INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Customizations Lost  (Read 922 times)

debacle

• Recent member
Theater View Customizations Lost
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »

It seems with this update (or possibly .86 but I'm pretty sure .87) much of my Theater View customizations have been lost. I have not closed the program, and I have just copied my whole AppData\Roaming\J River folder to a separate location. I don't have a recent backup from before the update, because I'm an idiot. I'm still getting a sense of exactly what has been lost and what hasn't. I'll have to shut down the computer for the night pretty soon. Any suggestions on what to do, especially before I close J River, are much appreciated!

debacle

• Recent member
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:31 pm »

Ok I went ahead and tried restarting JRiver, and restarting the whole machine - no luck. In Tools > Options > Theater View I see two blank entries above the root Audio item. These could represent the "Podcasts" and "Radio" root items I know that I had. This gives me hope that the saved data didn't get overwritten, it's just that JRiver is failing to read it. However I had custom sub-entries under Shows, Movies, and Audio, and I do not see these anymore.

debacle

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:08:52 pm »

Last update:

I downgraded to .84 and then to .80 with no change (these were the 2 most recent in my downloads folder).

I then looked in the AppData\Roaming\J River folder I backed up before closing J River, and saw two extra "browser (theater view)" files, one called "browser (theater view) (1).jmd" and the other "browser (theater view).jmd.tmp". These had each been last modified about 24 hours ago, with the ".tmp" one being a bit more recent. All of the other files in the backup folder looked properly named when compared to my new AppData\Roaming\J River folder, and there were no other extra files.

I replaced my new "browser (theater view).jmd" with the ".tmp" one and restarted J River, and all is now well - at least, I don't see anything wrong/missing from what I can recall.

If you want to look into this, let me know if there are any files or bits of info I can provide. I have disabled automatic updates for now - possibly for always, with a manual backup just before doing each update in future.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View Customizations Lost
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:11:30 am »

Maybe the files were read only and the installer couldn't over-write them.

debacle

• Recent member
Re: Theater View Customizations Lost
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »

Yes maybe some process had a handle open at the time.

I think ideally:
- add an option to backup pertinent Roaming files before updating them, keeping the X last backups
- if any file could not be updated, show a popup in J River, including path to a log file that the user can look at themselves, and/or forward to a support thread
- keep showing this popup at J River startup until the user checks a "stop showing this until next failure" checkbox

Thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up