INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple TV Audio Through JRiver?  (Read 3781 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Apple TV Audio Through JRiver?
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:05:01 am »

I would like to direct the S/PDIF digital output from the Apple TV to the digital input of the Mac Mini and then play through JRiver so I can use MCs DSP functions.   Is there a way to do that without an intervening application, perhaps using the WDM driver?

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Apple TV Audio Through JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:56:24 am »

I would like to direct the S/PDIF digital output from the Apple TV to the digital input of the Mac Mini and then play through JRiver so I can use MCs DSP functions.   Is there a way to do that without an intervening application, perhaps using the WDM driver?

Yes if you have a soundcard with a digital input you can use the wdm driver to send audio through jrmc without any other intervening application
I actually prefer another route that uses an intervening application. The Apple TV can send audio to AirPlay devices. This was I think mainly intended for AirPlay enabled speakers.  I have installed shairpor4w, a software AirPlay receiver, on the htpc that sends the received audio to jrmc through the wdm driver. You can even adjust the delay in shairport4w to have the audio in sync with the video played on the apple tv.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:54:37 pm »

Well, then the WDM driver is apparently not working for me.  

I have a Mac Mini which has a built in sound card as well as a Lynx Hilo outboard DAC.   When I direct the digital stream from the Apple TV into the Mac Mini digital input with MC 20 selected as the default device in the WIN7 sound app I get no signal through JRiver.    What am I doing wrong?   I have the Hilo USB ASIO driver selected in MC20 as the audio output device and I aways tell MC to install the WDM driver with each update.   How can I even tell if the WDM driver is installed?   Should the WIN7 sound app have an explicit WDM driver as a selection?  I have tried that "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)/Cirrus Logic" device in the WIN7 sound app as the default and nothing.

UPDATE:  I am playing some music on YouTube and it is coming through JRiver so the WDM driver must be installed and working.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »

Are you sure the SPDIF on the Mac is inbound?  As far as I knew, the SPDIF was only outbound.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »

Are you sure the SPDIF on the Mac is inbound?  As far as I knew, the SPDIF was only outbound.

The spec (a Mac Mini 2012) shows "Audio line in minijack (digital/analog)".     

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:57:28 pm »

Could also be a BootCamp driver issue.    I will reinstall the Bootcamp drivers and see.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:00 am »

Could also be a BootCamp driver issue.    I will reinstall the Bootcamp drivers and see.

Take MC out of the equation first:
See if you can (in OSX) get that input to work properly.
If so, then see if you can do the same in Windows.

There may be a limitation with the Windows drivers, or a general Windows audio configuration issue here.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »

Take MC out of the equation first:
See if you can (in OSX) get that input to work properly.
If so, then see if you can do the same in Windows.

There may be a limitation with the Windows drivers, or a general Windows audio configuration issue here.

I will check that out in OS X shortly.  Meanwhile I also have a digital signal available via USB record input from my Lynx Hilo AD/DA yet I dont see that coming into JRiver MC either when source is active.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

It looks like the S/PDIF signal directly from the ATV to the Mac Mini is working under Windows as its signal shows up on the Cirrus Logic Digital Audio device in the recording tab of the Win7  sound app; same with the digital output from the Lynx to Mac Mini via USB - it shows signal on the USB record/Lynx Hilo device in the recording tab.  However, there is no signal under the playback tab in the Win7 sound app for these sources.   

It appears that the MC WDM driver does not intercept the recording signals, only the playback signals.   So it looks like one does need a playback application for these sources to redirect to JRiver.   I guess I could install a DAW application on the WiN7 partition and playback to MC.  Question for JRiver:  Is it possible to build in some kind of functionality in MC to intercept and playback/redirect the record signals without having another application do it? 

)p(

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:49 pm »

Did you try selecting the wdm driver in the listen tab of the sound properties of the recording device?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:48 pm »

Did you try selecting the wdm driver in the listen tab of the sound properties of the recording device?
Yes, I clicked the listen checkbox and then selected MC20 (it doesn't say "WDM" but I assume it is) as the device to playback to but still no signal in JRiver.

)p(

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:48:17 pm »

Yes, I clicked the listen checkbox and then selected MC20 (it doesn't say "WDM" but I assume it is) as the device to playback to but still no signal in JRiver.

Must be a driver issue then?  It does work for me on a regular windows pc with windows 8.1 using digital inputs.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 03:05:39 pm »

Must be a driver issue then?  It does work for me on a regular windows pc with windows 8.1 using digital inputs.
Does it require a reboot?   I wouldn't think so but will try.   I am also using WIN7 Ultimate.   

)p(

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:57 pm »

Does it require a reboot?   I wouldn't think so but will try.   I am also using WIN7 Ultimate.   

I just tried connecting my usb sound device and it inputs worked without rebooting through the wdm driver.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:57 am »

I installed the Reaper DAW on the Windows side and it sees the incoming record stream just fine but it doesn't show up in JRiver on playback through Reaper.   I would think if this were a bootcamp driver problem the record signal wouldn't show at all.    Also by playing back through Reaper am I not taking the S/PDIF digital audio interface out of the equation as far as MC is concerned and therefore shouldn't the WDM driver intercept the playback signal?   Isn't the WDM driver designed to intercept any playback signal?   Anyone else with a Mac mini having this issue?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

Got it working.   Simply had to unmute the Windows mixer icon in the lower right dock tray.   Now just one problem:  audio is out of sync with video.   I am sure there must be an easy fix for that, right?

)p(

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:49:04 pm »

Got it working.   Simply had to unmute the Windows mixer icon in the lower right dock tray.   Now just one problem:  audio is out of sync with video.   I am sure there must be an easy fix for that, right?

Not sure. I can't because there is too much delay through the digital inputs on my htpc. As I mentioned above I can with AirPlay using shairport4w as a software AirPlay receiver.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:18 am »

Solved the sync problem!    There is a setting in the Lynx Hilo Asio driver USB control panel for minimum latency buffering.  Syncing is now near perfect with no other side effects so far.    And yes, Austin City Limits really benefits from JRiver's DSP settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up