INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR LAUNCH  (Read 1815 times)

tasar

• World Citizen
JR LAUNCH
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:39:01 pm »

Before moving to Yosemite, one could choose MC to launch upon login or startup. With .80 and .87 this has not worked. Other steps ?

tasar

• World Citizen
Re: JR LAUNCH
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »

So everyone is able to auto launch MC with Yosemite upon startup ? Pretty convenient when you're trying to eliminate use of a screen.

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:01:01 am »

I'm not using Yosemite, but I have  mountain lion configured to start MC on boot up , I'm running MC version .87 and it works fine.
Cheers,
Mike

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 06:26:00 pm »

It will launch JRiver, but what doesn't work is the option only to launch media server. It's disappointing this hasn't been fixed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:50:21 pm »

Are you using MC's Startup options?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:36 pm »

It will launch JRiver, but what doesn't work is the option only to launch media server. It's disappointing this hasn't been fixed.

Are you using MC's Startup options?

Peregrino is correct.

Tools > Options > Startup > Mac Startup > Run on Mac Startup does not function properly on OSX 10.10 when you set it to Media Server (only) mode.  It does enable Media Server, which runs up in the "icon tray" (by the clock), but it also launches the full MC UI on boot.  This renders it effectively identical to choosing the Media Center and Media Server mode.

I've also noticed that the performance of the toolbar icon in 10.10 is... Not good.  When you shut down the main UI of Media Center, the toolbar icon freezes for 30-45 seconds on my Core i7 Mini, and the Media Center 20 process shows up in Activity Manager as having pegged a single core of the CPU for that period of time (often turning to "red/unresponsive").  This does cure itself after a little while, and then it functions again, but performance and behavior are certainly non-ideal.

I did not have this issue on 10.9.  I'll note that I've had trouble with other applications that launch directly to the icon tray in Yosemite (GoodSync seems to have finally gotten it with recent builds, but it has had similar problems since 10.10 was released).  I think something changed in how applications have permission to do this, probably due to the changes with Yosemite "re-launching the applications you had open when restarting".  I even have trouble with built-in applications sometimes popping up their UI (like Activity Monitor) after reboots.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Peregrino

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »

Peregrino is correct.

Tools > Options > Startup > Mac Startup > Run on Mac Startup does not function properly on OSX 10.10 when you set it to Media Server (only) mode.  It does enable Media Server, which runs up in the "icon tray" (by the clock), but it also launches the full MC UI on boot.  This renders it effectively identical to choosing the Media Center and Media Server mode.

Yes, that's exactly it, and very well described. I saw it reported on this forum some time ago so presumed it was a known problem that would be solved.

EDIT BY MOD: You got a little wacky with the Quote button in the post editor there.  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:50 am »

I'll admit, I run my Mac copies of MC as clients to servers running on Windows, so I usually have those options on OSX set to Nothing.  I use the Mac version more and more now, though, as a client.

I have run my Mini with the Media Network server turned on in the past (to re-serve the Windows library, actually, for my own wacky purposes).  That's how I know it worked right on 10.9, but I turned that off when I upgraded to Yosemite and hadn't tested it until last night.  I suspect my setup is largely the same for most of the developers, at least with their "home systems" they use every night.  And, like I said, I've seen other flaky launch-on-login behavior on Yosemite, so it could be that it's just wacky and hard to fix it, and they have other fish to fry.

I'm trying to pay better attention to the Mac sub-board here*.  Reporting issues clearly, and keeping on top of it, is the best way to get things done that matter to you.

* To be clear in case you didn't know, I'm a mod here on the forum, but I don't work for JRiver.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up