INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost all audio to hi fi since upgrade to MC20  (Read 3709 times)

Smoulders

• Recent member
Lost all audio to hi fi since upgrade to MC20
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:06 am »

Hello

I upgraded to MC20 from MC19 yesterday. Initially all was well but I think I have altered something in the settings and now
have lost all audio to my hi fi.

My DAC ( Chord Qute HD ) remains idle and the only audio I'm getting is through my laptop speakers.

I honestly have no idea what I've done so thought I'd ask for some help to resolve this.

I would also appear to have 'lost' any mention of my DAC in MC audio settings and it was there earlier.
If I right click the speaker icon in system tray the only item listed in Playback Devices is 'Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device'. Same if I click 'Volume Control Options'.

I'm certain this is something I have done but unfortunately everything I've tried thus far has failed miserably and the rage is rising.

Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lost all audio to hi fi since upgrade to MC20
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:23 am »

why not try a library restore first. Much easier than trying to figure out what might have happened

Did you already uninstall 19? Did you uninstall version 19 before you uninstalled version 20?

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:22:00 am »

Reinstall you Chord DAC software, restart your computer and try again.
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/files/chordwin7.zip
Also check power to your DAC and USB cable.
Plug it into a black coloured USB port on your laptop (in case you have blue ones too)
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

Hello Arindelle and ken tajalli,

Thanks for your replies.

Arindelle, I did not uninstall MC19. How does one go about a Library restore?
ken tajalli, Thanks, I will try your suggestions.

Thanks again and I will post in due course with results.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

Hello again,

Ok I restored library and reinstalled the DAC drivers but neither have solved the issue.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:09:06 am »

ok what I would do then would be:

1) verify that the restore you used was the last one prior to the new install (maybe you used the lastone which would have been automatically made,) in otherwords the last version 19 backup. Assuming you checked the settings option box.

2) if you already did number one,  Make sure that version 19 works!! It should. then I would uninstall version 20.
This should auto port your settings with one exception it will install the WDM driver which will ask for permission to do so, so stick around and watch your screen; Your 19 config should port over automatically. It should work.

3) If not, check your Windows sound settings, these might have been changed, but the restore would not affect these. Put them back how they were.  Actually you could do this first, maybe its set on the WDM driver which has now been removed ;)

If this still does not work and you have have reinstalled the chord stuff, I can only guess that there is a driver conflict or registry issue. But hopefully this is not the case otherwise version 19 would not work right anymore either.

Fingers crossed, hope this works,

otherwise is reconfigure time from the ground up unless someone else has a faster way.

PS if it does work, don't get rid of version 19 for a week or so. I wouldn't mess with setting up any new zones, dsps etc until you are sure everything is ok.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:22 am »

Make sure your volume isn't muted somewhere.  Look at the Windows mixer.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:15 am »

If I right click the speaker icon in system tray the only item listed in Playback Devices is 'Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device'. Same if I click 'Volume Control Options'.

If this is true, this has nothing to do with JRiver
Windows simply don't see the DAC as an audio device hence JRiver won't see it either

Try to isolate the problem
- other USB cable
- input selection on the DAC
- other computer
- try optical if possible
- drivers
etc.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:35:11 am »

Ok, so I have temporarily uninstalled MC20 and opened MC19 again..... same problem.
Nothing is muted as far as I can see.
I've tried another usb.... to no avail.

Must admit I'm defeated but I can't help but think this is something embarrissingly simple and I am missing it  along the line.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:02 am »

Check the cable connections.

Power everything off and back on.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:26 am »

well at least you know its not in JRiver .. so its probably in Windows or your hardware. Did u check what Vincent suggested?

I'd look on the Chord forum or PM someone with a Chord here after following a forum search?

In the mean time use The realtek out from Windows and WASAPI in the device setting in JRiver. SHould work if nothing is muted in the mean time. Or don't use USB as a check. Have you looked at your device manager to see if there are any yellow warnings around the USB bus?

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:59 am »

Everything seems good to go within Windows settings.
Yes I tried Vincent's suggestions ( Thank you Vincent ).
I have considered completely uninstalling MC and reinstalling in an attempt to erase whatever I have cocked up!
Would this be worth a try?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:48 am »

In Control Panel > Sounds, can you get sound output?

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:51:00 am »

Yes I'm getting any track I try toplay via laptop speakers.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:16 am »

But not when played to the Chord?

If so, work on that first.  It doesn't involve MC and MC won't work unless it works from Control Panel.

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 10:58:39 am »

In Control Panel > Sounds, can you get sound output?
+1 but can you get sound output to your DAC?

I'd hold off nuking MC for a moment. Sounds like its windows related, dac usb driver, or something else. Try getting a sound out of your DAC from windows media player or something else without JRiver running or the server program running Can you see the output choices in Windows you used to see??

PS -- hey just totally stupid but did you check if on windows boot that you have not set the media server ot launch automatically. With 19 still on your machine it could be launching -- this I always forget and can give real problems if a version 19 version is running when 20 has been installed. Make sure this is turned off from within 19 and reboot jus tot be sure. Might be off the wall of course but hey  ;)

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:59:41 am »

oops sorry Jim. posted at the same time as you.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 11:07:36 am »

JimH - I'll work on the DAC and see what transpires. Reckon you're right and MC is not the problem ( maybe! ).

Arindelle - The DAC is on but not 'picking up' instruction from my laptop ( excuse the lack of tech talk but I'm not overly tech minded - as you can probably tell! ). It's sitting idle. I'll check on reboot to see if media server launches automatically.

Oh the shame.....  :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:00 am »

I'm not saying that it is the DAC.  I'm only saying that it must work from Control Panel first, and then you can try it in MC.

I'm still not sure whether it does work from Control Panel.  Could you tell us what you found?

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »

Hi JimH

Sorry for the delay there.
What is it that I should be looking at? Not too sure where to look.

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:34:09 pm »

Ok. In Windows Control Panel - Devices - The Chord Async USB has appeared at the bottom in unspecified and there is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Edit. Troubleshoot showed that the driver is uninstalled and when I tried to install again it failed to do so.

Arindelle

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 12:58:49 pm »

Ok. In Windows Control Panel - Devices - The Chord Async USB has appeared at the bottom in unspecified and there is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Edit. Troubleshoot showed that the driver is uninstalled and when I tried to install again it failed to do so.
well thats the problem. Finally, good.

If you can't sort it, I'd manually uninstall the driver before trying to reinstal it again

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »

Well that's the driver installed and...... no joy!
Still nothing from hifi speakers.

Gentlemen... I'm stepping back from this for tonight. In my defence I'm fighting a chest infection and have far from a clear head just now.
I'll get back on it tomorrow morning.

Many thanks to those that have tried to help me fix this and don't be surprised if I'm back chasing my tail tomorrow.

Thanks again  ?

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »

I would try the DAC on another computer to see if it works, who knows, it may have developed a problem.
If the DAC works ok then:
- Did the DAC ever work on this laptop before? if yes, restore your PC to that date.
- If it is a laptop, and your DAC draws power from USB port (it may or may not) - then try the shortest or thickest USB cable you have, sometimes in particular laptops, have a limited power on USB - a short or fat cable helps.
- This issue is purely a sound card problem, not connected to JRiver.
- on device manager locate your DAC, high lite it and press delete, a window opens up asking you to confirm, look closely! there is place to insert a tick to also delete the driver, tick it and uninstall.
Disconnect the DAC and reconnect it again (preferably with a recommended USB cable), and wait until windows pick it up as a device.
run the driver software, and keep your fingers crossed!
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

Smoulders

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 01:57:44 pm »

Got it sorted. DAC driver problem, now corrected.

Many thanks to those of you that tried to help me out.

* Apologies for incorrectly thinking it was this magnificent software!
Pages: [1]   Go Up