INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Audio streaming error  (Read 4067 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
JRemote Audio streaming error
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:30:33 am »

I've got a problem playing mp3 files ('audio streaming error') since a couple of days. I've been using JRemote quite awhile now with no problems and nothing's changed on either iPad, computer or Wifi, so I haven't got a clue what might be the cause of this problem.
Anyone?
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Re: JRemote Audio stremming error
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »

The same problem here. For a few months now. Seems to happen when I rip CDs to ALAC format. Some will play, some get the error message mentioned above.
Quite annoying, to say the least. :)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:38 am »

Also musepack files doesn't seem to work in JRemote. Gizmo works.

MarkCoutinho

Re: JRemote Audio streaming error
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:16 am »

While waiting for an answer from LesPaul or whoever knows the answer, I tried some things myself in order to be able to be more specific to this problem:
- removing the app and reinstalling it on my iPad did not solve it
- the audio streaming error only happens when I have chosen 'This device'. When I choose 'Player' it does what it's supposed to do
- videos can be played with no problem on the iPad

I really haven't got a clue why/what/how...
Mark Coutinho

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:52:05 pm »

You're not transcoding to mp3 and running media center 20 for linux v84 are you? If yes, upgrade to v88
20.0.88 (3/30/2015)
1. Fixed: Build 84 broke transcoding to mp3 (as well as ogg and mpc) which would show up in a variety of places including playback to Gizmo and JRemote.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 02:40:47 am »

You're not transcoding to mp3 and running media center 20 for linux v84 are you? If yes, upgrade to v88.
No, I've only got original mp3's and I am using Windows 7. Crazy thing is that it's been working like a charm for 'ages', and suddenly this comes up. As far as I know I haven't changed a thing in either JRemote, MC, Windows or Firewall...

Any other suggestions?
Mark Coutinho

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »

Hi all,

I also experience these Audio Streaming errors with the install on my Mac Mini.  Is there some way to report them so that we can possibly crowd source the issue? 

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 03:33:09 am »

This seems to be a problem on different levels, then. I could be more precise about my own problem, perhaps:
1 - I'm running MC latest version on Windows 7 latest version.
2 - My iPad, Airport Extreme and my AppleTV are also running the latest version.
3 - Problem occurs only with files which are ripped to ALAC format on MC
4 - The problem will NOT occur on ALAC files downloaded on iTunes
5 - Covers and info will appear in JRemote, but instead of playing I (we) get this message quoted above.
6 - To sum it up: JRemote doesn't seem to function very well, sorry to say.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:29:03 am »

6 - To sum it up: JRemote doesn't seem to function very well, sorry to say.
or Apple TV; Airport Extreme is not totally compatible  -- so you can also say they don't function well outside of their Apple universe. Or not ... ::)

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 06:48:42 am »

Does anyone know what might be the cause of my (and other people's) problem? I'd be very grateful for that!
Mark Coutinho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:08:55 am »

No, I've only got original mp3's and I am using Windows 7. Crazy thing is that it's been working like a charm for 'ages', and suddenly this comes up. As far as I know I haven't changed a thing in either JRemote, MC, Windows or Firewall...

Any other suggestions?
If you didn't change anything, why do you think we can fix it?

You could try build 93.  It's on the forum.  But it's unlikely to have any effect.

Are you streaming locally?  On your own LAN?  Or are you doing it from another location?

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:59 am »

Bump...
I'm getting kind of frustrated here. It appears that I'm not the only one with this problem, but so far no-one of JRiver or LesPaul comes with a possible solution. That's not what I'm used to when using the interact forum in the last 12 years...
So, again: does anyone know what might be the cause of my (and other people's) problem? I'd be very grateful for that!

@Mark -- I tried streaming to my iphone (4 so it doesn't have the newest OS on it), and an iPad (with newest IOS) - both work for native FLAC, Flac transcoded to 320kps, and mp3s either (256VBR or 320Kps). I have tested this on my LAN and on WAN from my local pub. My server PC is running Win7 64bit. I am using authentication method by the way not an ip address I just can't reproduce your problem -- so imHo, its not on the JRemote side. Maybe you are on Win 8.1, they are always patching that? Driver issue? Do you have your own router, or did you "provider" give you one -- if the latter, you might want to check that they didn't flash an upgrade to factory defaults and make sure that your port forwarding is still set-up as before?   .. if you are not doing so already,  maybe you could try it using authentication in the "server" set up in JRemote? (doubt that would have anything to do with it, however) Will other file formats stream ok?

@okvaal  - don't have handy any ALAC files to check right now. If no one else chimes in I will try and test a couple of them. If you are using Airport in the streaming chain, I'd test it without it in the loop using WIFI directly (am assuming you, like Mark are talking about playing to the device and not as a controller). Are alac files the only ones that you have a problem with?  

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:53 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I just tried the "direct" wifi, but the result is the same as with the Extreme wi-fi. And yes, ALAC files (only those ripped in MC, not those downloaded from iTunes) are the only ones causing this. And yes, this happens when I attempt to play the files on my iPad using JRemote. I would really appreciate if someone could find out whether this problem is solveable, if it is not, I will have to start converting my ALAC/mp4 files.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:14:28 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I just tried the "direct" wifi, but the result is the same as with the Extreme wi-fi. And yes, ALAC files (only those ripped in MC, not those downloaded from iTunes) are the only ones causing this. And yes, this happens when I attempt to play the files on my iPad using JRemote. I would really appreciate if someone could find out whether this problem is solveable, if it is not, I will have to start converting my ALAC/mp4 files.

Okvaal ... could you please post this in a separate thread as this is not the same problem that the OP has.  You should indicate what OS you are using, if this is strictly a local problem or a WAN problem or both. And if you are on Windows or MAC. Refer to Alac in the subject line. When Robert gets back it will be easier for him to see ..

This probably doesn't apply to you, but there was a fix for ALAC file not too long ago (it was a beta version 72) ... it was not JRemote it was MC that could not playback high bit-rate ALAC files. Make sure you have the most recent build.

I'd also check by ripping a couple of tracks via an external program and importing them. If the are like the apple tracks and they stream correctly, this could be a bug in the Ripping module, or even in playback in MC itself (this you could check by using JRemote to control your stereo instead of pulling to JRemote. If it doesn't play, its not with JRemote.)

I'd check myself but I might not get around to it .... If the externally ripped files stream correctly, this is a bug to be corrected in JRiver itself I'd say.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 02:24:00 pm »

@Jim and @Arindelle
Well, I'll be darned... I was setting up to do some more tests and guess what? It just works! Just like in the 'old times'.
I don't have a clue what was the cause of the problem I experienced for over a month.
Jim made me think once more really hard and the only thing I DID change was the Control Channel (I changed it from 3 to 6 to avoid issues with my neighbours). But could that be the cause?
On the other hand: I did not change it back today and with this setting (CC=6) it works.
Then again: the difference with the last test is that I use MC version 93 now. Could it be that this version (or one of the prior ones) solved this issue?

Thanks for your suggestions and support, however. Really appreciate it. It leaves some questions open, but I'm happy it works again.
Mark Coutinho

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 02:41:42 pm »

well the JRiver works in mysterious ways :)

glad it worked out for you Mark, in anycase

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »

(Some background info :) : this thread was started by Mark, like you said, but after he added his question to my original thread in another group. In which we were told to move our topic to this group. So when Mark asked here, I thought it a good idea to add mine as well, supposing it was another side of the same coin.  :) )

My OS and other info are posted above here, but I'd gladly repost it any time if there is a chance of having this solved. Maybe I should wait for a few weeks until Robert is back?? But one final question though; what do you mean by "using JRemote to control your stereo instead of pulling to JRemote"?

Glad to hear Mark got his problems solved, though. Even if - like he says - it leaves a few questions still unanswered.

Arindelle

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:09:19 pm »

@Okvaal

sure no problem I get it ... just think that no one is going to revisit the thread is all. Or you could bump your prior thread changing the subject line don't know didn't read your other thread :) Jim's probably the only one who reads everything here  ;D

If its a problem with ripping ALACs via MC probably better to find out right away, wouldn't have anything to do with Robert. I'm starting to think it is, otherwise why would the apple ALACs play.

But one final question though; what do you mean by "using JRemote to control your stereo instead of pulling to JRemote"?
well most people I think use JRemote as a remote controller, not a device to receive a stream (a renderer)- that just a plus. ipads and iphones are not the best renderers... Especially cool on headless systems with no monitor. You choose the zone on the bottom left and you have access to all your zones. I'm sure you know all that LOL I'm communication skills challenged . [edited for gibberish]
Pages: [1]   Go Up