INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync problems  (Read 2127 times)

rlmartindale

• Recent member
Sync problems
« on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »

I'm giving this program a try and am fine with it as a standalone server but having lots of issues with syncing.

One PC synced up everything but one video file, but didn't get all the music cover art.

Another PC won't sync anything.

My Mac synced 4 (of 50 albums)

Everything is on a wired ethernet network running either Win7, 8 or Lion.

Any tips?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Major sync isssues....results all over the place
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:01:09 am »

the autosync feature between clients and the server PC is dependant on ... well lets just say it doesn't happen immediately and could take a long time through a NAS.  Especially if you have retagged a bunch of files from a client and then turn that client off, your tagging could even be "replaced" by a prior server version.

So my tip would be: Get in the habit of doing a manual sync File=>Library=>Manual Sync ...

If I do long tagging sessions, I even turn off the autosync in the client options, manually re-sync at the end of my session, then recheck the autosync option.

rlmartindale

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:40 pm »

I've been manually syncing all along.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:55:42 pm »

I've been manually syncing all along.

you should not have any problems then. We are talking about 1 PC set as the server running the media server program all the time, and all clients are not running media server concurrently  (ie they are just clients). Physical media files on PC server. Right?

Also you are talking about syncing the library (not actual files) ... but as for the cover art try rebuilding the thumbnails, on the client. I believe coverart is handled differently.

Not sure about Mac syncing, though. Sorry. Could be some issues to bring up in the MAC forum. Not sure how some views would sync to mac from a window server as all functions I think are not yet available Not sure about this but guessing that you can sync to the MAc from the PC, but not the other way around

rlmartindale

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »

Is there another client software other than media center?  Or are you referring to the way MC is configured on the clients?  I think its the latter, which means "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" is not checked, is that right?  If so, that's how the clients are set.  Am I missing something?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:00:40 pm »

I'm not certain what you mean by sync.  It might help if you would explain what you are doing and what you expect.

Keeping a client and the server in sync together requires setting Media Network on at the server and also using "authentication" there, so that each client requires a login.

rlmartindale

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:41 pm »

OK....maybe I'm getting it.  I have to "Add Library" and then sync?  That seems to be working fine.  I guess i might have missed the add library step.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:23:17 pm »

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish, rather than how you think it should be accomplished?

The Sync Library function in the Library Manager is a fairly esoteric function, designed only for certain use-cases.  It is generally not designed for a situation where all PCs are on the same LAN.  It is targeted more at syncing a Library over to a laptop that might be used offline and away from home.

MC's Media Network system is designed for most other situations.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rlmartindale

• Recent member
Re: Sync problems
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:55 am »

What I'm trying to do is have one central PC with all the media on it and have client PCs that do the playback.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:27:06 am »

What I'm trying to do is have one central PC with all the media on it and have client PCs that do the playback.

so you are not talking about syncing tags made on clients to the server?  What is not (or maybe when) syncing ??  The media itself? So you can't choose it for playback?

Basic idea is that you have your LAN set-up already, and the drives with the media are shared, right?

The PC acting as the server has to be running at least the media server (can be loaded automatically on boot); set-up in Network Options use media network, right?

The client PCs do not have the Media Server checked in options, right? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

On the client(s) you have loaded the PC server's library, right ? (not the one marked Main as this is always a local library and exists on for install).

Each client after the intial loading of the remote library should remember it and try to connect. Any newly added media will show up after "awhile" or on a reload, provided that the server PC is not off or asleep. You can force this by a manual sync ....

The Sync Library function in the Library Manager is a fairly esoteric function, designed only for certain use-cases.  It is generally not designed for a situation where all PCs are on the same LAN.  It is targeted more at syncing a Library over to a laptop that might be used offline and away from home.

MC's Media Network system is designed for most other situations.
hmm this might not be needed for the OP, so O.T.
@Glynor is it really that esoteric? been using this for years when I do extensive tagging and wantt to ensure a realtime sync ... the autosync syncs tags ervy so often but not immediately .. been doing this for years, is there a better way?

rlmartindale

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »

I think I got it.....just like you described.  its the adding library moment that did it.  Thank you.

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:03:36 am »

I think I got it.....just like you described.  its the adding library moment that did it.  Thank you.
that great, thanks for getting back :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up