INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio conversion  (Read 5809 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio conversion
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:51 am »

Hi

I have a wav library and want to create a FLAC library for the server and a lossy library for portables.

I usually use dBpoweramp to convert as it has the Batch Converter, and supposedly can convert a library, including a specified path, more quickly - it does appear to convert 8 tracks at once, plus it saves a Jong of the album cover in the folder, which I like.

Is MC equivalent? Can i batch convert simultaneous tracks? Can i specify a file path? Does anyone know if there is any advantage, in terms of quality of conversion, of using one converter over another.

20,000-something tracks to convert so I want a the best solution I can find!

Thanks
Z

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:56 am »

You can have your library in flac, and have MC convert tracks on the fly in batch when syncing your portable. No need to keep two libraries on your server.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:06:39 am »

Except I guess MC will make its own copy of the synced tracks somewhere. If so, make sure this storage is not auto imported in your library, or you will end up having double entries in MC.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:40:27 pm »

Except I guess MC will make its own copy of the synced tracks somewhere. If so, make sure this storage is not auto imported in your library, or you will end up having double entries in MC.

The conversion cache can be disabled.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio conversion
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »

Yes, you can specify a file path

Yes, you can batch convert (I believe max is 5 at a time)

There is no difference in conversion quality between MC or dBPA

As the others said, the best idea is to convert to FLAC, verify, and delete the .wav

Don't bother to convert to lossy just convert on the fly during sync.  If you don't re-sync the same tracks constantly there is no need for any conversion cache

Z0001

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:34:54 am »

Yes, you can specify a file path

Yes, you can batch convert (I believe max is 5 at a time)

There is no difference in conversion quality between MC or dBPA

As the others said, the best idea is to convert to FLAC, verify, and delete the .wav

Don't bother to convert to lossy just convert on the fly during sync.  If you don't re-sync the same tracks constantly there is no need for any conversion cache

I'm confused about how to get my MC audio collection onto my iPad. I have a lossless collection, but want a lossy version for the iPad. I can't see a format conversion option in the "Export ..." dialogue. Could someone walk me through.

Do I have to go through iTunes?

Many thanks
Z

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 05:25:36 am »

No iTunes !! ;D

You can sync your iPad directly with MC 20 . I haven't done it with my iPad but I use it regularly with my iPod Classic 180G

You can use iTunes but you would have to go to the trouble of converting to a lossy format somewhere on your drive and exporting into iTunes etc

Check out sync ing your handheld with MC direct

Mike

PaulZ

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:14 am »

How do you turn off the conversion cache?  I can not get three different quality levels of MP3 output because it seems MC uses the files in conversion cache instead of converting to the MP3 quality level specified.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:41:55 pm »

Complete Apple newbie here. (No choice, company phone, blah blah blah...) I was going to start a new topic, but I have a question relevant to this discussion.

No iTunes !! ;D

You can sync your iPad directly with MC 20 . I haven't done it with my iPad but I use it regularly with my iPod Classic 180G

I thought according to the sticky thread at the top of this board that this wasn't possible, that the ONLY way to get music onto your phone from your PC was through iTunes and you must export from JRiver to iTunes.  Is my understanding of this correct?  I use MC17 but would sure as hell upgrade to 20 if it meant kicking iTunes to the curb.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:52 pm »

MikeO is incorrect.

It works with non-iOS devices, like his iPod Classic, but not with any iOS device (like an iPhone or iPad).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up