INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Library Copy  (Read 2343 times)

al1947

• World Citizen
Problem with Library Copy
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:52 am »

Because of the awkward way A&K players connect to Macs, I need to copy my music files to another location so I can distribute them among the internal memory and mSD cards, change file and path names to suit the Android File Transfer Utility, and generally fuss with them.

Using smart playlists, I have divided my library into the pieces I need. But then when I use Tools/Library Tools/Rename, Move, & Copy Files/Copy to make the copies, not all the files get copied.

Oddly, one batch of 3,452 files copies without problem. However, the other two batches (4,060 and 4,796 files respectively) do not. I come up more than 500 files short on each. There is no obvious pattern to this -- happens for FLAC, AIFF, MP3, and M4A file types, and for large and small file sizes. I've tried the obvious: breaking the job up into smaller pieces; no luck.

Any suggestions

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
Re: Problem with Library Copy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:01:12 am »

Hello Al,

Are you copying them to an OS X partition?

I know you are not having the same problem as I do, but I have an AK240, and I used to have the similar problem when I copy a lot of files into A&K. The connection suddenly gets lost and etc. It seems that A&K also doesn't like to have so many files in one folder, so what I did was having a folder per each album.

It seems that you have a lot of files that you would like to play in your A&K, so trying to duplicate what I did may be daunting. Hence, break them down into several more folders and try it. It will probably work. As you know, Android is not case-sensitive, nor can you use as long file names as what you can with OS X.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Y. G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:13:25 am »

That should be reported to the manufacturer. They might have a firmware update.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:54:42 am »

That should be reported to the manufacturer. They might have a firmware update.
I agree, Jim. :) They are constantly updating firmwares, so the problems do get removed one by one.

I think these problems are happening because there aren't a lot of people using higher capacity mSDs or HD music players just yet. Well, Head-Fi people would say otherwise, but these products are still niche products. AK240 can take 128GB mSD, so the capacity is twice bigger than new SONY ZX2, but I had to figure out by myself I need to format mSD from AK240 to work it out just right. Also most 128GB mSDs in the market are compatible with AK240, and I found that Samsung mSD has the biggest capacity, but even the people at iRiver doesn't know about this. ;) I hope iRiver has forums like JRiver does. :) Due to the competition now, I guess they will improve as quickly as they can. :)

Anyway, my problems were solved once I copied folders by albums, so I am enjoying it whole a lot. I wish it can support MCH music files though. Well, maybe someday! :D

Best regards,
Y. G.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:39:40 am »

Copying onto the A&K on a Mac is a nightmare in itself... but that's an issue for them. However, that's not what I am asking about.

My problem is with copying music files from one folder on my Mac to another folder on the Mac. Again, for no reason that I can isolate, a significant number of files don't copy. Even when I break the transfer up into smaller pieces.

I am using the attached renaming and file creation scheme. I thought that might be causing problems, but I have tried all the presets and still having the problem. Closest thing I can come to a clue is that when copying one particular track, the subfolder for the artist is created but not the subfolder for albums - and of course not the track that should be inside the album folder.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »

... Closest thing I can come to a clue is that when copying one particular track, the subfolder for the artist is created but not the subfolder for albums - and of course not the track that should be inside the album folder.
What is the album name on that one?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jimwc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:37:28 pm »

I have two issues/requests for the Move and Copy operations that may be related to this problem.  

1) When I use the Copy operation, if a file already exists at the destination, MC appears to skip the copy.  That is good and expected behavior.  However, when I try to Move a file from my local PC to the destination drive and the file already exists there, I receive an error.  This also means that the Library tag pointing to the new destination does not get updated.  Yes, for these files, I could use the "Update Database" instead of "rename" operation, but if I select a mix of files (some of which exist at the destination, some don't), it is frustrating when only some of those files have their destination locations updated.

2) I would really like to see an option for Copy that grabs all files in the directory.  This option exists for Move (rename), but not Copy (the checkbox is checked but greyed out; only the FLACs move, not the PDF of liner notes, etc).

Thanks.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:18 pm »

Hello Al,

It turned out JimWC is on the right track. Please check if you have duplicate files, for an example, one with x.flac and the other with x(1).flac. Using your method, the copy process will stop if you have two files having the same metadata property. I just tried out and that's what happened to me. Since a copying is done from the top to the bottom of your playlist, you will probably be able to track down where things went wrong pretty easily.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Y. G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up