library at a time. This is probably where your error is coming from -- not sure but seems logical.

2) you say you have a lot of other files. FLAC and ALAC containers have the most latitude for PCM tagging and library management for lossless formats. Some formats like if I remember correctly like SACD audio ripped Blu ray audio maybe (soory I forget) are actually in an ISO format, which JRiver considers as a data file. So check either the way YG suggested or through Options=>Library & Folders=>configure auto import that data and audio as well as all the file formats you want to import are selected.

So are you saying that its better to keep 1 library and just organize that way instead. If so, can you perhaps understand why the software is having a problem.
Yes -- at least for 98% of the time and 90% of users (guessing here of course what do I know right :D). I have two libraries - one principal one shared to all my clients and one only for mp3s for portable devices. Everything else, regardless of media type or file format resides in the principal library. Otherwise any time you want to listen to music contained only in the second library, you have to load it and then reload the other or something to that effect.  Now there might be a good reason to have a separate Video library if for example you have all your video files physically in a dedicated home theater room. And the other library could be just audio in another room. But here this depends on the system and how you set it up; generally you have 1 media server machine assocaited to a library. (ok the gallery I know there are exceptions^^)

Also, if I have one library are they both able to be accessed simultaneously or will there be a delay for 2 hard drives.  Would this possibly corrupt the data. Also, if 2 libraries is there any advantage.
Simple answers : Yes, No, No.  Long answer I'll skip the detail but in my understanding (caveat - could be slightly different for MACs than PCs). If both drives are spun up, sure there will be some delay, but there should be no perceivable delay (depending on hardware and maybe switching from formats like DSD to PCM) as this is going into RAM before playback. Should the drives go to sleep etc; sure but just config yourt machine to wake them up or keep them awake. Can be issues with external USB drives. e-sata; firewire, or other connections might be more reliable, but gobs of people use USB drives. If your source data is corrupt, the playback will have issues. The software doesn't corrupt anything. As for two libraries for playback purposes -- not in my book without further details on your system

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 08:45:03 am »

oh forgot this one

Additonally, my Ref MUSIC has many titles that are UNASSIGNED.
YG already answered this. But this has come up 3 times tin the last two days on the forum so if it is not clear to you. When you open the tag window look for (or allow it to show by clicking the liitle option icone thingy) ALBUM ARTIST -- they are probably blank. Fill them in with the artist name or use Various or Multiple Artists if it is a compilation (be conststant  for this). This should group the "UnAssigneds" together.

stevel

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:51 am »

I would first like to thank both of you for the very informative comments. Success on merging both thunderbolt hard drives and keeping the one library which is very cool. I notice switching tracks from thunderbolt drives when once is sleeping is roughly 15-20 seconds or less. Not too bad.

Next once again.. (sorry to be repetitive from yesterday) is to still figure out how get all of these unassigned files without the "album name" that do have the album name in the full description. There are thousands of songs that are like this. Probably 5000-6000.

Again let me remind. I am a "amateur". Is there a quicker process to organize these file properly.

Also, I am so "paranoid" about overwriting the data on the hard drive when and if I try to experiment.

One more thing. What are the proper settings for pure audio from the dac. No enhancements.

Lastly, what about the check box that would let the file or song download to ram (current ram is 16GB) is there an benefit. (I haven't seen any internet settings that suggest this)

Please help!

Thank you,
S

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:04:44 am »

Hi

Sorry do not have the time to answer all of your questions in detail. But I always get scared when I hear things like this
Also, I am so "paranoid" about overwriting the data on the hard drive when and if I try to experiment.

Of course you have your media backed-up regularly.  AND you manually backup up your MC Library after every major tagging sessions right??
I have a medium size library of approx 6500 cds. I have a local backup and an archive backup that I keep hidden. On each backup I have a backup of the MC library which is small and takes seconds to save to disk. The costs of 12 tb of harddrives is nothing compared to retagging my music! Anyways Steve, this is not directed necessarily to you, but I have a friend who uses external hard USB drives -- VERY large collection 16 terrabytes of cds - and he doesn't have any backups because he says it is a PITA backing up external drives ... euh drives WILL fail, or get stolen -- and guess what? thats what happened to him  -- power Mac and his external drives stolen

Of course when you experiment you shouldn't change 1000's of files in one go - try a couple of albums, if this messes things up CTRL+z will let you undo it. Some fields write to files some don't. Backing up your library files is the easiest thing to do and restoring it after a big error takes less than a minute for under 4tbs most of the time. JRiver will do this automatically for you, but not necessarily when you want it to. File=>Library=>Backup is your friend :) Most of the fields will or can be written to disk if they are just data fields. Check options to see if interested.

So if not done already, I'd heartily recommend
1) have a backup work flow
2) have a simple but clean filepath organization on your HDs. Most of the time this would be something like x:\Music\Album Artist\Album\+tracks and artwork  with a compilation and/or soundtrack  subfolder, and maybe a dedicated Classical sub-folder if they are ripped by composer, (splitting drives you might need a x:\Music A-M and a Y:\Music N-Z or something like that.
3) choose what you want to call multiple album artists (eg. Various Artists, Multiple, whatever just be consistent) so you might have something like x:\Various Artists\Album\tracks. It really is not necessary to split out content by bit rate btw. People do, but personally if I have a Miles Davis album in normal FLAC 16bits and another album of his in a HR version, they are both in the Miles Davis folder (different Album folders though). OK can be a little more complex its subjective except for long path names which could come back to haunt you. So generally, do not split up albums (for multiple or box set cds I have one Album folder, but underneath I have \CD1 \CD2 etc.)

when that is done like you want it, if it wasn't already of course. You can simply select your 5000 tracks and type in the [Album Artist] field in the tag window, one time for all, "Various Artists" (or Multiple) for compilations -- normally easy to find because the are empty and show as unassigned. This will sort your problem out in one go. (Again try a few FIRST before - making sure that they are indeed compilation type albums).

However, in the case where they are not compilation albums, which can happen with bad/inconsistent tags imported from the web, there is another way of bulk tagging these. (I'll get back to you if needed on this, but its usually better to do this one manually imho) Lastly there is an aesthetic choice of grouping multiple cd albums under one Cover (eg Albumx cd1 Albumx cd2 etc, will show as separate albums). In this case you just need to select the tracks and use one Album name for all.

Just in case you are not aware, metadata which is embedded in the file is dependant on the file "container". FLAC is the best for this. WAV files can't store as much. Some formats can't store anything and need sidecar files. Regardless, you are not messing your audio up, this does not affect SQ at all. If you embed very large image files into your files they will get bigger, but the audio will not be affected. You could mess up a lot of very good tags that you spent tons of time on though ... why backups can save you.

sorry out of time. Not meant to be a sermon, but its surprising that some people will spend 300 bucks on an interconnect but won't spend 100$ backing up their source media. :)

If no one else chimes in, I'll get back to your other questions a bit later oki?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:41:24 am »

Next once again.. (sorry to be repetitive from yesterday) is to still figure out how get all of these unassigned files without the "album name" that do have the album name in the full description. There are thousands of songs that are like this. Probably 5000-6000.

If by "description", you mean the file name, then you can probably extract that information pretty easily.  Select a few files and the go to Tools -> Library Tools -> Fill Fileds From Filename .  Use the template there to set up how your files are named and it should populate the various album, artist, etc fields for you.

If you really mean some metadata field called "full description" this is probably possible too, but will be more work and I don't know the exact solution.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:45:23 am »

:-[ :-[ oops I thinked I messed up .... its the album name thats unassigned .. ah sorry long posts for nothing embarassed :D

You should have it in the file name and Blgentry is spot on in only 3 lines ... I'm going to go hide somewhere  ;D

stevel

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »

Hahhhhh thanks Arindelle.Thank you Brian.
I want to try to be more descriptive if I can. For example. In the "unassigned" folder if I hover over the track with the mouse it says "<unknown album>"  but the full information is actually below that writen out. it looks like to me that perhaps the form itself is what metadata doesn't like.

If I go into tools > library tools > fill properties from filename
Selections are either automatic or template
Not sure what to do next.

But is the only path to get the description correctly so that metadata picks up exactly like the correct files are organized? Or is there a better way.

Sorry I know I sound very stupid but this is so crucial to have a perfect library to enjoy!

Tx S

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »

Hello Steve,

I know it can be a lot of reading, but this link may help you out: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531771#msg531771

It deals with how to fill properties from filename. If you have any questions afterward, please feel free to let us know. :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:09 am »

Hello Steve,

I know it can be a lot of reading, but this link may help you out: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531771#msg531771

It deals with how to fill properties from filename. If you have any questions afterward, please feel free to let us know. :)

Best regards,
Y. G.
+1 gg Glynor
Pages: [1]   Go Up