INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotkey for Clear Playing Now [Solved]  (Read 3421 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Hotkey for Clear Playing Now [Solved]
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:47:51 pm »

This has been on my wishlist for quite some time now. Can we please get a hot-key combo to clear the current Playing Now? It's three clicks, and scrolling through a second level menu to get to it the way it is now. Click Player -> scroll -> click Playing Now -> scroll ->click Clear Playing Now. That's five action steps. Even more if you want to go back to where you were in the first place, i.e. smartlists.

I would be most grateful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hotkey for Clear Playing Now
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:57:06 pm »

Right click on Playing Now...

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

Right click on Playing Now...

Right clicking Playing Now in the tree brings up the Zones menu it doesn't clear Playing Now.

Assume I'm sitting in a smartlist. I have to:
1) select (click) Playing Now to open it up,
2) then right click,
3) then scroll,
4) then click Clear Playing Now.
5) Migrate my way back thru and to the smartlist I had open.

I guess I wasn't clear what I wanted to do. I need to be able to clear Playing Now (with a hot key combo) from wherever I am in MC - without migrating away from where I am. Just like Command+O pops up the options dialog box, and like command+P starts/stops the player, etc - no matter where you are in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 05:22:12 pm »

Ctrl-A, Delete?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »

Do the Global User Defined Keys work in Media Center for Mac?  Read the wiki about them here.

There's definitely an MCC command to clear playing now so it shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think.  As long as the functionality is supported.

Brian.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »

Jim, please re-read my post. If I were in a smartlist and did "Ctrl-A, Delete" that would delete the actual files themselves. I guess that would be one (disastrous) way of clearing the Playing Now list.  :o

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:56 pm »

If you're in Playing Now, you can delete the tracks with the delete key.  Try it carefully.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »

I don't know how much clearer I can be - I want to be able to clear the Playing Now without having to be in the Playing Now screen . From my previous post:

"... I need to be able to clear Playing Now (with a hot key combo) from wherever I am in MC - without migrating away from where I am. Just like Command+O pops up the options dialog box, and like command+P starts/stops the player, etc - no matter where you are in MC.

For example I could be sitting in a Smartlist and decide I want to clear all currently playing tracks. I'd have to migrate to Playing Now, go through the 3-5 movements to clear the list, then go back to the smartlists. Since MC doesn't retain where I was in Smartlists I have to scroll through all the lists again to find  the one I was working on. Conversely, if I wanted to change any of MC's options, all I have to do is hit Command+O and the options dialog pops up, I do what I want and when I'm done I'm right back in the Smartlist I was working on. I just want to hit a key combo to clear the list without migrating away from anywhere I am in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »

How about just playing something?  That will replace playing now if you have the settings to do it.   Tools > Options > General > Behavior.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »

It is currently set to "Play Visible Files" not "Playing Now." Double-click is set to: Replace Playing Now (All)".

Another poster "blgentry" above suggested using Global User Defined Keys (which would solve the problem) and asked if that feature was implemented in the Mac version. Is it?

Thanks in advance.

(If anyone reading this post knows of a 3rd party product or a Mac setting to do what I want, please share!)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 07:18:36 am »

Thanks.  If you haven't done so, take a look at the MCWS part of the DevZone.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:15:36 am »

I tried altering the Data/Default Resources/Resource.xml file by adding one line at the bottom to make a shortcut for clearing playing now.  Tried with Alt C and with Clrl;Shift C , independently.  Neither worked.

Then I made a new file inside the "Show Contents" of the app at:
Contents/Resources/Data/Custom Resources/Resource.xml

I pasted in the example file from the link above with the ctrl 1, ctrl 2, etc that are supposed to act as player transport keys.  Stopped and started Media Center (as in my above testing).  Didn't work.  Verified that other keyboard short cuts worked by using <space> to play and pause.

Maybe all of the special keys (control, atl/option, command) aren't mapped on the Mac the same way?

Or is maybe that custom resources directory not in the right place?  I've had this same issue trying to make a Custom Resources directory for skins and I never got an answer of where it's really supposed to be.  Maybe the guys are working on an external location for it as has been suggested?

Thanks,

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 11:41:50 am »

Can we please get a hot-key combo to clear the current Playing Now? It's three clicks, and scrolling through a second level menu to get to it the way it is now. Click Player -> scroll -> click Playing Now -> scroll ->click Clear Playing Now. That's five action steps.

until the issue gets properly addressed here's what i do:

open the Resource.xml file (i use the free TextWrangler app).
scroll down to <!-- General shortcuts --> and add this line:

<Entry Key="Alt;Ctrl;P" Command="25014" Param="0" />

save & close.

your keyboard shortcut for clearing Playing Now is
option+command+p

to get to the resource file:

control+click MC app/Contents/Resources/Data/Default Resources/Resource.xml

The downside of adding your own modifications is that as of now MC will always overwrite
all resource modifications when a new version gets installed (which is the reason for my request http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?PHPSESSID=5uue754amqs00kn0uuk5pos8q2&topic=96136.0)

I just re-do the above ea time the app gets updated. I know what you’re thinking and i agree: it’s a royal pain in the butt.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »

Well thank you very much bMinor!  I was trying pretty much the exact same thing, except a different key combo.  I had figured out MCC 25014 from reading the docs.  But I had the syntax subtly wrong.  I think I had a double quote missing.  Once I tried, and then modified, yours, it all worked great!

Also thank you for clarifying that in this file, "Ctrl" actually refers to the Command key, as opposed to the one that says "control" on it.  :)

Awesome!

Brian.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 03:01:45 pm »

bMinor & blgentry - you guys rock! It worked perfectly. This is exactly what I was looking for!

I don't mind having to re-edit the Resource file until the "overwrite upon re-install" is addressed. Nothing a little bash script (which I could run each time MC is updated) can't fix. Just have to find a sed script guru to write it. I get a headache just thinking about writing sed syntax. Maybe someone out there can help with a sed script?

I can't thank you guys enough for helping!

P.S. I found a way to launch MC, or bring it to focus if it's already running, using global Mac shortcut keys. It just needs a little tweaking. I'll post the link to the article if anyone is interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up