INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover View Display Blank  (Read 2806 times)

Wayniac

Cover View Display Blank
« on: March 27, 2015, 01:43:53 pm »

This is my first post here, I'd like to thank JRiver for this helpful venue.

I just moved from an iTunes/Win7 box to a brand new Mac Mini.  I've kept my previous iTunes version at 10.7 as I used CoverFlow a lot.  With my new Mac Mini, I'm done with iTunes 12 because as you may know, CoverFlow has been absent since version 11.  I find the stark-white background/grid view of iTunes objectionable.   I Thought the Cover View feature of MC would be a suitable replacement.

Unfortunately, when I select Cover View in MC 20, the screen is blank/white.  The other views function normally.  Please help!

Mac Mini, 4GB of RAM, running Yosemite.
Library consists of 775 albums ripped in Apple lossless format.
Album art images are 600x600 pixels.

Thanks in advance...

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Cover View Display Blank
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:51 pm »

Do you have anything playing when you select Cover View?  It's not like cover flow where you can preview covers
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:43 am »

Unfortunately, when I select Cover View in MC 20, the screen is blank/white.  The other views function normally. 

same here...it's like looking out of a window in the great white north

MC 20.0.80
OS X 10.10.2
MacBookPro7,1

Wayniac

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:20:51 am »

Do you have anything playing when you select Cover View?  It's not like cover flow where you can preview covers

Yes.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:16 pm »

I don't know the answer but asking question for possible ideas. Is your artwork embedded or did you use the iTunes "Get Artwork" feature when creating your files?

Wayniac

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:48:52 am »

Embedded, I think...I downloaded each image individually and pasted the image into the empty "album art" pane in the item's information window.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:03 am »

What happens when you go to the Album view?  It's not on the view menu.  Go to the left pane and click Audio, and then Albums from the drop down list.  You *should* see all of your album covers and the ones that don't have album art will have a blue background that indicates no cover found.

You can also drill into each file if you want in the Tag pane and look at the field called "Image File".  That will say "Inside File" if the art is internal.  Otherwise it will list where the art is, if it has it.

Personally, the Album view I described above is how I do 90% of my browsing.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:17 pm »

Embedded, I think...I downloaded each image individually and pasted the image into the empty "album art" pane in the item's information window.

That should have embedded the art. Two other ways to check are to open Finder and follow the path to your music files select an Artist, an Album and then a song. In the thumbnail of the files if artwork shows it should be embedded. If you have a little gray symbol instead of the artwork then it is not embedded.

I also occasionally check to be sure I'm not missing artwork in JRiver by creating a Smartlists with two conditions. Media is Audio and Artwork is Empty.

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but can't think of another issue for this problem.

Wayniac

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:49 am »

Thanks for the replies so far...

I've drilled down to individual songs in Finder and discovered the images are indeed embedded.

The album view feature functions normally.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:18:13 am »

Sounds like MC is working mostly correctly then.  Cover View is just weird to me, as it only shows ONE album cover:  Then one for the song that's playing.  I have no use for that.  Display view is very similar, but it seems to try to show the progress bar at the top as well.

Only my system both of these views are unreliable.  Sometimes they show full screen art.  Sometimes not quite full screen.  Sometimes there is a white or gray border in Cover view.  Most all the time I have a gray bar at the top of Display view; I'm assuming this is where the progress bar is supposed to be.

Worst thing though is that going to either view seems to screw up MC's interface.  Pop over menus (like the audio/DSP settings right next to shuffle mode) stop working, or show up in the wrong place.  Stopping and starting MC fixes it though.

So I just don't use those views as they are buggy and they don't do anything that I want.  They don't do anything that you want either.  They are NOT like cover flow.  Just one album cover at a time.  Use the albums view and I think you'll be happy.

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:47:10 am »

I have to apologize to you guys. You have been discussing Cover View and Cover View is indeed blank white on my screen also. I am actually using Display View which will give me a full screen view of the current cover playing (as long as you make the selection in the Display box in lower left corner to "Stretch" versus "100%".

You guys are saying one thing and I'm describing another. Sorry about that though Display view may give you more,of what you want. It will also switch as an album changes from one to the other and songs change when shuffling a playlist.

I now wonder if Cover View is blank because of the lack of the Theater View feature in JRIver for !ac or if these are unrelated.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:00 am »

Can anyone provide clarification as to why Cover View is simply a blank white screen?  I can select Standard View, Mini View and Display View and I get what would be expected.  Cover View though is nothing, just a white screen.  Is this a bug in the software or do I (and others) possible have some setting incorrect as to cause this error?

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:12:53 am »

I just figured out how to make cover view show a white screen on my system *and* how to have it show the cover.  If you are playing a song and you are NOT in playing now, cover view will show a white screen.  If you are in Playing Now, and the cover is in the center pane above the list of playing files, cover view shows the album cover.  It's ugly, as it's surrounded by white and gray borders, but its' there.  Display view is much better as it full screens the album cover.

Not sure if this helps, but it's how it works on my system.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up